Online Translator for FreeOrion - FOOT

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

pakalk
Krill Swarm

Online Translator for FreeOrion - FOOT

#1 Post by pakalk »

EDIT:

I will post changes made in FOOT in this thread. Translator is available at http://fo.lukaszk.in5.pl and it works fine ;)

There is a forum for FOOT available at http://fo.lukaszk.in5.pl/forum - discussions about FOOT should be done there.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Welcome, Wilkommen Sie & Witam

I wanted to translate some strings to Polish and I have created an online translator that may help me to do that. I decided that this translator will support more than one language. I loaded currently translated strings (languages: German, Spanish, French, Dansk) into my database, but there is still a lot of work to do.

Anyone can translate strings without logging in.

Come, see, say what do you think about it: http://fo.lukaszk.in5.pl (it should be available from about 23-10-07 02:00 AM). I have just made it - it is my weekend project :P so it can work not perfectly. Especially because that the server is not the most powerful.

I hope it will be helpful not only in Polish translation.

(Attention. Strings may be deleted from database - right now the page is set for testing only.)

-----------
Sorry for my poor English - if anyone can correct my mistakes, I would be grateful :)

----------

There are some encoding errors now. I will repair them later.
Last edited by pakalk on Mon Dec 03, 2007 1:50 pm, edited 3 times in total.

MareviQ
Space Kraken

Re: Polish Translation + Online Translator

#2 Post by MareviQ »

Lang=EN
Nice idea, though it would be nice if it had more options (3 states for each line: untranslated, primary translation, final translation),
and noting which pages have untranslated strings on them would help greatly.
But overall this is a great, and makes it easy for people to participate.
I don't know if FO is UTF-8 compatible, as last time I checked it wasn't and polish letters didn't render properly, but that was quite a long time ago.

Lang=PL
Niezły pomysł, choć byłoby miło jeśli miałby kilka dodatkowych opcji (3 stany dla każdej linii tekstu: nieprzetłumaczona, tłumaczenie wstępne, tłumaczenie końcowe), no i dużą pomocą byłby jakiś wskaźnik na których stronach są jeszcze linie wymagające tłumaczenia.
Jednak ogólnie uważam to za zbawienie dla ludzi którzy chcą od ręki wziąść się za tłumaczenie.
Nie pamiętam tylko czy FO ma wsparcie dla UTF-8. Ostatnim razem jak próbowałem coś tłumaczyć to zamiast polskich liter miałem krzaki. Ale z drugiej strony to było dawno temu.
abs(imag(ME) / abs(ME)) = exp(PI) - PI - 19;

pakalk
Krill Swarm

#3 Post by pakalk »

Nice idea, though it would be nice if it had more options (3 states for each line: untranslated, primary translation, final translation),
I don't there is a need to do so. Original english string is always displayed (untranslated), the newest translation is displayed too (final translation). All translations are saved, the newest version is used when generating file. I will add translation history to each string so any one will be able to restore older version. The best version should be the newest. If someone wants to create own version of translation, he/she may create new language and translate strings in his/her own way.
and noting which pages have untranslated strings on them would help greatly.
Will be done. I will create some filtering later (maybe later this week).
But overall this is a great, and makes it easy for people to participate.
Polish version of this sentence sounds better ;) Thanks :)
I don't know if FO is UTF-8 compatible, as last time I checked it wasn't and polish letters didn't render properly, but that was quite a long time ago.
It is not UTF8 compatible, but I created the system using UTF8 because I can make not polish letter using polish letters (ex. ą->a) but I can't make polish letters using not polish ones (ex. a->ą). I have described this problem in "Stringtable" section. There is a form that can be used to replace national letters with latin ones (in the fact, you can replace any letter with any other, so you may generate even SiSsY version of FO stringtable).

Thanks for reply :) I am going now to improve some performance, repair encodings and maybe add some features.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by pd »

Thanks for your effort, this sounds really nice and helpful. To bad it is down at the moment, I was in the mood of translating some strings :)

pakalk
Krill Swarm

#5 Post by pakalk »

pd wrote:Thanks for your effort, this sounds really nice and helpful. To bad it is down at the moment, I was in the mood of translating some strings :)
I will re-enable it tommorow (24-10-07). I have to do some performance stuff. I did this page quite fast and.. I made some mistakes. Now I have to repair them ;)

Please, be patient :)

----------------------------

EDIT:

Ok, it works :)

There may be some errors - if you (any one) find some of them, please report it to me. I will fix them.

New features of this webpage will be successively added. At this moment, I plan to add:
- history of translations
- final version indicator
- filtering on translations list
- stats/i-dont-know-how-to-call-it-stuff

I don't know when I will do this - I have other things to do too ;)

pakalk
Krill Swarm

#6 Post by pakalk »

New features of this webpage will be successively added. At this moment, I plan to add:
- history of translations [DONE, MAY BE IMPROVED]
- final version indicator [DONE]
- filtering on translations list [DONE, MAY BE IMPROVED]
- stats/i-dont-know-how-to-call-it-stuff [DONE, MAY BE IMPROVED]
FOOT has been updated. Say what do you think about http://fo.lukaszk.in5.pl , please :)

pakalk
Krill Swarm

Re: Online Translator for FreeOrion - FOOT

#7 Post by pakalk »

Some improvements have been made:
  • - Russian language added
    - codepage selection in stringtable generator added
    - new language addition fixed
    - misc. changes
Supported codepages for generated stringtable:
  • - UTF-8
    - ISO-8859-X
    - WINDOWS-125Y
where
1 <= X <= 16, X != 12
0 <= Y <= 8

giemz
Space Krill

#8 Post by giemz »

Quite a good idea. Here are some comments (not really smart ones but...):
1. A tool that searches in finished translations would help maintain translation-consistency, because I could check how a word is translated. And believe me, that's a huge problem, especially with game-idea words like turn, focus, production points etc. It would be very disinformative to have one game-idea word translated diffrently in two strings.
And it would help in debugging translation if you find a typo or something when playing the game.

2. There could be really a "Marked as 'almost translated'." so if I don't know how to translate one word from a long text, or I'm not sure and would like somebody to check it I could mark it.

3. A way to upload a stringtable file to your site would be nice as there are probably a lot of already finished translations which could use some polish or finishing or just submitting to the community.

pakalk
Krill Swarm

#9 Post by pakalk »

giemz wrote:Quite a good idea. Here are some comments (not really smart ones but...):
1. A tool that searches in finished translations would help maintain translation-consistency, because I could check how a word is translated. And believe me, that's a huge problem, especially with game-idea words like turn, focus, production points etc. It would be very disinformative to have one game-idea word translated diffrently in two strings.
And it would help in debugging translation if you find a typo or something when playing the game.

2. There could be really a "Marked as 'almost translated'." so if I don't know how to translate one word from a long text, or I'm not sure and would like somebody to check it I could mark it.

3. A way to upload a stringtable file to your site would be nice as there are probably a lot of already finished translations which could use some polish or finishing or just submitting to the community.
1. OK, I just have no time to do everything at once.
2. I though about it too.
3. If someone has his own translation, he may send it to me, and I will add it to database. I will think about automatic stringtable import.

Comments to translations will be added soon.

I will extend functionality of this translator when I will have a time to do so. Please, be patient and send me your proposals :)

pakalk
Krill Swarm

#10 Post by pakalk »

Tommorow (at evening) I will:
-add comments to translations,
-change history viewer,
-change some other features

---------

PLEASE! Do not mark translations as fisnished until they are really finished! :)

-----

Edit:
-Comments added
-Search form added

Misc changes to go..

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#11 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The FOOT page about it describes FreeOrion as "a clone of Master of Orion (II)". This is incorrect. FreeOrion is inspired by MOO(2), but is not a clone (of any game) and incorporates ideas from various other games besides MOO(2) and has many new ideas not copied from another game as well.

Some other suggestions:

Have some built-in capacity to deal with changes to the base english stringtable that need to be propegated to the translations. The most important changes are probably the addition of new strings that need translations, and modifications to existing strings. Any translations of modified strings should probably be marked as incomplete. Deleted strings could be just removed from the translations, but saving them might be useful, in case the string was just renamed in the english version.

You might also want to have multiple versions of translations possible. Right now, there are differences that make stringtable for the latest point release and the SVN version incompatible.

Additionally, some strings contain special sequences of characters like %1% (where the 1 can be another number) that need to be present in the translated string... They're replaced with some other string or number in the rendered text, and might cause crashes if there are different number (total) or number (within the %'s) of these in the translated string from what is expected. I suspect this is the cause of crashes some people have been recently reporting with out-of-date translations that are in the point release or SVN. ... Anyway, the point was that you might want to have some built-in consistency check for the translated string, to ensure it has all the same %1% type flags as the english string, so that someone translating won't accidentally (or intentionally?) submit a broken string.

pakalk
Krill Swarm

#12 Post by pakalk »

Geoff the Medio wrote:The FOOT page about it describes FreeOrion as "a clone of Master of Orion (II)". This is incorrect. FreeOrion is inspired by MOO(2), but is not a clone (of any game) and incorporates ideas from various other games besides MOO(2) and has many new ideas not copied from another game as well.
OK :) I will change it ;)
Some other suggestions:

Have some built-in capacity to deal with changes to the base english stringtable that need to be propegated to the translations. The most important changes are probably the addition of new strings that need translations, and modifications to existing strings. Any translations of modified strings should probably be marked as incomplete. Deleted strings could be just removed from the translations, but saving them might be useful, in case the string was just renamed in the english version.
I will manage it myself (it will be not public) or I will create public root accounts in the future, because I do not want any one to make something not compatibile with the game. There will be no string deletion feature. Instead, I will allow to generate stringtables for different versions of FO - now it is latest stable.
You might also want to have multiple versions of translations possible. Right now, there are differences that make stringtable for the latest point release and the SVN version incompatible.
I will think about it. I mentioned it above. I will add a relation between translations and version of FO - but I have to think how to do it the best way.
Additionally, some strings contain special sequences of characters like %1% (where the 1 can be another number) that need to be present in the translated string... They're replaced with some other string or number in the rendered text, and might cause crashes if there are different number (total) or number (within the %'s) of these in the translated string from what is expected. I suspect this is the cause of crashes some people have been recently reporting with out-of-date translations that are in the point release or SVN. ... Anyway, the point was that you might want to have some built-in consistency check for the translated string, to ensure it has all the same %1% type flags as the english string, so that someone translating won't accidentally (or intentionally?) submit a broken string.
OK. I will add this feature - FOOT will search for %d% and check if they exist in translated version, and if the number of %d%'s is correct. Incorrect strings will be checked as errorous (?) and will be not used in stringtable generation proccess.

And as i mentioned above - all changes on aliases, original strings, really important data I will do myself - for comaptibility.

I will add changes as soon as posible (possible? posibble? posiblle? sorry :P).

Thank you for suggestions :)

pakalk
Krill Swarm

#13 Post by pakalk »

There is a forum for FOOT available at http://fo.lukaszk.in5.pl/forum - discussions about FOOT should be done there.