Enterprise canceled

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

enterprise was odd

#16 Post by guiguibaah »

I found Enterprise to be a little odd... Maybe a little 'too American' for my tastes. Not that it's a bad thing, mind you, especially if your target audience is Americans... But I found it odd how the captain kinda reminds me of George W. Bush... Also I notice that most of the entrance revolved around American acheivements (Spirit of St. Louis, Lunar Landing, Wright brothers, Mars Rover...) which is great, but for a show that's trying to win a notion of 'galactic unity federation woodeedoo' it seems a little unilateral.

Not quite like ST-TNG, where someone is from France, one's from Alaska, and pretty much everyone else comes from different planets. Ah well, it's a good show, and it's a shame it's going.
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: enterprise was odd

#17 Post by Geoff the Medio »

guiguibaah wrote:Also I notice that most of the entrance revolved around American acheivements (Spirit of St. Louis, Lunar Landing, Wright brothers, Mars Rover...) which is great, but for a show that's trying to win a notion of 'galactic unity federation woodeedoo' it seems a little unilateral.
The first few images are renaissance diagrams probly done by italians, and then a culture-independent small raft/boat thing, then something to do with the HMS Enterprise (British), then a balloon that could be anyone, then the Spirit of St. Louis, then the USS Enterprise Spaceshuttle, then the Wright brothers, then a fighter of unknown origin (probly american), then an undersea sub (also probly american), then a long series of american space accomplishments or people, then some ISS construction stuff, then some future space vehicles, and finally the NX-01.

There is a whole lot of american stuff in there, but aside from Sputnik, pretty much all space and powered aviation first accomplishments were done by americans, so it's probably appropriate to include them in a series of images themed around space / exploration progress. They could have cut back on the number of shots of american astronauts and vehicles, ideally to be interspirsed with some soviet ones (esp. Mir, Sputnik), though I do wonder how much stock footage of soviet space accomplishments is readily available; they might not have been able to get any to use...

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

true

#18 Post by guiguibaah »

- that was my thought. Perhaps there isn't any footage of the MIR space station, or of Yuri Gagrin's first trip into space, or of Sputnik. Or maybe if there was there was a licencing issue that made it impossible to show or something.

I do think it would be funny if they interwinned some part of the introduction with "PIGS IN SPAAAAACE!!!"
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Bastian-Bux
Creative Contributor

#19 Post by Bastian-Bux »

Right Geoff, aside from Sputnik the russians only:

- did send the first living animal into space
- the first human
- the first women
- the first long term space inhabitants

Actually what did the americans do:

- reach moon first

Boomer ^^.

Actually the current attitude of americans reminds me of Mr. Chekov: everything was first made, discovered, whatsoever by great Mother Russia.

It was funny in ST:classics, as it was showing the bad attitude of both soviets and americans. But its just shamefull to see that the americans didn't learn from it, but instead now behave unreflected exactly THAT way.

I suppose Mr. Rodenberry is rotating inside his space urn, seeing his multi-cultural and farsighted Star Trek turning into a "God bless America" show.
Wenn du die Macht hättest die Geschichte zu ändern, wo würdest du anfangen. Und viel wichtiger, wo aufhören?

If you had the power to change history, where would you start? And more importantly, where would you stop?

Geoff the Medio

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Bastian-Bux wrote:Right Geoff, aside from Sputnik the russians only:

- did send the first living animal into space
- the first human
- the first women
The first woman (after the first human) was merely a PR stunt, and Laika didn't even live, so only barely qualifies as notable after Sputnik I, IMO. (If they'd brought her back alive, then it would have been significant).
- the first long term space inhabitants
I mentioned Mir, but I suppose the Salyuts were more significant in that regard.
Actually what did the americans do:

- reach moon first
-First powered fight of heavier-than-air machine
-First crossing of the atlantic (arguably PR also, but actually was a signficant accomplishment)
-First person travelling faster than the speed of sound
-Various standing and historic atmospheric speed records (manned and unmanned)
-First continuous powered atmospheric flight around the world
-First non-government reusable spacecraft (not a technical distinction, but notable)

What qualifies or doesn't as a significant first is debatable, but the Americans have certainly done more than just men on the moon...

The Germans also had a number of significant firsts, such as jet-powered fighters and in rocketry, and the French had hot air balloons. The Chinese had kites.

noelte
Juggernaut

#21 Post by noelte »

The Germans also had a number of significant firsts, such as jet-powered fighters and in rocketry, ...
and without german help, the americans maybe wouldn't be the first poeple on the moon. :wink:

another thing, america had first: - atom bomb (also with german help)

so, it's the good old europe, but we will always give our young offspring a hand. 8)
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Geoff the Medio

#22 Post by Geoff the Medio »

noelte wrote:another thing, america had first: - atom bomb (also with german help)
Weapons of mass and/or tactical destruction don't really fit into the whole Enterprise opening sequence theme of progress in aviation / exploration. I suppose we could enumarate all significant technological developments in the history of the world for a really thorough comparison, but that's kind of beside the point...

Blade Runner
Space Squid

#23 Post by Blade Runner »

noelte wrote:
The Germans also had a number of significant firsts, such as jet-powered fighters and in rocketry, ...
and without german help, the americans maybe wouldn't be the first poeple on the moon.
And the Russians? They picked the whole Peenemünde and put it into trains together with the lesser german scientist and engineers. Without this huge push they cannot made into space in 1957. :)
-------------------------------------------
Te vagy a Blade Runner. :)

noelte
Juggernaut

#24 Post by noelte »

Blade Runner wrote:And the Russians? They picked the whole Peenemünde and put it into trains together with the lesser german scientist and engineers. Without this huge push they cannot made into space in 1957. :)
That didn't cross my mind. Must be the 17-year mind washing by our russian brothers :P

----

Meanwhile i saw some episodes of SG:Atlantis. So far, i like SG more. Had more action in it. But i come to like the new science man, especally when he reminds everyone to be careful and tests a personal shield without knowing how to unwear it himself.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

PowerCrazy
Creative Contributor

#25 Post by PowerCrazy »

Ablaze wrote:It's their intro that really bugs me. Every time I hear it it makes me think of Friends or some other trash sitcom. Who made the decision to use some trite pop song in their intro anyway?
I really REALLY hated its intro. The show was ok, but I like voyager much better.
Aquitaine is my Hero.... ;)

Bastian-Bux
Creative Contributor

#26 Post by Bastian-Bux »

@noelte: you mean the big bad brain washing that was given to all east europeans by our russian oppressors? The one that is in NO way comparable to the much more elaborate and refined brain washing given to us by our american liberators? :twisted:

Never trust a big brother. Never trust a smiling politican from a nation that dominates a major part of the world.
Wenn du die Macht hättest die Geschichte zu ändern, wo würdest du anfangen. Und viel wichtiger, wo aufhören?

If you had the power to change history, where would you start? And more importantly, where would you stop?

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#27 Post by Ablaze »

YES! Lets just all not trust eachother! That's the spirit of open source!
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

Black_Dawn
Space Floater

#28 Post by Black_Dawn »

utilae wrote:I liked the western/space theme of Firefly. Kinda like Cowboy Bebop (western/space anime). And Firefly had some good funny moments.
You might find it funny that Gene Rodenberry's pitch for the original Star Trek series was that it was "a western in space". Kirk and the rest just used phasers instead of six-shooters.

I've always found it interesting that some people love the later Star Trek Series (Voyager and Enterprise) and hate the original and TNG, while other people (such as myself) feel the opposite way. As far as I'm concerned, Scott Bakula should Quantum Leap back to the 80's and stay there. I think it's because the first two series are stronger on classic science fiction and the later two are high on action and drama. I LOVE Stargate, which has both good sci-fi ideas and good drama and humour.

P.S. I've heard that someone's making a new Hitchiker's Guide to the Galaxy movie. Hopefully it'll be as funny as the original.
Professor Hernandez, Human ambassador to Silica:
"Hey, rocks are people too!"
Black Dawn

discord
Space Kraken

#29 Post by discord »

well, just to be annoying, i'll say my part aswell.
to bad it's being canceled, it was without doubt one of the best in the series, if only for the fact that they got the whole 'chronology' thing working, and there actualy existed a time line....wich was unheard of in TNG/TOS...and started first in voyager/ds9...well, i LIKE that things are continuing....just my view though.