freeOrion logo

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Mystiqq
Space Kraken

freeOrion logo

#1 Post by Mystiqq »

Heres some suggestions for freeOrion logo or something. :)

Not sure about this, feels a bit "bulky" or something...

At the moment, i like this one the best. Nice and simple.
CHAT!!!! irc://irc.freenode.org:6667/freeorion

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by pd »

as mentioned in the other thread, it rocks(the first one).

the second one is too empty in the middle, i was in trouble with this too. you solved this with the star pretty nice in my mind.

i'm not quite sure about the font, while it looks good, we could probably find an even better one.

also, could you provide this in a higher resolution(or in vector format) maybe?

edit:
i removed the top bar, since i makes some trouble where it meets the O(top left) and crushed it a bit in the center area.

the bottom bar should probably be removed also, not sure though.
Last edited by pd on Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The crescent of the O in the second one reminds me a bit too much of the crescent often used to symbolize Islam (whereas the cross in the first is more like a star burst / twinkle than the Christian symbol).

Could you do one with the font of the second, but the star/cross thing of the first? The thinner font would probly make it less "bulky" as you called it. And perhaps try a variety of fonts and font sizes compared to the O thing.

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Mystiqq »

The crescent of the O in the second one reminds me a bit too much of the crescent often used to symbolize Islam (whereas the cross in the first is more like a star burst / twinkle than the Christian symbol).
I never even thought about it in that way.
Could you do one with the font of the second, but the star/cross thing of the first? The thinner font would probly make it less "bulky" as you called it. And perhaps try a variety of fonts and font sizes compared to the O thing.
That crossed my mind, ill give it a shot.
i'm not quite sure about the font, while it looks good, we could probably find an even better one.
True. I searched a little and couldnt find one that was much better thou.
also, could you provide this in a higher resolution(or in vector format) maybe?
Yes i can, i usually do these in illustrator anyway so vector isnt a problem.

Btw. What did you use to make that awesome planet in the splashscreen? it looks kick ass. Purely "photoshoped" or did you use some 3d modeling software?

Also if you people idle in irc, join in #freeorion. :)

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#5 Post by pd »

What did you use to make that awesome planet in the splashscreen? it looks kick ass. Purely "photoshoped" or did you use some 3d modeling software?
the planet is 3d. done in 3ds max, rendered with scanline afair. the textures were initially procedural, then post-worked in photoshop and then maped onto the planet again. the background stars are done in photoshop. and finally some color correction in photoshop of course.
i don't have a problem with this, actually i didn't notice until you mentioned it.
imo it's obvious that it's a complete different context so we shouldn't further worry about it.

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#6 Post by Mystiqq »

Nice.

The athmosphere thing, how did you pull that off? Is some glow thing or something?

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#7 Post by Mystiqq »

Also fast banner test thing, used pd's awesome background image...

pd, do you still want that vector version of this latest one?

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Wen you stick it on that blue backround, the thicker lettering looks fine... and makes a pretty cool banner ad / title bar.

And actually, given the apparent general "blue on black" theme of the UI for v0.3, having a blue title screen might be a good idea... (unless we want contrast, I suppose)

Hrm... looking at the the just posted thinner version, then the thicker, I'm imagining an animation where the the starburst in the middle appears with a flash, expanding so that the horizontal rays extend out to "reveal" the letters on either side, and then the whole thing has sort of a fluorescent glow to it... and maybe some pulsation of brightness or shimmer or shiney flare bits along the top edges or soemthing... This would all happen at the climax of the opening music buildup... and maybe the intial flare could be due to an animated star coming out from behind a moon or ship or something... or an explosion.

[/ramble]

For the static image though, I can't shake the feeling that a slightly better font could be found... or maybe hand-drawn lettering would work...?

kess
Space Floater

#9 Post by kess »

Nice!

Regarding the Moon sickle variant, I had a flash of the symbol for Ajña cakra ... :lol: (And this just sprung to my mind. There is a small chance of reading the title as FREE RION.)

I really like the 'soft squary' font, perhaps even softer E's? (I'm no artist though.) And with the background image the border lines had a perfect match with the text (I think they are a tad too dominant in the monochrome images).

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#10 Post by Mystiqq »

Hrm... looking at the the just posted thinner version, then the thicker, I'm imagining an animation where the the starburst in the middle appears with a flash, expanding so that the horizontal rays extend out to "reveal" the letters on either side, and then the whole thing has sort of a fluorescent glow to it... and maybe some pulsation of brightness or shimmer or shiney flare bits along the top edges or soemthing... This would all happen at the climax of the opening music buildup... and maybe the intial flare could be due to an animated star coming out from behind a moon or ship or something... or an explosion.

[/ramble]
:)
For the static image though, I can't shake the feeling that a slightly better font could be found... or maybe hand-drawn lettering would work...?
Thought about it a little earlier, wouldnt be much of problem doing the lettering by hand but at the moment i dont have completely clear idea what kind of lettering would fit better.

Making fonts is own art form really... :)

Any suggestions/ideas what kind of font would be better?

Heres pretty decent font site, theres a lot of them. Ill take a look at those myself thou...
http://www.1001freefonts.com/fonts/afonts.htm

Geoff the Medio

#11 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Mystiqq wrote:Making fonts is own art form really... :)

Any suggestions/ideas what kind of font would be better?
I agree with kess that the E's are problematic. I'm not very good at picking fonts though... I just know that the one that's there now isn't quite right...

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#12 Post by Mystiqq »

At the moment im editing the font by hand, most likely ill just refresh my uber font creation skills and see how it was done with illustrator. :)

Anyways, ive softened the F and E letters a bit, they have same sort of roundness as the letter R or O, basicly im taking out the rought edges.

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#13 Post by Mystiqq »

Example how it is now... still WIP/test etc. :)
Uploaded the EPS/vector version here...
There is a small chance of reading the title as FREE RION.)
True, im thinking about that too. Ive got small changes for the middle thing to make it little bit more like an "O"... hopefully it will help.

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#14 Post by Mystiqq »

Minor adjustments...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#15 Post by pd »

thought i should also share a colored version here. though still based on the old version.

thanks to mystiqq for the great work and tyreth for a wise suggestion ;)

p.s. yay, without bars!