Python-Problem

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

kroddn
Static Linker

Python-Problem

#1 Post by kroddn »

I read that python2.5 is now required. I have python2.5 installed, but it seems to me that scons always uses python2.4 if that is the system-default. Maybe scons should check for "python2.5" and only take "python" if it cannot find the first.

I saw, that for win32 there is an option in build_config.py named python_win32_libname.

The scons configure outputs:

Code: Select all

scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Configuring for POSIX system...
Checking for Py_Initialize() in C library python2.4... yes
I hacked the problem by symlinking /usr/bin/python and python-config to the python2.5-versions. But i dont like changing system-files.

/Edit Kroddn:
FreeOrion should be using Python2.5. Scons may run with Python2.4, while linking the freeorion has to be done with 2.5!

loonycyborg
Compilation Expert

Re: Python-Problem

#2 Post by loonycyborg »

kroddn wrote:SCons always uses python2.4 if that is the system-default.
SCons uses the python that is used to run it.

Currently I have no problems compiling and running freeorion with Python2.4.
In Soviet Russia, forum posts YOU!!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

loonycyborg wrote:
kroddn wrote:SCons always uses python2.4 if that is the system-default.
SCons uses the python that is used to run it.
His point is that it should be possible to run SCons with one version of python (eg. 2.4) and have it build GG and FreeOrion to run using another version (eg. 2.5), presumably by setting python_version in build_config.py, or something similar.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by tzlaine »

kroddn wrote:I read that python2.5 is now required. I have python2.5 installed, but it seems to me that scons always uses python2.4 if that is the system-default. Maybe scons should check for "python2.5" and only take "python" if it cannot find the first.

I saw, that for win32 there is an option in build_config.py named python_win32_libname.

The scons configure outputs:

scons: Reading SConscript files ...
Configuring for POSIX system...
Checking for Py_Initialize() in C library python2.4... yes
I hacked the problem by symlinking /usr/bin/python and python-config to the python2.5-versions. But i dont like changing system-files.

/Edit Kroddn:
FreeOrion should be using Python2.5. Scons may run with Python2.4, while linking the freeorion has to be done with 2.5!
Python 2.4 is fine, and that's what I'm using. Python 2.5 is only required when using the Win32 SDK. The SCons build determines which Python to use by using the Python distutils module. It's best if you stick to one version, or if you need two versions of Python installed on your system, manually edit the python-related env variables in the SConstruct file to work with the one you want to use.

loonycyborg
Compilation Expert

#5 Post by loonycyborg »

Geoff the Medio wrote: His point is that it should be possible to run SCons with one version of python (eg. 2.4) and have it build GG and FreeOrion to run using another version (eg. 2.5)
My point was that it is possible to set python version used by invoking the right python:

python2.5 `which scons`
instead of just "scons".
In Soviet Russia, forum posts YOU!!

kroddn
Static Linker

#6 Post by kroddn »

The compilation with python2.4 failed, so i switched to 2.5. And then it worked.

I'll try again with 2.4 later, maybe the problem was not python (although i tracked it down that it had to be...).

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#7 Post by Geoff the Medio »

kroddn wrote:The compilation with python2.4 failed, so i switched to 2.5. And then it worked.

I'll try again with 2.4 later, maybe the problem was not python (although i tracked it down that it had to be...).
Didn't you have boost built with 2.5, but were trying to compile GG and FO with 2.4? Though you can use either, I suspect the versions need to be consistent amongst all the dependencies.

kroddn
Static Linker

#8 Post by kroddn »

Yes, now I remember.

Thats the point, the debian-package for boost 1.34 depends on python2.5, and uses this version. And as I normally do not manually change packets which are automatically built i must use python2.5 for freeorion.

So - a solvation to this problem could be that a parameter "--with-python=xxx" could be added to scons.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#9 Post by tzlaine »

kroddn wrote:Yes, now I remember.

Thats the point, the debian-package for boost 1.34 depends on python2.5, and uses this version. And as I normally do not manually change packets which are automatically built i must use python2.5 for freeorion.

So - a solvation to this problem could be that a parameter "--with-python=xxx" could be added to scons.
That can't help you if you link against the boost 1.34 debian package. In fact, it will cause enormous problems, becuase you will end up linking in libpython2.4.so and libpython2.5.so if xxx=2.4. The SCons system currently just uses whatever version Python tells it to via python.distutils, which IMO is the safest bet.

kroddn
Static Linker

#10 Post by kroddn »

Thats right. I will build boost again, trying python-2.4.