My Ships

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
iamrobk
Space Dragon

My Ships

#1 Post by iamrobk »

Here are some renders of a carrier I just made:

It's supposed to be a carrier. The small ship is a fighter (untextured, but I think it's looking pretty good). These renders are like 2 days old, but I can't remember if I changed the models at all.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by pd »

since you are posting them here, i suppose you want some critique.

on the big one i can clearly see texture seams(at least it looks like seams) -> the texture coordinates need more work. basicly you should try to make the uvw-chunks as big as possible, but remain minimal distortion. for this special ship it would be even possible to have only one chunk using cylindrical mapping as a base.

the texture itself is way too simple. i can't recognize any surface details, just brownish specks. what material is it supposed to be? metal? something organic? rock?

for my tase, the main shape of the ship is kinda boring as it is now, though can be improved.

having in mind that fighters will be seen as fairly small dots most of the time, the small ship's shape looks good.

don't get discouraged by my harsh critique, keep on working! we've still pretty much time left until we need this kind of stuff. so there is enough time to practice.

as a generall hint, you should never jump right into the 3d software of your choice and start modelling. take a pencil and start sketching, keep it simple try to get interesting shapes and then start adding details here and there.
Last edited by pd on Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#3 Post by iamrobk »

pd wrote:since you are posting them here, i suppose you want some critique.

on the big one i can clearly see texture seams(at least it looks like seams) -> the texture coordinates need more work. basicly you should try to make the uvw-chunks as big as possible, but remain minimal distortion. for this special ship it would be even possible to have only one chunk using cylindrical mapping as a base.

the texture itself is way too simple. i can't recognize any surface details, just brownish specks. what material is it supposed to be? metal? something organic? rock?

for my tase, the main shape of the ship is kinda boring as it is now, though can be improved.

having in mind that fighters will be seen as fairly small dots most of the time, the small ship's shape looks good.

don't get discouraged by my harsh critique, keep on working! we've still pretty much time left until we need this kind of stuff. so there is enough time to practice.

as a generall hint you should never jump right into the 3d software of your choice. take a pencil and start sketching, keep it simple try to get interesting shapes and then start adding details here and there.
Yeah, I want to improve the big ship, but honestly, I just don't know what else to add/remove whatever. :?

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#4 Post by utilae »

Cool, a corkscrew shape.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#5 Post by Zanzibar »

Taking the concept of what you made, I re-created it using DOGA L-2. :)

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by utilae »

I see ships as a type that an insect race might use. It looks like the shell of a cycada ya see.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#7 Post by iamrobk »

Nice Zanzibar. Whatever happened to pov-ray? I remember a while ago it was liek your god. :P Sorry I haven't updated or anything recently. Internet hasn't been working good.....my main computer doesn't even have it yet, though it will really soon.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#8 Post by Zanzibar »

iamrobk wrote:Nice Zanzibar. Whatever happened to pov-ray? I remember a while ago it was liek your god. :P Sorry I haven't updated or anything recently. Internet hasn't been working good.....my main computer doesn't even have it yet, though it will really soon.
Oh, I still use it for backgrounds etc... but for doing 3d models of ships, I found DOGA to be better. :)

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#9 Post by iamrobk »

Zanzibar wrote:
iamrobk wrote:Nice Zanzibar. Whatever happened to pov-ray? I remember a while ago it was liek your god. :P Sorry I haven't updated or anything recently. Internet hasn't been working good.....my main computer doesn't even have it yet, though it will really soon.
Oh, I still use it for backgrounds etc... but for doing 3d models of ships, I found DOGA to be better. :)
Whats DOGA like?

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#10 Post by Zanzibar »

Download it and try for yourself (it's free!!) :)

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by pd »

as a free modeller i would recommend using wings3d. it provides great modelling tools.

in fact it is so good, that it's also used by many professionals in additon to softpare packages like xsi, maya or 3ds.

nightwalker
Space Floater

#12 Post by nightwalker »

pd wrote:as a free modeller i would recommend using wings3d. it provides great modelling tools.

in fact it is so good, that it's also used by many professionals in additon to softpare packages like xsi, maya or 3ds.
i fully agrea with pd on this! this is one of the best simple 3D moddeling programs i have ever used! it has a simple layout and easy to use but doesn't hold back on features. oh yer and it free but donations can be made which i would suggest u do because the guy doing this does it out of his own pocket :!:

a lot of people in this project are already using it for example the majority of Obi's moddles have been made with this program (eg obi's battle cruser, terraformer and his colonys)
Memories in time are like tears in rain.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#13 Post by pd »

speaking of obi, i haven't seen him for a long time. what happend? is he too busy?

Sandlapper
Dyson Forest

#14 Post by Sandlapper »

I was in contact with him back when the board crashed recently, but haven't heard from him lately. I'll shoot him another email and see what's up. BTW, he been busy with FO related graphics. He's got some stuff y'all haven't seen yet , that he's putting a final touch-up to. You've been impressed with his stuff before, you're gonna be impressed, yet again, when you do see them. Most of what i"ve seen is suited for later versions of FO, so it may be awhile before he releases them.

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#15 Post by iamrobk »

Well, it shouldn't really matter what modelling program anyone uses, as long as they can export to whatever format FO will use.