Ship Design

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Skaro
Pupating Mass

#46 Post by Skaro »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
utilae wrote:An organic ship could be taken over by a boarding crew just like a virus could make a person act crazy by taking over the mind.
I dunno... teleporting a bunch of gerbils into an elephant's brain probably wouldn't make the elephant fight for the gerbil army...
Unless, the Gerbils are really well trained in elephant mind controll techniques....
A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down. --Murphy's war laws

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#47 Post by Daveybaby »

Dunno if anyone has read Neal Stephenson's snow crash, theres stuff in there about reprogramming the human brain via visual/auditory stimulus, so no reason you couldnt have the same thing happen for an organic ship's brain. Ken Macleod's Cassini Division has something similar, where the crew of a ship have their brains reprogrammed.
The COW Project : You have a spy in your midst.

Dreamer
Dyson Forest

#48 Post by Dreamer »

Well, basically we have several combinations of ships for this.

Manned (organic/normal): Can be assaulted with crew and taken over with propper tech. Can be disabled with viruses but no taken. Chance that crew can fix the ship.

Unmanned, organic): can be take over with telepaths. Can't be boarded.
Unmanned, normal: can be taken over by infiltrting AI. Can't be boarded.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#49 Post by marhawkman »

Daveybaby wrote:Dunno if anyone has read Neal Stephenson's snow crash, theres stuff in there about reprogramming the human brain via visual/auditory stimulus, so no reason you couldnt have the same thing happen for an organic ship's brain. Ken Macleod's Cassini Division has something similar, where the crew of a ship have their brains reprogrammed.
The question is whether it could be done in battle before the ship blows you away......
Computer programming is fun.

ewh02b
Space Kraken

#50 Post by ewh02b »

personally, I'd like to think that my ship crew would fight to the last man, and the last man would be holding down the suicide switch...

...perhaps if/when morale is written into the game, higher morale would make situations like that more likely, while lower morale would result in easier surrenders.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#51 Post by marhawkman »

ewh02b wrote:personally, I'd like to think that my ship crew would fight to the last man, and the last man would be holding down the suicide switch...

...perhaps if/when morale is written into the game, higher morale would make situations like that more likely, while lower morale would result in easier surrenders.
Ship morale? Erm.... Maybe in version 3.5....

A suicide button? I'd make it a special ship system. or if the game doesn't ever get ship design enabled make it a percentage chance to detonate.

ewh02b
Space Kraken

#52 Post by ewh02b »

well, anyone can make a reactor go critical--simply remove the control rods. the crew could override the safeties to prevent capture.

marhawkman
Large Juggernaut

#53 Post by marhawkman »

ewh02b wrote:well, anyone can make a reactor go critical--simply remove the control rods. the crew could override the safeties to prevent capture.
If the reactor has that design feature. :roll: Not all reactors do.

Sapphire Wyvern
Space Kraken

#54 Post by Sapphire Wyvern »

Not to mention that mere fission reactors are likely to be at the very bottom of FO's tech tree, if present at all!