Sports - Between different empires

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

Sports - Between different empires

#1 Post by utilae »

This seems far out there but bare with me.

In SimCity2000 you could build stadiums. You would have a team and you could see stats saying how good your team was compared to neighbouring cities.

What if, in FreeOrion, you could have some kind of sport that would be part of the morale part of the game. Maybe it's to do with your races culture, you like sport X. As your culture/sport is adopted by other empires and you start playing games with other empires it is a sign of your influence.

There wouldn't be much to this. Your not gonna play a sport minigame. But it would just be some random sport that your empire supports. And you could build stadiums and spread the popularity of your races sport.

The interesting thing would be that stronger more agile races would have clear advantages in such sports, unless sports are mind based, then the Psilons might win alot.

Any ideas? Let's discuss!

skdiw
Creative Contributor

#2 Post by skdiw »

civ 4 got this religion thing that you can convert other race into your own religion. I don't know what benefit it has, since my copy don't freakin work and it looks like they got one man staffed technical support team.

In any case, I would focus my attention on pertinent and near-future problems and idea. That idea sounds like v.9 or v.10. By that time, we probably had our forums destroyed again. lol
:mrgreen:

Sandlapper
Dyson Forest

#3 Post by Sandlapper »

An intrigueing idea, Utilae!

I recall in the STEN sci-fi series, there was an annual intergalactic space race that various factions would enter as a political ploy to suggest to lesser factions that empire x's winning entry proves it's technology is superior to empire y's and empire z's technology. There would be much spying and sabatoge involved. Eventually the two major players in the series go to war.

The_Commentator
Space Floater

#4 Post by The_Commentator »

Religion in CIV 4 is basically cultural influence in Civ 3...I think that's what you're proposing--increasing our empire's culture influence through sports. Good idea! In Civ 3 that means our borders will expand out farther, faster, and it's possible that opposing player's planets will trade to our empire. Well... it may take more than sports to do that, but it's a start.

Why not make the sports a mini game? It's not something you need to play, but if you need a break from empire building it's kind of like a game within a game. Maybe a few games within the game.

--T.C.

Sapphire Wyvern
Space Kraken

#5 Post by Sapphire Wyvern »

Actually, if it were a minigame that could be played between players who have already submitted orders for the turn, that would be cool. :)

But that's something for version 1.1, I think.

Pasi
Space Squid

#6 Post by Pasi »

Yes, and don't forget the riots that the sports might cause as a down side! :lol:
I'm not a programmer... but I play one at Microsoft!

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#7 Post by Dreamer »

:shock: sports :shock:

The KIS rule has just died. A minute of silence please...

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by utilae »

lol

It's alright. We can put it in at version 10.0.

I can wait :)

The_Commentator
Space Floater

#9 Post by The_Commentator »

KIS Rule?
Version 10?!

Although I think you guys are committed to this project, I sincerely doubt there will be a version 10, lol; but who knows? :lol:

--T.C.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#10 Post by Dreamer »

The_Commentator wrote:KIS Rule?
It means Keep-It-Simple, one of the strong design guidelines used here... :D

discord
Space Kraken

#11 Post by discord »

"and here we are, for the 19th pan galactic olympics, and among the contenders are (list species), and the favorite events will be, the liadri spnsored 'capture the flag' & 'domination' and the always equaly interesting space battle events.....'

just make it a 'free for all' with rules of engagement, with the current game engine....ground combat/space combat....

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#12 Post by Tyreth »

The_Commentator wrote:Religion in CIV 4 is basically cultural influence in Civ 3...I think that's what you're proposing--increasing our empire's culture influence through sports. Good idea! In Civ 3 that means our borders will expand out farther, faster, and it's possible that opposing player's planets will trade to our empire. Well... it may take more than sports to do that, but it's a start.
Culture in Civ4 is the same as Culture in Civ3.

Religions in Civ4 are all the same. Having a state religion on occasion grants bonuses to all cities in your empire that share that religion. If you select the Free Religion civic then you get a bonus in each city for each religion it has. Sometimes you construct buildings for a religion in a city that increase your culture.

Religion in Civ4 is not culture in Civ3. It's something else.

Kostik666
Space Floater

#13 Post by Kostik666 »

Im playing a mass-online turn based game... and they have "arenas" just for side entertainment.

I say have a tournament once in a while... like gladiators, or even with more than just free for all, give out a prize and a whacky title at the end, but i havent been paying attention to FO's progress in the past 9 months, so i dont know if my suggestions are do-able / up for consideration.
>^)