freeOrion logo

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
LithiumMongoose
Audio Lead Emeritus

#76 Post by LithiumMongoose »

So uhh, I guess no one else thinks it'd look better if the gray O was continuous under the red cross eh? (Sorry, had to ask. ;)
eleazar wrote:Here's what you're missing if your OS doesn't support 128x128 icons: :twisted:
<extensive cheering for fellow Mac user>

Guiltfeeder566
Space Krill

Re: freeOrion logo

#77 Post by Guiltfeeder566 »

It needs a better short cut design. Ugly white is messing with my desktops grove.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#78 Post by pd »

Sounds like you volunteer!
The Silent One has done some ground work already. Heres is a 128x128 png and a 32x32 ico. We also need this in 16x16 and 48x48. I'm pretty sure that the 16x16 one will have to be painted pixel by pixel, because any scaling algorithm will blur too much. We need one set with 8bit transparency and one with 1bit.

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#79 Post by Mystiqq »

Alternatives for the wiki main page title pic thing. The current one is quite horrible, even i say so. :)

nm.

update:
My favorite is this one, smaller, "clear" simple almost black and white. At least against white background it works.

Cheers!
Last edited by Mystiqq on Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
CHAT!!!! irc://irc.freenode.org:6667/freeorion

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#80 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I like the current one better than those... The new ones seem hard to read and generic. You could at least keep the FO logo in the name...

The Silent One
Graphics

#81 Post by The Silent One »

Nice to see you back around, MysticQ!
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#82 Post by Mystiqq »

The Silent One wrote:Nice to see you back around, MysticQ!
Hey! :)

I got disturbed by seeing that old "thing" on the wiki page so i had to try and do something to replace it. :oops:

The logo looks nasty i guess but these WIPs anyways, so...

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#83 Post by eleazar »

Mystiqq wrote:Alternatives for the wiki main page title pic thing. The current one is quite horrible, even i say so. :)
Yes, the wiki logo is an old, out of date logo, but that's no call to replace it with a completely different logo.
What we need is a version against white, like this:
fo_wiki_logo.jpg
fo_wiki_logo.jpg (14.83 KiB) Viewed 2849 times
pd wrote: The Silent One has done some ground work already. Heres is a 128x128 png and a 32x32 ico. We also need this in 16x16 and 48x48. I'm pretty sure that the 16x16 one will have to be painted pixel by pixel, because any scaling algorithm will blur too much. We need one set with 8bit transparency and one with 1bit.
I'm not sure why you particularly including those in your post. On the previous page, i provided a link to redone FO icons of various sizes. There's no 48x48, but my 128x128 has better sharpness and contrast against light or dark backgrounds.

Of course, for smaller sizes you'll want to shorten the vertical red spikes, but i don't think fading them out is a good means to do that.

Mystiqq
Space Kraken

#84 Post by Mystiqq »

Nevermind then. :)

The Silent One
Graphics

#85 Post by The Silent One »

eleazar wrote:On the previous page, i provided a link to redone FO icons of various sizes. There's no 48x48, but my 128x128 has better sharpness and contrast against light or dark backgrounds.
Having forgotten that you'd already taken care of those, I did some work on them recently - pd probably didn't remember that you'd done so either. I don't mind using your icon, but I think you may have overdone the sharpness in the large icon.
eleazar wrote:Of course, for smaller sizes you'll want to shorten the vertical red spikes, but i don't think fading them out is a good means to do that.
It doesn't show that the spikes fade at 16x16, but for larger sizes, you're right that we may want to do something different.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

eleazar

#86 Post by eleazar »

The Silent One wrote: I don't mind using your icon, but I think you may have overdone the sharpness in the large icon.
Here's the PSD if you want to mess with a layered file
Attachments
logo5.psd.zip
(108.32 KiB) Downloaded 219 times

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#87 Post by pd »

eleazar wrote:I'm not sure why you particularly including those in your post. On the previous page, i provided a link to redone FO icons of various sizes. There's no 48x48, but my 128x128 has better sharpness and contrast against light or dark backgrounds.
I indeed have forgotten this and didn't browse through the entire thread, when Guiltfeeder566 asked for better icons.

The logo as it is now is very unlikely to change. It looks nice, is clear and simple and is recognizable.

I'm glad to see you around again Mystiqq, I hope you'll stay for a while :) Thanks for your effort(and for the current logo of course).

Josh
Graphics

#88 Post by Josh »

O snap. You're the guy who designed the category icons? It's me! You're biggest fan! What? You don't remember? O, nevermind then.

I would like to ask a teensy weensy favor though; Would you design the ship category icon? I've been killing myself trying to copy your work, but I just can't come up with anything compelling :x

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#89 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Could I get a version of the FreeOrion logo at around 128x128 pixels formatted as a transparent GIF? I've tried converting the 128x128 PNG version, but it's got some gradients in the transparency that make it difficult to get a clean edge without making the logo look oddly thin and jagged-edged, since (as far as I can tell) GIF just supports a single transparency level which is 100% transparent.

eleazar

#90 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Could I get a version of the FreeOrion logo at around 128x128 pixels formatted as a transparent GIF? I've tried converting the 128x128 PNG version, but it's got some gradients in the transparency that make it difficult to get a clean edge without making the logo look oddly thin and jagged-edged, since (as far as I can tell) GIF just supports a single transparency level which is 100% transparent.
For use against a background of a specific color, and if so what?
A gif that's not all squared off edges will never look great against an arbitrary background because the aliasing will be glaringly obvious against one background or another.