Where are my people gone?

Talk about anything and everything related or unrelated to the FreeOrion project, especially Strategy Games.

Moderator: Oberlus

kroddn
Static Linker

Where are my people gone?

#1 Post by kroddn »

Hello there,

i tried playing mutliple times, but i did not find out, why sometimes my people drop from over 30 to about 17.

What i recognized ist, that also my infrastructure level fall to 0. And the turn before that happens, beyond my planet there are 4 red "Mining"-Icons, which do not have a tooltip (just "???????").

What does that mean? Can anybody help me? How is that infrastructure-meter calculated? Why does it drop to zero?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Where are my people gone?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

kroddn wrote:i tried playing mutliple times, but i did not find out, why sometimes my people drop from over 30 to about 17.
Likely they're starving. Make sure you're producing enough food (see below).
...beyond my planet there are 4 red "Mining"-Icons...
These are probably starvation specials, which are added each turn the planet is starving, apparently in multiple copies. (I don't like this mechanism, and will likely remove it.) They, and most other specials, look like mining icons because I used that as placeholder art until we get some additional specials icons. A generic ? unknown special icon would be better as a placeholder.
...which do not have a tooltip (just "???????").
If you update from SVN, this should be fixed as of yesterday or early this morning. Various other planet panel icons have received tooltips as well, and others are improved, such as the resource icons, the population and health icons, and buildings on the sidepanel.
How is that infrastructure-meter calculated?
The max value is determined by a base value, and various effects that increase it or decrease it. On your homeworld, it's mainly increased by the homeworld special.

The current value starts equal to max on the homeworld, but on new colonies, it starts at zero and increases slowly over time, up to the max value. If the max value falls, it caps the current value.

In future, I hope / plan to add a list that shows all effects that are altering a meter, to make things clearer why meters have the value they do.
Why does it drop to zero?
Probably due to the above-mentioned starvation special.

To avoid starvation, make sure you have enough food. Keep the homeworld on balanced or farming primary focus, or farming secondary focus. (Tooltips over the focus selectors indicate which is which.)

FubarJeb
Space Krill

#3 Post by FubarJeb »

I have the same problem. My infrastructure drops from 20 to 0 and my population gets cut in half. It's not a starvation problem as far as I can tell. My population was actually about to increase the next turn. For no apperant reason the infrastructure dropped to 0.

This is going from Turn 3 to Turn 4.
I think it has something to do with what I'm researching in the beggining.
I'm just researching all the techs that take 1 turn to complete.
If I start the game from Turn 1 and don't research anything, it doesn't happen.

Any ideas?

I'm using FreeOrion-0.3.1-RC6

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Read the descriptions of what techs do before researching them.

http://freeorion.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1864