The Help Thread

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#106 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Edit: OK, I ended up using the text commands from the Wiki.

I had originally assumed these were only applicable to Linux, since it says "CVS can be obtained in Linux using these commands:".

Someone who knows what there doing might want to change that (the Wiki) to better indicate the commands' usefulness for anyone...

(full CVS checkout instructions for a windows GUI would be nice too, but I figured a one line alteration was more realistic).

Edit: removed OT discussion after PM on subject

vorenhutz
Pupating Mass

#107 Post by vorenhutz »

tzlaine wrote: You guys should both try using the free MS compiler. MS recently made the MSVC++ 7.x compiler free for download.
The compiler is free, but the IDE (visual studio) is not. The free version has no support for projects, so is fairly useless, of itself, for compiling FO.
Unless I'm missing some helpful link in the labyrinth that is MS's site, that is.

vishnou00
Space Kraken

#108 Post by vishnou00 »

There isn't a make util (at least there are gnu one)? a project doesn't do much (other than what a makefile already does).

But I agree, having to maintain all those makefiles would be a pain...

Geoff the Medio

#109 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I just got a fresh set of source files off CVS (July 7, 3:00 AM EST) and am attempting to compile in MSVC7.1.

I'm getting a bunch of errors in Universe.h, apparently due to the new code (compared to my 5 or 6 day old Universe.h that compiles fine):

Code: Select all

ENUM_STREAM_IN(PlanetType)
ENUM_STREAM_OUT(PlanetType)
A representative sample of the errors:

Code: Select all

c:\FreeOrion\universe\Universe.h(84): error C2059: syntax error : ')'
c:\FreeOrion\universe\Universe.h(84): error C2065: 'GetEnumMap' : undeclared identifier
c:\FreeOrion\universe\Universe.h(84): error C2275: 'PlanetType' : illegal use of this type as an expression
c:\FreeOrion\universe\Universe.h(85): error C2593: 'operator <<' is ambiguous
c:\FreeOrion\universe\Universe.h(85): error C3861: 'GetEnumMap': identifier not found, even with argument-dependent lookup
Is this me, or some badly written macros?

noelte
Juggernaut

#110 Post by noelte »

I think you need the new GiGi cvs code as well. Maybe it will be enough if you get GLEnum.h

Geoff the Medio

#111 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Thanks, noelte. Compiled fresh GG and tried again, and it worked fine.

Except: Now the only animated planet images I seem to be seeing are the asteroids ones. None of the other planet images are shown. (I have the art). Not sure if this is a bug, or something to do with the new xml file?

Also, regarding the framerates in the XML file, I'd suggest putting "default" to a lower frame rate, so that gas giants and asteroids spin slower.

noelte
Juggernaut

#112 Post by noelte »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Except: Now the only animated planet images I seem to be seeing are the asteroids ones. None of the other planet images are shown. (I have the art). Not sure if this is a bug, or something to do with the new xml file?
It's not a bug it's an feature;-) Zach implemented a rotationable sphere with mapped texture. But until now, those textures are missing. I hope pd manages to create those missing textures.
Geoff the Medio wrote: Also, regarding the framerates in the XML file, I'd suggest putting "default" to a lower frame rate, so that gas giants and asteroids spin slower.
It's about to change. Btw: you can specify those speed in planets/planets.xml.

Geoff the Medio

#113 Post by Geoff the Medio »

noelte wrote:It's not a bug it's an feature;-) Zach implemented a rotationable sphere with mapped texture. But until now, those textures are missing.
Is the rendering disabled right now, then? I'd have thought he couldn't put in a solid colour texture, just to be sure the spheres are actually being rendered... :?
I hope pd manages to create those missing textures.
yes, that would be most helpful :wink:
Geoff the Medio wrote: Also, regarding the framerates in the XML file, I'd suggest putting "default" to a lower frame rate, so that gas giants and asteroids spin slower.
It's about to change. Btw: you can specify those speed in planets/planets.xml.
Uh... what other "XML file" did you think I was referring to?

And is that file going to be used with the textured spheres? Right now it's all about images to cycle through, not textures for a given planet size. (changing the xml file won't do me much good if the file won't be used and the images don't show now...)

noelte
Juggernaut

#114 Post by noelte »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
noelte wrote:It's not a bug it's an feature;-) Zach implemented a rotationable sphere with mapped texture. But until now, those textures are missing.
Is the rendering disabled right now, then? I'd have thought he couldn't put in a solid colour texture, just to be sure the spheres are actually being rendered... :?
Forget about it for now. No need to worry about things which are meant to been changed.
Geoff the Medio wrote: Uh... what other "XML file" did you think I was referring to?
From memory default/art/small/planets/planets.xml
Geoff the Medio wrote: And is that file going to be used with the textured spheres? Right now it's all about images to cycle through, not textures for a given planet size. (changing the xml file won't do me much good if the file won't be used and the images don't show now...)
The xml at it's current style won't be used anymore, but i believe i'm going to replace it with another. That's needed to tweak/mod speeds and other things you might think of.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#115 Post by pd »

I hope pd manages to create those missing textures.
i will definitely, but i guess i won't be able to do this till the release of v0.2. so i would recommend to go with static planet images for v0.2(at least we have enough of them ;)

MisterMerf
Space Squid

#116 Post by MisterMerf »

Directed this way by Tyreth after getting freeorion to compile and run...

New problem!

1097909840 ERROR : Video mode set failed: Couldn't find matching GLX visual
1097909840 FATAL : Initiating Exit (code 1 - error termination)
1097909840 DEBUG : SDLQuit() complete.

From Mo Budlong: "Where log4cpp falls down is the documentation. Each individual class is thoroughly documented, but there is little or nothing on how to tie the objects together to use log4cpp. The log4cpp document states "it is like log4j." If you hunt down documentation on log4j it consists of a one-article introduction to using log4j."

He's right. Anyway, grep tells me that nothing in the freeorion or GG projects calls a glX function.
Is SDL 1.2.7 falling down on me for some reason?
Does anyone have hints for using the log4cpp traces properly?

Thanks,

Jon

Edit: My OpenGL stuff:
xorg-x11-Mesa-libGL-6.8.1-4
xorg-x11-Mesa-libGLU-6.8.1-4

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#117 Post by Tyreth »

Could be that you are not running a 24/32bit resolution.

Edit default/config.xml and change <color-depth>32</color-depth> to 16 or 24

MisterMerf
Space Squid

#118 Post by MisterMerf »

Tyreth wrote:Could be that you are not running a 24/32bit resolution.

Edit default/config.xml and change <color-depth>32</color-depth> to 16 or 24
Yep. Somehow or another, I was in 16-bit color. Thanks again.

*laughs*
It's just like one of those calls to tech support.

Customer: My PC doesn't work.
Tech: What happens when you press the power button?
Customer: Nothing!
Tech: Is your machine plugged in?
<pause>
Customer: Oh.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#119 Post by Impaler »

I need Help just figuring out how to get all these Libraries to work with my Compiler so I can START trying to compile FO. Can any one Familiar with the Bloodshed Dev C++ Compiler give me instructions on how to do this, the Wiki dosent realy explain much (might be wise to update it).
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#120 Post by tzlaine »

Impaler wrote:I need Help just figuring out how to get all these Libraries to work with my Compiler so I can START trying to compile FO. Can any one Familiar with the Bloodshed Dev C++ Compiler give me instructions on how to do this, the Wiki dosent realy explain much (might be wise to update it).
I have experience with it. The first step, is to uninstall DevC++. The second step is to use a Linux distro, or the MSVC++ 7.1 compiler. :) Sorry, but DevC++ is no longer supported, and believe me when I say you're in over your head trying to get it to work.