my absense...

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

drek
Designer Emeritus

my absense...

#1 Post by drek »

...is nothing new. But since I'm in the middle of working on tech tree I thought I'd announce it this time around. I'm having some problems of the "getting my ass kicked by muggers" varietry, so I've decided to find someplace more expensive and therefore hopefully safer to live.

It's winter break as well, so my internet conenction will be spotty at best for the next 1-3 weeks.

until then, have fun,

drek

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#2 Post by utilae »

Muggers? Good luck moving, I sure hope it is crime free.

Bastian-Bux
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by Bastian-Bux »

Hmm, "better" or saver" isn't always the same as more expensive.

I'm living with my wife and kid in a very luxurious neighborhood. Well, in the "worst" house of the neighborhood, but hey :).

Its funny to compare our nice family car with the cars of our neighbors, including Mercedes, Ferrari and Alpha Romeo. Remind, that are the three cars of one of our neighbors ^^.

On the other side: we are paying 60% of the amount for our appartment then we would have to pay in a more central part of our city, that would be more suited to our "students" lifestyle. Actually even in the "foreign quarters" (which are the german equivalent to german lower class getthos) of this town we would pay much more.

So my advice: look for a little bit run down house that doesn't fit too well into that area, and you might combine relative safety and tranquility with a low fee.
Wenn du die Macht hättest die Geschichte zu ändern, wo würdest du anfangen. Und viel wichtiger, wo aufhören?

If you had the power to change history, where would you start? And more importantly, where would you stop?

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#4 Post by Aquitaine »

: looks up from going through drek's wallet :

Yeah, take it easy, man, see ya 'round!

: pockets the driver's license of drek t. idiot :
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

drek
Designer Emeritus

#5 Post by drek »

internet is back up.

woot.

noelte
Juggernaut

#6 Post by noelte »

drek wrote:internet is back up.

woot.
It was never really down :-) But tyreth had to fight a big one-eyed red worm attack :roll: (santa claus)

BTW: can we reset the max user count to the old value? i think it was about 23.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by Tyreth »

noelte wrote: It was never really down :-) But tyreth had to fight a big red worm attack :roll: (santa claus)

BTW: can we reset the max user count to the old value? i think it was about 23.
I think drek means his own internet connection :)

Resetting the max user would possibly be a difficult task - I can't immediately see a way to manually set it with phpbb. I imagine it would be calculated from actual visit data, so I'd probably have to delete a lot of data to get it to recognise the true value.

drek
Designer Emeritus

#8 Post by drek »

Tyreth wrote: I think drek means his own internet connection :)
Eh?

You mean the rest of the internet carries on even when I'm not connected?

Unfathomable.

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by Ablaze »

You think that's a mind bender? Think about this: How is it possible that people can still talk even when you have your eyes closed, since it's obvious that they all disappear. Do they exist in some sort of disembodied limbo? If so what does that odd sort of half existence feel like?

No matter how many people I ask, I can never seem to get a good answer..
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

Getix
Space Floater

#10 Post by Getix »

Bastian-Bux wrote:
Its funny to compare our nice family car with the cars of our neighbors, including Mercedes, Ferrari and Alpha Romeo. Remind, that are the three cars of one of our neighbors ^^.

ARRRGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

ALFA ROMEO! NOT ALPHA! IT IS ITALIAN, NOT AMERICAN! :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

Like FIAT, LANCIA, FERRARI & MASERATI (and also LAMBORGHINI, but at the moment Lambo's is part of the VW-Audi Group).

:D
Getix "The Cromist", (20, 90, Italy, MI)
FIAT CROMA CHT (called Laura) Acrobatic Driver - 32,5 kKm/243 KKm
"A Croma is Forever"

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#11 Post by Daveybaby »

Bastian Bux is German. Or at least, he's *in* germany anyway.

Lesson 1 of conversing on teh intarweb : dont be too obsessed with spelling, not everyone speaks the same first language as you. :wink:
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

Bastian-Bux
Creative Contributor

#12 Post by Bastian-Bux »

Getix, I always did know that the romans never achieved civilization. But I'm troubled that the greek paidagogi where unable to beat proper greek into the brains of the brats of their roman slaveholder.

But well, you can't transmogrify a mule into an arab horse.

Neither can you change an Opel Omega into an Alfa Romeo.

:twisted:
Wenn du die Macht hättest die Geschichte zu ändern, wo würdest du anfangen. Und viel wichtiger, wo aufhören?

If you had the power to change history, where would you start? And more importantly, where would you stop?

noelte
Juggernaut

#13 Post by noelte »

:lol:

they even need a german to drive their cars as it mean to be. :P
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Bastian-Bux
Creative Contributor

#14 Post by Bastian-Bux »

Don't mention "il calzolaio famoso del lupo". He should drive for Fiat, not for Ferrari with that name ^^.

PS: for those that have problems with european languages:

Ralph Schuhmacher is one of the best F-1 drivers. Ralph is short for Rudolph, which stands for fame and wolf. Schuhmacher is, well shoemaker.
So yes, his full name is: the famous wolf shoemaker. Or "il calzolaio famoso del lupo" in italian.

PPS: and names are always right. You know, my own name means: the manly one, strong as a bear. And guess what, I really look like a bear. What was the name again? Oh yes: Winnie the pooh. :twisted:

Getix
Space Floater

#15 Post by Getix »

Daveybaby wrote:Bastian Bux is German. Or at least, he's *in* germany anyway.

Lesson 1 of conversing on teh intarweb : dont be too obsessed with spelling, not everyone speaks the same first language as you. :wink:
I already did know that rule... But when you talk about cars, i don't understand any mistakes on one of my favourite brand :)

That's all.... :D
Getix "The Cromist", (20, 90, Italy, MI)
FIAT CROMA CHT (called Laura) Acrobatic Driver - 32,5 kKm/243 KKm
"A Croma is Forever"