freeOrion logo

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#46 Post by Mystiqq »

Revisited the logo again, now with alternative look.

EDIT3:
updated...
Image here

Comments are appreciated and any suggestions to make it better.

EDIT:
icon tests... also i edited the logo itself a little.

EDIT2:
Little more "artistic" logo...
Image :lol:
Last edited by Mystiqq on Tue May 31, 2005 7:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CHAT!!!! irc://irc.freenode.org:6667/freeorion

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#47 Post by Impaler »

I like the new logo (the first new one) the best. But it dose need some work, that little crecent in the center is'nt fitting with the outer layers, try to continue that outer patern all the way to the center. You might also try throwin in the rays that were used on the first logo just to see how that looks. The second one is a bit too close to the Firaxis logo for comfort but is otherwise quite atractive (damn they for taking the good logos first).
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#48 Post by Mystiqq »

he second one is a bit too close to the Firaxis logo for comfort but is otherwise quite atractive (damn they for taking the good logos first).
I got the same feeling, i remember they have (/ had?) something similar...

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#49 Post by Dreamer »

I like the second one more. If it's too similar to fireaxis you can cut one of the tail to make it resemble a spiral galaxy. It could be nice.

Anyway, What w3as wrong with the forst logo? I really liked the black-metalic version (a lot!).

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#50 Post by Mystiqq »

The First one (star thing) needs something but cant figure out what, thats why im trying new one(s).

Updated...

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#51 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I'd like to bump this thread. v0.3 (and v0.3.1) desparately, IMO, need a better icon that the default one they seem to have now. It just looks unprofessional.

Could anyone make some decent looking standalone icons in 32x32 and 16x16 resolution of the FreeOrion O-Star logo? I refer to this:

This needs to have nicely done transparency, and be just the icon, not the icon over top of a document background. You also might want to cut off the tops of the star spikes so as to make the O be a full 32 or 16 pixels across.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#52 Post by tzlaine »

I've embedded that image as an icon in freeorion.exe, available in a new installer in a few minutes. It has a white background, though. Someone else more artistic needs to make an icon with the proper transparency. I couldn't just cut-and-paste from a PNG to an icon, since the icon has no alpha channel. Instead, it has individual pixel transparency on an all-or-nothing basis (a pixel is visible or not, but not in between).

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#53 Post by Daveybaby »

Transparency is always going to look pants for that icon design unless you have an alpha channel, which you dont for a windows icon.

How about having the icon on a black (or maybe not pure black, maybe something like very dark blue, i.e. 0, 0, 64 kind of dark) background? Seems more in keeping with the theme of the game IMO.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#54 Post by pd »

I've created some ICOs with 8bit transparency. XP can handle those. Can't we just use those?

48x48, 8bit transparency - download
32x32, 8bit transparency - download
16x16, 8bit transparency - download

update:
I've also made some with 1bit transparency, and to my surprise they don't look bad either.

48x48, 1bit transparency - download
32x32, 1bit transparency - download
16x16, 1bit transparency - download

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#55 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Using the 32x32 1-bit alpha, I get these results:

I don't think assuming a black background so that the preexisting smooth blends at the edges will look good or making the spikes look thinner by making the adjacent column of pixels fade to black from red are good plans...

I fear these may need to be redone pixel by pixel to be really satisfying... (though what pd's done so far is better than what we started with)

Edit:

Tried the 8-bit alpha, which seems to be working...

Assuming black background is still a bad idea though, IMO, but it looks decent enough.

I re-suggest chopping a few pixels off the top and bottom of the spikes so as to make the O a bit bigger though... the FO icon looks kinda wimpy next to some of the built-in XP icons that are more square shaped and fill up their space better.

Edit2: pd, when all finalized (be that now or later), could you put all those icons into one file, and then remind me to / ask Yoghurt to put that icon as the FreeOrion website favicon (next to the url in the address bar of your browser).

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#56 Post by pd »

I'm not at home at the moment, so i'll come back to this next year. I agree, that the 16x16 icon obviously needs some more tweaking.

I've added the black shadows to help popping it out - I like it.

About throwing all icons into one file: I'm still unsure how to do this. The photoshop plugin i'm using to read/write ICOs is only able to save 1 ICO per file. I need to do some research on this.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#57 Post by tzlaine »

pd wrote:I'm not at home at the moment, so i'll come back to this next year. I agree, that the 16x16 icon obviously needs some more tweaking.

I've added the black shadows to help popping it out - I like it.

About throwing all icons into one file: I'm still unsure how to do this. The photoshop plugin i'm using to read/write ICOs is only able to save 1 ICO per file. I need to do some research on this.
If you make them in different sizes, I can easily pack them all into a single .ico file, so don't worry about this.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#58 Post by pd »

Great, thanks!

Yoghurt
Programmer

#59 Post by Yoghurt »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Edit2: pd, when all finalized (be that now or later), could you put all those icons into one file, and then remind me to / ask Yoghurt to put that icon as the FreeOrion website favicon (next to the url in the address bar of your browser).
Already done ;-)
Looks better than expected, btw.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#60 Post by pd »

I did some changes to the logo. Hope you like this.

old
new

More chrome and the O reads much better.