splash v0.3

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
noelte
Juggernaut

#46 Post by noelte »

I can't see you picture, obiwan.

EDIT: WOW Planet Floajoa_Hydro, really awesome. IMO, the moon requires some work.
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#47 Post by Obiwan »

Thanks.
:?: The moon?
Theres a story behind that moon. Its goopy atmosphere is stained a funny brown color cause of a large rock like creature that abounds there.
While not THE smelliest life form in the galaxy it certainly has no equels in the farting catogory.
It is one of the paradox's of the universe that the bueatiful garden world of Floajoa_Hydro, playground of the rich and famous. has romantic nights under the golden crecsent of a moon known as 'Old Smelly Bum'.

noelte
Juggernaut

#48 Post by noelte »

I didn't took it as an atmosphere. Neither did i know about that story. ;-)
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?

Hazies
Space Krill

#49 Post by Hazies »

That Floajoa_Hydro splash is great. Very epic. Awesome work Obiwan.
kthxbye.
Also known as "Hadrian", administrator ofThe Hideout Forums.
TheForce.net

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#50 Post by pd »

some criticism from me:

first of, your planet colors are way too bright and saturated. i found that darker, desaturated colors work much better.

in addition, you planet surface textures are missing details and variation, especially in the second pic. while other details in the first one, like the bump on the water or the hills are too exaggerated - they simply wouldn't be visible from space. i also miss clouds - well done they would really improve the pictures. don't forget to add drop shadows for them.

next thing are the atmosphere 'glows'. they are too large, in reality they aren't even existent. so i suggest making them thinner and possibly more bright. they should also fade seamless with the planet surface. in your pictures there is a hard border.

another thing: since the planet glow is pretty bright you shouldn't be able to see stars behind it, because you get kind of blinded by it.

last but not least i suggest making the pictures in 16:9 and add the logo at top frame.

uh, and like the ships. in the first pic it looks a bit chaotic, you could change this by using a formation. in the second pic a nice engine glow would be nice.

i hope you can get something helpfull out of this.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#51 Post by Obiwan »

I except your critisms
I believe in useing artistic licence to acheive the emotional fealing i want in a picture. I dont mind bending reality abit to achieve the form and color that appeals to me.
The last planet shot you did was, as you say dark with less intense saturation. I really liked it.
What your seeing here is (the desert world ie.) is Mojoworld and Photoshop.
Mojoworld does render incredibly vibrant images. which I find appealing also. But yes they are diferent .

If we are to attract more artists then over time there will be differnt software and styles presented.

I look at it this way. the images presented to the player will acsessed from the Imperial archive will have been compiled over a great legth of time by starfarers and adventurers.
There must be some consistancy, yes. But the variations that will happen can be explained this way.
The universe is a big place.

The 16:9 ratio is a good one to convay a sense of the epic.
I would like to include planet picts at this ratio also. What will happen if there is a mix of these 2 ratios.
Will the wider 16:9 be squashed th fit an existing box, or will it desplay correctly as well?

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#52 Post by Obiwan »

A third version of Ekpyros with Gunship. It was simply an exercice in producing a vibrant an image as possible. I couldnt bring myself to put the FO logo up top. It broke the images balance.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#53 Post by pd »

oh yeah, those are much better. the engine glow of the second one is nice.

the star glows seem a bit exaggerated, but it's ok :)

good work.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

would it be possible?

#54 Post by guiguibaah »

Would it be possible to see what the image would look like if the ship were only in a darkened silouhette?
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#55 Post by Obiwan »

Thanks pd

How do you mean guiguibaah. As in lit more realisticly, from single light source ie. the sun. Harsh light, deep shadows?

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Lighting

#56 Post by guiguibaah »

I was musing that a future splash screen could be interesting if the view is looking to a rising sun near a planet... But an object is between the viewer and the sun / planet is obstructing the view. Since you can't see it (as you are looking straight into the light source) all you can make out is a blackened silouhette.

It would be interesting if that blackened silouhette was something that would make one think "Uhoh" if they happened to be in a frieghter at the time. Either something that looks like a large fleet, or a really nasty - looking shadow... Or some odd tentacle / thing suggesting of a space monster. You can't exactly make out what it is, but you know it's bad, so you leave your mind to fill in the blanks.

A bit like if you look straight at a light bulb at the ceiling, held your arm out with a tennis ball up to to almost all of the light bulb was blocked.. and then a suddenly a spider came from the ceiling right to descend in between you and the tennis ball.
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#57 Post by Obiwan »

For guiguibaah

he-he-
For those long unaventfull freight hauling trips. A comfortable command couch, auto pilot and a good book are recomended.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Neat!

#58 Post by guiguibaah »

I like the small attention to detail - I noticed the upper left monitor seems to be a screencap of one FO's UI.

Nicely done :)

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#59 Post by Tyreth »

Hey, that's pretty good Obiwan :)

The pic in the left monitor I notice is Geoff's production screen mockup, while the one on the right is the tech screen.

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#60 Post by Obiwan »

:) It started off as a serious attempt at guiguibaah's suggestion. But a little bit of humour crept in. The cat ended up looking like a rat, but too late now.