Will Atari shut you guys down?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

KurtGodel7
Space Floater

Will Atari shut you guys down?

#1 Post by KurtGodel7 »

I was just wondering whether Atari is doing anything to you guys. After all, you are using the name "orion" to refer to a space strategy video game for the PC. Also, some of the game elements might be considered similar to those in the Orion series. So I was just wondering if you've received a threatening/intimidating letter from them, or were told you should avoid doing certain things. I realize you might not be able to answer these questions, but if you could it would be much appreciated.

noelte
Juggernaut

#2 Post by noelte »

you are joking!?

freeorion == master of orion??????????

freeciv == civilization???????
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

a_claudiu
Space Floater

Don't wonder too much

#3 Post by a_claudiu »

Don't wonder too much, Orion is a real name (star game), the principles are quite different and the MOO3 was crap and nobody will try to follow it.
Are you trying to threat somebody?

drek
Designer Emeritus

#4 Post by drek »

Indeed, Orion is a starname. And FO bears only a token resemblance to any moo game. If the game police show up, we simple change the name.

KurtGodel7
Space Floater

#5 Post by KurtGodel7 »

Thanks for the responses. Yes, my question was seriously asked, because you never know how lawyers will act. I was just wondering whether anyone had investigated this.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#6 Post by Aquitaine »

There's no way to 'investigate' it. If we ask them, they are obligated to say no (defense of trademark) and asking them quadruples the likelyhood that they will have to come after us, whereas they can just pretend we don't exist (which is probably what Firaxis does with FreeCiv).
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

MisterMerf
Space Squid

#7 Post by MisterMerf »

Drek wrote:Indeed, Orion is a starname. And FO bears only a token resemblance to any moo game. If the game police show up, we simple change the name.
Taking the quote at face value, I must respond with "Whoa! Do you really mean that?"

Having just discovered Free Orion, in connection with M003, it looks like every aspect of the game is derived from (if not implemented identically to) M003.

Starlanes, planet production, everything on the version roadmap...yeah. All of it.

/me settles down and continues poking around.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#8 Post by drek »

aspect of the game is derived from (if not implemented identically to) M003.
Actually, this project started due to disappointment with moo3. There's no scrap of FO that is implemented identically to moo3. The starlanes are the only similarity, and even they work differently from moo3 starlanes.

noelte
Juggernaut

#9 Post by noelte »

@MisterMerf
moo is the first game you saw which includes starlanes? or planet production? I guess you haven't played many sci-fi games, have you?

Maybe you can call fo a moo-like game. But imo thats only true because moo + moo2 where great games which had set some standards.

But look at all the ego-shooters, they have much more in common than fo with moo3
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

PowerCrazy
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by PowerCrazy »

KurtGodel7: To answer your question. IF someone shows up, which I imagine will happen around the release of .5 or .6, they will have a heck of a time trying to stop us. We simply change the country that hosts us, and who are they going to sue?

They want to pursue us, let them. But I find it highly doubtful that they will be able to establish a case. The way big companies shut down little projects like this is just the threat of legal action, then they hope that we get scared and submit. If we stand up to them, which is where I come in, they can make the next move, and can then use delay tactics etc. all they want. It won't cost us anything. When/if the trial date is finally established, I show up, explain to the judge the difference between our project and the trash that moo3 was, sprinkle some Charisma, possibly play the victim card, a little legalspeak to establish my competence and viola case dismissed. I would actually be looking forward to it.

So, no I'm not actually "worried" about it.

@MisterMerf: Freeorion has as much in common with Moo3 as it does with any 4X space adventure game. That is not a whole lot. Yes there are base similarities, but those are hardly dervied from Moo3 exclusivly. Research is from HOI, planet management is uniquely our own design, Starlanes work more like Ascendency then Moo3, space combat is goign to be our own as well. When races are implemented, they will not be anything like Moo3 (or any of the Moos for that matter.) The only thing that FreeOrion definetly shares with Moo3, is the name "Orion".
Aquitaine is my Hero.... ;)

LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by LithiumMongoose »

<cue infantry march chant>

Let's go, P-C, he's our man...
with him a-round we won't get banned...

<throw in a little Russian dance flourish>

HEY!

<segue to tap-dancing to the tune of Yellow Rose of Texas>

Okay so I'm officially insane... I think my original thought though was, good to hear PowerCrazy, glad we have at least one person like you around. :)

vorenhutz
Pupating Mass

#12 Post by vorenhutz »

Atari can't even be bothered to acknowledge the guys who are slowly fixing moo3 by hacking the exe, and telling everyone on the atari boards about it. So I doubt very much they will do anything about FO, even if they may be within their rights to do so.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by Impaler »

I wonder, as FreeOrion gets further along in Development will all thouse people trying to fix Moo3 flock to our nice Open Source project after realizing that Moo3 is unfixable or not worth the effort? I hope so
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

PowerCrazy
Creative Contributor

#14 Post by PowerCrazy »

We WILL be getting more people as our project matures. How aqui/tyreth are going to handle the new influx is going to be interesting.

I think we are planning on /. it around when V.4 is released. The flood gates will be opened, and we will have to take all the trash with the potential. Should be exciting.
Aquitaine is my Hero.... ;)

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#15 Post by Tyreth »

PowerCrazy wrote:We WILL be getting more people as our project matures. How aqui/tyreth are going to handle the new influx is going to be interesting.

I think we are planning on /. it around when V.4 is released. The flood gates will be opened, and we will have to take all the trash with the potential. Should be exciting.
More likely 0.3, so we're going to put a big focus on getting this next release right - looking good, bugtested, etc. Edit: See this thread - viewtopic.php?t=855

As for being ready for an influx of people...*pulls out riot shield and shotgun*...bring 'em on!

On a serious note though, this thread explains one of the best ways you can help us prepare for it:
viewtopic.php?t=895