GuiguiBaah Music

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Three

#16 Post by guiguibaah »

- added update above -
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#17 Post by drek »

Interesting. This sort of thing is good for immersion.

Might sound cool mixed in with an soft ambient theme; if we use sound effects like this, the galaxy screen music shouldn't be overpowering.

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#18 Post by miu »

Sounds very good :) I really like the whale voices at Ocean1.ogg.
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#19 Post by pd »

great stuff here ;) ocean1 is my favourite too

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#20 Post by Obiwan »

Excellant work, Ive been listening to them for the last hour, Might have them looping in the background for inspiration while working on scenes.

The Barren needs something more imho. Maybe a more mournful sound like the wind sometimes makes, subtle but consistant, less silant gaps. Falling rock idea is great but sometimes is too regular, which lets you know its digitally created. Also the echo effect somehow gives me the impression of a confined space rather than empty canyons.

But let me say again excellant. Jungle /Swamp- very good :) :) .Ocean - definatly :D . Irradiated - Id like this one to be longer cause its good. :lol:

Inferno and Desert had some sort of repititious sound prob-(imo). but for some reason my ogg player is refusing to launch right now so I cant quite say what it is.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#21 Post by Obiwan »

Just listened on proper speakers instead of earphones and Im no longer sure if the above criticisms hold true. :?
Rock falls on the Barren clip sound sampled not digital. Maybe the finality of the larger falls gave me the impression. A mournful desolate wide open wind sound would still be good. Like an aaaahhhh sound but with no obvious ending.

The inferno clip is really very good, though the clanging sound reminds me of steel door rather than an eruption of pressure.

The desert one isnt repetative at all. Maybe the wind sound could be longer going from start to finish and be more dominant than the sand noise. A buffeting wind sound would make it different.

Toxic is brilliant, like that alot.
Ill have to watch these headphones, not as good as I thought.

Satyagraha
Space Kraken

#22 Post by Satyagraha »

ocean, irradiated, toxic & inferno are very nice... i agree that barren needs some work, tho. sounds like a cave to me. the rain in swamp could be more constant - it seems to change every few seconds. hm.. after listening to it again, maybe toxic could use something that makes ppl think of toxic stuff... like a steam noise now & then that could be toxic gas released in the atmosphere, or a rattlesnake noise (kinda silly i know but i think it may work). keep it up :)

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#23 Post by LithiumMongoose »

For some reason Barren and Irradiated won't play, says they have 00'00 duration even though the file size is nonzero... weird. From what I've read though, Barren sounding like being in a cave is probably a good thing.

Love both jungles and both oceans. The whale noises remind me of Star Trek IV. :)

Inferno has some start/stop issues midway through. Not sure what the orch hit effect is supposed to be for exactly, but it fits I guess. Nice bubbling.

Desert has the nice sand shifting sound effect, hmm... yeah I like it... Terran needs more though. I dunno, something. Birds are nice but they're almost all there is, maybe a babbling brook/stream off in the distance, throw in a frog once in a while, ooh and an owl, an owl would be great. ;)

Not sure I like the extra effects in Tundra, not sure what they're supposed to be. The wind in this one however is excellent. Imo throw in a twinkling effect once in a while, like for the Aurora Borealis that should be overhead or something. :p

Toxic is really good but I also love Saty's idea for a rattlesnake. Imo a steam vent would also be good but put it in Inferno where you're more likely to have, well, hot steam. :p

Nice though. Glad to see someone tackling this aspect of the audio work. Love the source pictures too; Barren Desert and Jungle in particular are magnificent (just talking about the pictures now :).

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Update

#24 Post by guiguibaah »

Posted an update on the first post.
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#25 Post by drek »

So far only listened to electronic race combat and it's bloody sweet. Nice clean samples, esp. the drums.

edit: Listening to humanoid combat: great strings! I've got sample envy: it all sounds very professional.

edit 2: Listening to some the rest now. It's all excellent; I don't think we need to look any further for FO's music. (though I'm not digging the Trag tracks as much as the others)

We need someplace where guiguibaah can stash all his stuff. Sourceforge maybe?

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#26 Post by Obiwan »

Combat 1 is awesome.
They are all suberb, your a real talented artist guiguibaah.

StratCaster
Space Kraken

good stuff

#27 Post by StratCaster »

I've been lurking on this board for a while now. This is my first post.

I've been meaning to organize some of my music and post a link. I haven't had the time or the focus, but I hope to soon. Although the music will probably be decided and wrapped up by then. We'll see what happens.

Guiguibaah, those were some great pieces... I especially liked 'victory', its perfect! great ending.... I liked 'combat1' a lot too, although, it sounds more like it could be ambient/in-game music (like in Starcraft).

'Battle2' is another good one, although I might add some harmonic/rhythmic change, equivilant to a bridge or something to break up the repetitive main riff (which is great by the way).

well done.

Zed
Krill Swarm

#28 Post by Zed »

Wow...

Once again, I'm amazed at the quality of media that is coming out of this project.

Top-notch.
--Zed

drek
Designer Emeritus

#29 Post by drek »

Hope we see guiguibaah's stuff in the next release. Some of gui's music is just great. Btw, looking for the landscape samples (as a part of tzlaine's request for sound effects).

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#30 Post by LithiumMongoose »

Well so far gui's stuff is only combat music (no tactical combat yet in 0.3) and Trag themes (no races til 0.8 or thereabouts). But yeah I like some of his sound effects and most of his planetary ambients so far, certainly wouldn't mind incorporating those soon. :)