MacOsX Version issues

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid

Re: MacOsX Version issues

#46 Post by LaplaceOperator »

New Compiled Version of FreeOrion for Mac Os X available. Plz tell me if you encounter any problems. The disk image comes together with all the necessary shared libraries.

You can get it here:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/schwadri/downl ... n-rc6+.dmg

Can someone please update the entries on the Wiki? I wanted to change the link on the download page but it seems that now editing isn't allowed any longer. Plz remove all the other OsX related download links as i'm no longer providing them...

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid

#47 Post by LaplaceOperator »

I just put up an SDK for MacOs X 10.4+. It can be downloaded here:

http://n.ethz.ch/student/schwadri/download/osx.tar.bz2

It contains universal binary versions of all the needed libraries and their include files. It does NOT contain the FreeOrion and GiGi code nor any artwork. In order to use it you have to checkout these first. Then you have to unpack osx.tar.bz2 in the FreeOrion directory. The Xcode Project should now be located in FreeOrion/osx/. Then you have to apply the patches I posted earlier in this thread to the FreeOrion code. Now it should be possible to compile. After compiling is done you will have to copy the dynamic libraries (*.dylib not *.a) in osx/dep/local/lib to /usr/local/lib or you can alternatively download the disk image which contains an installer that does this for you. I hope this should work. Maybe you will have to change some include path settings in the project, but I hope not as I was really careful to use only relative paths. If there are any problems please let me know.

Cheers

jesse
Space Krill

#48 Post by jesse »

Gratitude for posting the new compiled version. Unfortunately, FreeOrion won't even open for me. Or actually it opens, but it closes itself right away. Any help?

I'm using a PowerBook G4 with OS X 10.4.11 installed.

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid

#49 Post by LaplaceOperator »

I see two possible problems here that may have caused this.

1. You had a previous version of FreeOrion running in a different directory. FreeOrion saves a configuration file at the following path: "~/Library/FreeOrion/config.xml". In that file it specifies where the settings-directory is to be found. The settings directory is contained in the FreeOrion.app bundle though. Now if this configuration file is found at startup, the settings directory from your previous version will be loaded. But it is no longer valid. Thus as soon as it tries to load a resource, it will exit. To resolve this, just delete the config.xml and it should work.

2. If still not working you might be missing some dynamic libraries. To see which ones you don't have, start the game from the terminal. Change to the directory that contains the application bundle and invoke:

Code: Select all

./FreeOrion.app/Contents/MacOs/FreeOrion
This should give you the error of the dynamic linker which mentions the missing library. Something like this:

Code: Select all

dyld: Library not loaded: <library name>
  Referenced from: ./FreeOrion.app/Contents/MacOs/FreeOrion
  Reason: image not found
Trace/BPT trap
Anyway please just post whatever it says there ;-)
Last edited by LaplaceOperator on Wed Nov 21, 2007 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jesse
Space Krill

#50 Post by jesse »

That fixed it! Thanks...

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid

#51 Post by LaplaceOperator »

I fixed the settings-dir issue. Additionally the configuration directory has been moved to ~/Library/Application Support/FreeOrion. The necessary changes have been incorporated into the patchfile.

KiwiJulz
Space Krill

#52 Post by KiwiJulz »

First, thanks LaplaceOperator for making a binary of this- much appreciated, you've made it easy to start enjoying this game.

One thing I've noticed- it crashes as soon as I click multiplayer.
Oh- hangon... it only crashes if you have no network available and you click multiplayer.

(The difference of trying this on the bus ride home vs at home :-) )

Thanks again,

Julian

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid

#53 Post by LaplaceOperator »

Yeah I noticed this problem too. Must be the new network code.

AnonymousMaster
Space Krill

#54 Post by AnonymousMaster »

Running 10.3.9, on a G4 dual processor 450 mhz (Gigabit Ethernet).

The application, which I obtained from the FreeOrion download page, opens, but immediately closes afterwards. Terminal reports thus:

dyld: /Applications/FreeOrion.app/Contents/MacOs/FreeOrion Undefined symbols:
/Applications/FreeOrion.app/Contents/MacOs/FreeOrion undefined reference to ___stderrp expected to be defined in /usr/lib/libSystem.B.dylib
Trace/BPT trap

Can this problem be resolved by some method, is it a bug, or will it just be impossible for this particular version of OS X to run it?

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid

#55 Post by LaplaceOperator »

No. I'm sorry but i built FreeOrion against the 10.4 system libraries, so this will not work. I will try to make a new build against the 10.3 libs eventually. But this will take some time as all the dependencies have to be rebuilt as well.

Proto-Clown
Space Krill

#56 Post by Proto-Clown »

Thanks to everybody who has worked on this project. I am anxious to give it a try, however every link posted in this thread as well as the download page is invalid.

Is there perhaps an updated link? I am dying to play!

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid

#57 Post by LaplaceOperator »

For some reason my student page is down. I contacted support. But this could take a while. Just check back in a day or two.

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid

#58 Post by LaplaceOperator »

The urls are working again. I don't know why they were inaccessible but maybe it would be a good thing to host the binaries on sourceforge if possible.

Proto-Clown
Space Krill

#59 Post by Proto-Clown »

They are inaccessible again.

Sorry to be a pest.

LaplaceOperator
Space Squid

#60 Post by LaplaceOperator »

I just had a look. The stuff is there. Maybe they were maintaining the servers yesterday.