My concern

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

krum
Creative Contributor

My concern

#1 Post by krum »

I'm really woried about these forums, what I see here lately. Please guys, really, don't pay attention to trolls. Every time I log in I see 75% of the new posts new nonsence. I think you all know what I'm talking about.

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#2 Post by Aquitaine »

Don't worry about it too much. We will always find a way to make sure that the genuine and active members of this community have a forum to help make this an awesome game. :)

...it's just a question of how many troll heads are cut off on the way...
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#3 Post by Aquitaine »

Just another brief word on this topic.

At the current rate, it is only a matter of time before FO switches to private forums, with a single public forum from which new people will be recruited.

It is incumbent on everyone here to make sure that they have read not only the appropriate forum policies, but also any relevant posts before they add to a discussion. I know poor Nightfish goes absolutely nuts when he's in the middle of a five page thread and somebody goes 'what do you mean we have minerals? we shouldn't have minerals'

I think a lot of people take their accounts for granted. To be quite frank, you are not entitled to post in this forum (and neither am I). You are permitted to post because we -assume- that you want to contribute to this project and we offer up the format through which such contributions occur. Every time somebody jumps into the middle of a debate without knowing anything about that process or what we've done so far just makes it even more clear that public forums aren't going to work.

The next step that we're going to take will be to prevent most users from opening threads of any kind on most of the boards; FO team members and moderators will be able to open them, and then everyone can reply to them. Obviously, we'd rather not do this, but I ended up spending about 2/3 of the time I had this weekend for FO on policing the forums, rather than writing the v0.2 requirements doc. The next time forum policing takes up a lot of time, we'll do this.

Please remember that you are a guest. I apologize to everyone who does not need to be told this.

-Aquitaine
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!