Is anybody fan of Stars! game ?

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#16 Post by Tyreth »

vishnou00 wrote: Whenever I get my developpement environnement up and running, I'll report for duty to the programming staff.
Will be good when you can. Try to get FO compiled and running yourself first and familiarise yourself with it, then let us know when you are ready.

LonghornXtreme
Space Floater

#17 Post by LonghornXtreme »

Wow... Stars! is such a fantastic game. So what if it was low on the graphics? I had countless hours of fun in PBEM games that would last months and months...

Right now I'm just getting into Space Empires IV and having a blast... about to join a bunch of PBEM games in that game. The perfect 4x game still hasn't been made yet in my humble opinion. There's so many features that I'd wish to mix and match from all the various games out there... but alas I'm no programmer....

Hoping Free Orion turns out to be something special! :D

Hangman
Space Krill

#18 Post by Hangman »

/de-lurk
aye, that stars! 2.x multiplayer still counts as the most magical experience for me. and i feel nothing after it has quite managed to capture the brilliancy the stars! concept had, so far...
too bad the bbs'es died with the coming of the internet age, and the great public got spoiled about the graphical standards. and too bad mr. mcbride went underground, for supernova still seems sweet after six years of waiting, and might still remain that way for a couple more years.

seiv and moo2 have been pretty good substitute in the meanwhile - but still, just a substitute. warp points, space lanes and grid map... blech.
anyway, nowadays i'm just waiting for sev & vgap4 and wondering if any of these non-commercial ever get completed. this one seems to be doing the best.
though i wonder why they all have to revolve around this moo-series... ;)

vishnou00
Space Kraken

#19 Post by vishnou00 »

Hangman wrote:though i wonder why they all have to revolve around this moo-series... ;)
Don't tell too loud, but I never played MoO I and II. I just got the third and it was sooo bad I don't want to see an Antaran in a game... ever!

noelte
Juggernaut

#20 Post by noelte »

vishnou00 wrote:Don't tell too loud, but I never played MoO I and II.
... and by not trying them you miss alot.

Prokonsul Piotrus
Space Kraken

#21 Post by Prokonsul Piotrus »

The magic of MOO was that it was playable in single, had a good UI and great graphics.

The magic of Stars! was that it was playable in multi, had a good UI and nobody minded graphics :)

I definetly recomment that all FreeOrion programmers/graphics looks at Stars! for the UI ideas. It is extremly simple - after all, the gamie is jokingly called the Excel game - but that is excatly why. It is simple, yet very functional, and instead of reinventing the wheel of UI it could be a great place to start from, and later we could try to reach the graphic level of MOO and SE series - after we already have a working good skeleton of UI. Called Stars!.

vishnou00
Space Kraken

#22 Post by vishnou00 »

Prokonsul Piotrus wrote:after all, the gamie is jokingly called the Excel game
Excel game by Excel developer. (look for Jeff McBride)
I love it!

mart7x5
Space Floater

#23 Post by mart7x5 »

I have heard - Spreadsheet in Space :)

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Space Krill

#24 Post by Obi-Wan Kenobi »

Posted by Starrh:
I enjoy stars because I can play it through E-Mail and I do not have to dedicate a whole day to playing the game. I was hoping that it might be possible to set FreeOrion up so that I would be able to play through E-Mail. I am not sure that the battle interface will allow for it though.

Good point. How often can a person play all day? That raises other questions about multi-player (mp) games.

QUESTION: I read somewhere here that FO supports mp. Don’t remember seeing what type(s). Which types of mp games does it support? There are hot seat, Internet and Home network (TCP/IP), PBEM.

If for home networks, you can count on me to do FO testing on my network.

QUESTION: If FO is to allow mp games on the internet, then can I assume mp games can be saved to a server, so that you’re not stuck in a game all day?

For FO PBEM games, battles could be automated, as like Stars!

First, some praises for SSnG, and then some praises for FO.

Instead of forcing all players to stay online throughout the entire game, SSnG mp games were set up to utilize a central server to receive and serve up game files for each completed turn, or as you would log back on the next day to resume a game. The great advantage is that you could take your turn “offline.” You could manipulate your empire offline -- at your convenience -- and then log back on to the server to upload a completed turn file. If your other opponent had also completed and sent his turn, the server immediately process the turn, and you would immediately receive the new updated game files.

This is a good model which has its advantages. You don’t have to blitz a game, and not sit there all day, but play at your convenience. But none of this would preclude staying on line, taking many turns and playing for several hours if you wanted. You would also log in to the server’s site to see a list of pending game starts.

Like some mentioned above, I’ve also played every 4X space game made, including SSnG. The SSnG design is a game significantly ahead of its time. It is a “next generation” 4X Space game, well beyond anything done so far. I hope Jeff and Co. can get funding some way. It would be a mistake to judge SSnG by its demo. If you never got a chance to peruse the Crisium site, and you claim to be a lover of 4X space games, then you’ve never tasted the ice cream.

BTW, SSnG wasn’t quite as complete as some here have seemed to suppose. The beta was actually an early beta, was still alpha in some respects; it didn’t have some of the main features programmed in yet. (No, I’m not on their dev team, but I’ve played the beta legally.)

If FO even comes close to the feature set that SSnG has in its design formerly seen at the Crisium site, I will be ecstatic. I really do hope FO eventually grows to become a game ahead of its time.

FO looks like a terrific project so far. FO, and everyone associated has my blessing and support. And I hope to have some great ideas myself that will contribute to the insight and design of the project.

I’m very curious as to a “rough” estimate on how far along the 3.O stage is. :D

Chow
"Political interest can never be separated from moral right". (Thomas Jefferson)

LonghornXtreme
Space Floater

#25 Post by LonghornXtreme »

Check the 2nd Xanni thread on Starbase Delta Obiwan...

If Empire Interactive does not own the publishing rights... I think that getting the funding for S!SG is possible.

Obi-Wan Kenobi
Space Krill

#26 Post by Obi-Wan Kenobi »

Yo Longhornxtreme:

Thanks for alerting me to that. I just checked it. Nice effort there. 8)

You need to go check it again for my response.
"Political interest can never be separated from moral right". (Thomas Jefferson)

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#27 Post by marhawkman »

So there's no way to get a copy of Supernova? :cry: After enjoying Stars for a few years I was rather excited to hear about a sequel, but now it seems the sequel is not going to be released anytime soon..... Hmm... After playing Stars! for a few years I came up with some interesting additions to the game. Anybody wanna hear?
Computer programming is fun.

Seeker
Space Krill

#28 Post by Seeker »

marhawkman said..
After playing Stars! for a few years I came up with some interesting additions to the game. Anybody wanna hear?
Yes please tell us more about the additions :lol:

Yes Stars! is a good game and I am still watching out for SuperNova :lol:

And we have found one of the GOD's who has played the beta of SuperNova.... Obi-Wan Kenobi......
BTW, SSnG wasn’t quite as complete as some here have seemed to suppose. The beta was actually an early beta, was still alpha in some respects; it didn’t have some of the main features programmed in yet. (No, I’m not on their dev team, but I’ve played the beta legally.)
So why do we seem to expect all the fancy graphics and let it get in the way of a good raw strategy game :wink:
Seeking the wonders of the universe.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#29 Post by marhawkman »

Seeker wrote:Yes please tell us more about the additions :lol:
I posted that in brainstorming. :)
Computer programming is fun.

Zpock
Space Kraken

#30 Post by Zpock »

There will never be a better game like this then stars! It's perfection, a masterpiece and a legend.