Hyperdrive might prove possible

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

ewh02b
Space Kraken

Hyperdrive might prove possible

#1 Post by ewh02b »

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2006/01/06/hyperdrive/

"The US military is considering testing the principle behind a type of space drive which holds the promise of reaching Mars in just three hours."

It involves an electromagnet, rotation, lots of electricity, and about 4 extra dimensions--fun!

Skaro
Pupating Mass

#2 Post by Skaro »

It would be the beginning of a new era if it worked :idea:
A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down. --Murphy's war laws

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#3 Post by marhawkman »

I kinda figured we'd hear this eventually. People put their minds to something they'll eventually find a way.
Computer programming is fun.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#4 Post by Dreamer »

buw how unconfortable... imagine how would be to be under extreme acceleration for 3 hours...

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#5 Post by marhawkman »

Dreamer wrote:buw how unconfortable... imagine how would be to be under extreme acceleration for 3 hours...
Just go and Ask the Astronauts what they think... They probably have a decent idea.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by utilae »

I ges we need to invent high pleasure devices to make it comfortable.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#7 Post by Yoghurt »

Well, we already have a physical model of a Warp Drive, the Alcubierre drive. Only problem: we need negativ energy desity, that is, exotic matter...

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#8 Post by marhawkman »

Yoghurt wrote:Well, we already have a physical model of a Warp Drive, the Alcubierre drive. Only problem: we need negativ energy desity, that is, exotic matter...
Yes, but this one doesn't use things of questionable reality.....

Sapphire Wyvern
Space Kraken

#9 Post by Sapphire Wyvern »

marhawkman wrote:
Yoghurt wrote:Well, we already have a physical model of a Warp Drive, the Alcubierre drive. Only problem: we need negativ energy desity, that is, exotic matter...
Yes, but this one doesn't use things of questionable reality.....
Huh. Doesn't use things of questionable reality? I don't know about that. This device's purported effect is clearly based on theoretical results from a very... exotic... branch of physics (meaning, probably rubbish results). It's probably worth checking it out to see if the theorist's results actually hold up, but I would rate this as very much in the "speculative" column.

In any case, it's by no means an FTL device - which makes it rather more credible - but sadly still no real use for travelling to other stars in a realistic timeframe.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#10 Post by marhawkman »

Sapphire Wyvern wrote:Huh. Doesn't use things of questionable reality? I don't know about that. This device's purported effect is clearly based on theoretical results from a very... exotic... branch of physics (meaning, probably rubbish results). It's probably worth checking it out to see if the theorist's results actually hold up, but I would rate this as very much in the "speculative" column.

In any case, it's by no means an FTL device - which makes it rather more credible - but sadly still no real use for travelling to other stars in a realistic timeframe.
Well the Alcubierre drive wasn't based on any actual research, this one does seem to be now for whether or not it's workable..... Guess we'll have to wait for that....`