i'm gonna help ya!

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#16 Post by Moriarty »

Sure there is, the really helluva tough guys can program with a magnetic pin on a 5 1/4-inch floppydisk while wearing a blindfold.
And have to walk up hill too and from work with the disks on their back? Yea those were the days :D

Skaro
Pupating Mass

#17 Post by Skaro »

Moriarty wrote:
Sure there is, the really helluva tough guys can program with a magnetic pin on a 5 1/4-inch floppydisk while wearing a blindfold.
And have to walk up hill too and from work with the disks on their back? Yea those were the days :D
Hell yeah! :lol:
A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down. --Murphy's war laws

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

Interesting idea

#18 Post by guiguibaah »

That would be an interesting idea...

A limited Edition Freeorion 1.0, released on punchcards.
I wonder what the shipping charges would be like...
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.

Yoghurt
Programmer

Re: Interesting idea

#19 Post by Yoghurt »

guiguibaah wrote:I wonder what the shipping charges would be like...
Do you mean for the punch-cards or for the mainframe that would be required?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Interesting idea

#20 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Yoghurt wrote:
guiguibaah wrote:I wonder what the shipping charges would be like...
Do you mean for the punch-cards or for the mainframe that would be required?
You don't need a mainframe yourself. You just send each turn's orders by mail and get your results back a week later.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#21 Post by Yoghurt »

Of course, to make matters easier for the person entering the results, sending the moves on punch-cards is highly recommended.

BTW: Do we have a technology "Punch cards" in FO's tech tree? If not, we should include it immediately. (Technologies like that could be available on April 1st, only)

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#22 Post by Moriarty »

You don't need a mainframe yourself. You just send each turn's orders by mail and get your results back a week later.
I'm sorry but that would just suck from a UI front.
No, what you'd have to do would be have a courier for each player to take the punch-cards to the MF. You've obviously never had UI training. :lol:

Do we have a technology "Punch cards" in FO's tech tree? If not, we should include it immediately. (Technologies like that could be available on April 1st, only)
On a more serious note, I think a few nice little easter eggs like this might be interesting. They add character to the game.

JosEPh
Krill Swarm

#23 Post by JosEPh »

GaHHHHH!!!!!!!!

Cobol and Punch cards! :evil: The ONLY College class I ever Failed!! :oops:

I can still remember the Prof's Name too, 28 years later! Grrrrrr!!!

It ended my carrer path in computers. So I became a Cable TV Network Maint. Tech and computers are coming back to haunt me.

JosEPh :P

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#24 Post by Daveybaby »

Jeebus! COBOL. Very, very nasty stuff. And that's coming from someone who is currently coding in Ada95. Eeesh.

Personally, i'm of the opinion that FO should be recoded from scratch in INTERCAL, and anyone who disagrees is clearly a programming wimp.
Last edited by Daveybaby on Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

Sapphire Wyvern
Space Kraken

#25 Post by Sapphire Wyvern »

I dunno, how about BIT for powerful C-style data handling, Haifu for mystical Eastern AIs and of course perfectly balanced code, Chef for the best-tasting code you'll ever see, ZOMBIE for shambling corpse action, Ook! the only OO (Orang-utan Oriented) language, Piet where the programs can double as texture files, and of course HQ9++ if you want concise code.

Not to mention the incredible lossless compression ratio opportunities presented by lenPEG and WPEG.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#26 Post by Zanzibar »

I wonder what will be the name of the default programming language (like assembly or binary is for current processors) once we switch over to quantum computers and qubits?

Skaro
Pupating Mass

#27 Post by Skaro »

Zanzibar wrote:I wonder what will be the name of the default programming language (like assembly or binary is for current processors) once we switch over to quantum computers and qubits?
By that time computers will program themselves......to kill us :twisted:
A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down. --Murphy's war laws

Yoghurt
Programmer

#28 Post by Yoghurt »

Zanzibar wrote:I wonder what will be the name of the default programming language (like assembly or binary is for current processors) once we switch over to quantum computers and qubits?
I'd think something along the lines of Haskell

Danakin
Space Krill

#29 Post by Danakin »

Or MSCode.... eww *shudders*

Alberjohns
Space Floater

#30 Post by Alberjohns »

Yoghurt wrote:
I'd think something along the lines of Haskell
Some people would suggest a version of lisp, such as scheme, or a varient thereof. Greenspun's Tenth Rule: "Any sufficiently complicated C or Fortran program contains an ad hoc, informally-specified, bug-ridden, slow implementation of half of Common Lisp."