When is 0.3 to be released?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

python
Space Krill

#1 Post by python »

Thanks

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

When it's ready. The game itself is essentially done for v0.3, and has been for a few weeks, but Yoghurt is currently working on getting the installer / autoconfigure stuff working. AFAIK when that's done, v0.3 will be released.

python
Space Krill

#3 Post by python »

There is going to be a win32 file isnt there?

Yoghurt
Programmer

#4 Post by Yoghurt »

Yes, there will be a Windows installer, just like it used to be for 0.1 and 0.2

alcimedes
Space Krill

#5 Post by alcimedes »

Just wondering if there were plans for an OSX installer. I stumbled across this project via google, and while I followed the instructions in the details section, wasn't able to get the the app. to find the library files necessary to run under 10.4.

A stand alone installer would get a lot of OSX testers on board who might otherwise be scared off, or not quite savvy enough to get to unix side of things working (me).

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#6 Post by Dreamer »

Well, the question is already 15 days old so again: how much left for the win32 installer? I must confess I'm getting very impatient :roll:

Geoff the Medio

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Yoghurt, why don't you release each installer ASAP, and add others as they're done?

(We don't have to "officially" release 0.3 until all installers are done and available...)

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by utilae »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Yoghurt, why don't you release each installer ASAP, and add others as they're done?

(We don't have to "officially" release 0.3 until all installers are done and available...)
Yeah :)

Wolverine
Space Floater

#9 Post by Wolverine »

I won't speak for Yoghurt, but from my pov there are still too many bugs for the release. Just check current CVS code and you'll see. I'm hunting for bugs in CVS and posting them to the tracker on sourceforge. As Yoghurt told he wants it become stable before the release.
The emperor wants to control outer space. Yoda wants to control inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the good and the bad sides of the force... - Mof, Human Traffic ;)

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

This isn't supposed to be a final playable game release... it's still v0.3; not even at "beta" stage.

And there aren't really that many major bugs at the moment, unless you're holding back posting a bunch. The existing features are mostly functional, aside from the pathfinding bug and a few difficult to reproduce (and thus rare) crash bugs. Changing resolution with the options screen isn't an essential feature of v0.3 (and the whole options screen itself is somewhat experimental at this point, I gather).

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#11 Post by Daveybaby »

Never understood what the point of having an installer for a beta was anyway. Whats wrong with good old fashioned zip files?
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#12 Post by Yoghurt »

Well, FO is unplayable on my machine. I think that may be a serious bug ;)

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#13 Post by Dreamer »

Daveybaby wrote:Never understood what the point of having an installer for a beta was anyway. Whats wrong with good old fashioned zip files?
Nothing. It works fine. It's the instalation of CVS clients, required libraries and compiling what makes it all a pain in the ass unless you are actually coding for FO.

noelte
Juggernaut

#15 Post by noelte »

Oh no! You did post it twice????
Press any key to continue or any other key to cancel.
Can COWs fly?