When is 0.3 to be released?

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#16 Post by pd »

I can only suggest forgetting this project and never to return here.
Why are you still around?

Wolverine
Space Floater

#17 Post by Wolverine »

DeathAndPain3 wrote:I can only suggest forgetting this project and never to return here. There is no progress, no matter what the admins keep asseverating. Free Orion is dead in the water.
Stop bitchin', learn how to use CVS, compile the project for yourself and you'll see the progress. The code is almost finished for v0.3 (from my point of view), however it must be polished. I'm updating the code daily in order to search bugs. You could do this too. But no, you are just a consumer. Stop trolling.

This team is doing really great work to make this game happen and you're only getting yourself into deep sh*t talking otherwise. Learn patience man.
The emperor wants to control outer space. Yoda wants to control inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the good and the bad sides of the force... - Mof, Human Traffic ;)

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#18 Post by Aquitaine »

FreeOrion is dependent on the good will and spare time of a lot of people. We've been very fortunate to have very talented people work on this project and I've never doubted that it will be worth the wait.

The design team is working on the preliminary release of the design doc for the combat engine that will hopefully accompany the release of v0.3 and a bout of publicity.

People like DeathAndPain get validation by acting as though they know all about how projects like these work and justify their own failure to produce anything useful by declaring the entire project a waste of time. I fully expect this project to take years. Even if FO 1.0 doesn't come out until 2010, I'll be here, and I know a lot of other people will as well.

-Aq
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#19 Post by tzlaine »

DeathAndPain3 wrote:This project is in a dead end due to unprofessional leadership and lazy programmers.
Heh. Dumbass. Everyone knows there's only one lazy programmer here. That lazy-ass Zach.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#20 Post by Aquitaine »

And only one unprofessional leader.

In this difficult situation I am reminded of what my clutch maven once said to me before my first molting. `Sometimes the enemy is so swift and the path so treacherous that you can run no further. It is then that you must turn and resolve to fight and in all likelihood die horribly but you never know when you are going to get lucky, so go for it!'
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#21 Post by Tyreth »

Lazy programmers and unprofessional leaders, what are we to do? Tell us, DeathAndPain3 (the third generation must be wiser), what an admin or programmer of FreeOrion is to do.

Lead us to the light!

Seriously though, I fail to see why DeathAndPain even posts here. His posts achieve nothing except some amusement for us for a few minutes.

And a special thanks to Zach for all the hours you contribute each week to coding FreeOrion! Just need to check CVS commit logs for the proof.

Argus
Space Floater

#22 Post by Argus »

We should just ignore his non productive posts guys and gals. When he stops getting attention he'll stop coming back here.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#23 Post by Dreamer »

Argus wrote:We should just ignore his non productive posts guys and gals. When he stops getting attention he'll stop coming back here.
In fact I DO seem to remember the guy for a couple of months ago. Same complains, same results: We could all get more united defending a proyect we would like to go ahead. Last time the forums were almost stagnant until this guy posted and revived it a lot.

I'm almost beginnig to belive that Aquitaine is doing it on purpose every few month to keep the morale hight. :wink:
Not so unprofessional a leader after all jejeje.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#24 Post by Aquitaine »

At least for the design team, we're at a point where we don't have a lot to go over publicly; the next big step for us is working on the combat design doc, which isn't going to be released for public edification, discussion, and dissection for a while yet. We are hoping to have a big splash with the v0.3 release, but forum activity isn't really a good metric of the project.

Nasenbaer
Space Krill

#25 Post by Nasenbaer »

hey,

I'm working at sourceforge-project widelands(settler2 clone) ... just wanted to say, how we keep with releases:

-We have got a ToDO list. what we want to build until next release.
-Than there is a freeze until which we want to get everything ready.
-If we don't reached our goal.. we build a half release... like we build a few days ago "build9half"

The good think about that is, that you get a good motivation, if you see, that there's really something happening...

... we got 4-5 new developers in last 2 weeks because of the build9half release... really much if you see how much devs we are.. :-)

and... the "fans" are coming more often to our page and really CAN wait for releases because there's the freeze! :-)

greetz Peter

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#26 Post by Dreamer »

Aquitaine wrote:but forum activity isn't really a good metric of the project.
Then what is? CVS snapshot surely aren't. Forum activity and periodic releases. I hate to be a critic, but Nasenbaer does have a strong point.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#27 Post by Aquitaine »

I started to write a long-winded and detailed defense of why I don't think the team needs to come up with long-winded and detailed defenses of why we do what we do every time somebody questions it, but in the end, I can reduce my position to:

We are near a large and public milestone. Just hang on until after we've passed it, and if you aren't satisfied with the progess after that, we'll talk.

-Aquitaine

Wolverine
Space Floater

#28 Post by Wolverine »

Aquitaine wrote:We are near a large and public milestone. Just hang on until after we've passed it, and if you aren't satisfied with the progess after that, we'll talk.
Well. I didn't have much time recently. You know girlfriend needs significant amount of time and attention, but I will on my side try to support this project as much as I can. Prove this if I'm wrong, but we all know that all those people around, somehow involved in this project will support it.

Personally I have to say big thanks to you all... Keep the spirit alive. :)
The emperor wants to control outer space. Yoda wants to control inner space. That's the fundamental difference between the good and the bad sides of the force... - Mof, Human Traffic ;)

Danakin
Space Krill

Keep going!

#29 Post by Danakin »

From what I can tell the majority of people that don't have any time/skills to help you out are still behind you 100%! Otherwise it would be more than just one jerk complaining about the time it takes to write stable software.

If he wants something that is released now and is buggy and terrible in all aspects he should buy (if you still can) Master of Orion III. If he can't buy it I am sure there are plenty of disgusted fans who are willing to get rid of their copy!

Everyone involved keep up the good work and when you release 0.3 with all those bugs squashed people like death and pain won't be around to complain about it! Yay!

I for one am looking forward to the 0.3 or if what I read was correct 0.31 release!

It isn't as small a step as 0.2 to 0.3 makes it sound!

hasoos
Space Krill

Yep don't listen to them

#30 Post by hasoos »

For every whiner out there there is probably 10 people like me who are very grateful you guys are working on this project. You guys are doing great for an all volunteer project, and I look forward to the next release. Keep up the good work. :shock:
Hasoos