3.9 doesn't support widescreen

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
ndjamena
Space Floater

3.9 doesn't support widescreen

#1 Post by ndjamena »

I've got a 1680 x 1050 60hz LCD monitor, in 3.8 I was able to play the game with the full resolution. Now that I've upgraded all I get is an error message. On the supplied resolutions the planets are oval rather than round and look very odd. I tried a resolution of 1280 x 800 - the same ratio as full resolution - but all I got was a 1280 x 1024 resolution screen with the game only drawing on the bottom 800 pixels, which would be fine except the mouse cursor detection was stuck on the top 800 pixels so where I was pointing wasn't where the game thought I was pointing. Anyway, as some who read my last post may remember, I've been trying to finish a 500 star map and occupy all available planets with buildings. The problem I had was the very long waiting times for a planet to change focus and later for a production to register. Anyway I abondoned the original map and tried a new one hoping that lowering the starway count would speed it up - it didn't. I could live with that, but I found a new bug. Whenever you saved twice on the same turn the second save could never be loaded - all you get is a windows error. I spent days on turn 478 and was about three quarters of the way through changing the focus's of the new colonies - anyway while I was away my brother decided to use the computer, he saved the game and exited - and of course it won't load. Before I start a new 500 map in 3.9 I'd like to know if this multiple save bug is fixed.

So, is this bug fixed in 3.9?

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: 3.9 doesn't support widescreen

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

ndjamena wrote:I've got a 1680 x 1050 60hz LCD monitor, in 3.8 I was able to play the game with the full resolution. Now that I've upgraded all I get is an error message.
How do you set the resolution, and what's the error message?

By setting custom resolution to 1680 x 1050, then running freeorion -f, I get a working fullscreen game using 0.3.9...
Whenever you saved twice on the same turn the second save could never be loaded - all you get is a windows error. ... saved the game and exited - and of course it won't load. Before I start a new 500 map in 3.9 I'd like to know if this multiple save bug is fixed.
I haven't heard of this bug. Could you test again, perhaps using a smaller 30 star map on the first few turns, to see if it's reproducible, and then post a bug report on sourceforge if it is? The fact that a save failed once and happened to be the second save that turn mean that was the cause if you haven't tried reproducing it.

Edit: Also, I just finished some changes to the code so that when you change a planet's focus, meter values and resource production are only recalculated for the objects in the system that the planet is in, rather than the whole universe. The resources produced by the empire are still recalculated for the whole empire, but hopefully the changes made will speed up response to focus changes, without introducing errors in results unless there are weird and effects that act on planets in other systems when a planet's focus is changed.

I guess this means we should avoid using planet focus as an activation condition for effects groups.
Attachments
1680 x 1050 at 50% zoom
1680 x 1050 at 50% zoom
FO_1680x1050_50pcnt_zoom.png (573.84 KiB) Viewed 3520 times

ndjamena
Space Floater

#3 Post by ndjamena »

This is the video error.
Attachments
FreeOrion1.JPG
FreeOrion1.JPG (36.2 KiB) Viewed 3500 times

ndjamena
Space Floater

#4 Post by ndjamena »

Also, the game refuses to close.
Attachments
FreeOrion2.JPG
FreeOrion2.JPG (67.18 KiB) Viewed 3494 times

ndjamena
Space Floater

#5 Post by ndjamena »

And leaves freeorionca.exe running.
Attachments
FreeOrion3.JPG
FreeOrion3.JPG (54.81 KiB) Viewed 3490 times

M4lV
Space Squid

#6 Post by M4lV »

From the "no large enough video mode found" message, I'd say somehow it fails to get that information via the drivers and windows settings. If 0.38 is still working under that configuration then I think the problem should be with the new additions in 0.39 (and not on the user side).

You know about the "edit" button ndjamena? There's no need for triple posting ;).

ndjamena
Space Floater

#7 Post by ndjamena »

As for the saving problem, it wasn't just that time. I figured it out on my first 500 map and tested it a few times, since then it has occured on two other maps. It might be a 500 star thing. I even tried loading a first save and saving it again and that didn't work. I'll start a new map in 3.9 and see if it happens again - I may be awhile.

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

How are you trying to close the program that "refuses" to work? Are you trying to close it during a several-minute wait to change focus, or when it's just sitting at the main splash menu?

It's unlikely to help, but you could try deleting your config.xml (in C:\Documents and Settings\UserName\Application Data\FreeOrion ). Sometimes previous versions of this file are left after installing new versions and problems result. I'd have expected to see other errors in this case, though it's worth a try.

Also try deleting resolutions.txt in the same directory.

The no video modes found message is likely an SDL-related error. I don't know what changed between v0.3.8 and v0.3.9 that would alter this behaviour, though.

Saving twice on the same turn seems to work fine in the SVN version. Does it make a difference if you've given any orders yet that turn?

ndjamena
Space Floater

#9 Post by ndjamena »

This is me attempting to load a second save in 3.9. And yes I had changed some orders from the first save - otherwise there would be no point in saving.

I had to delete config.xml to get the game running in the first place.

As for closing, I just resign and then exit.

should I send someone the saved games so they can look at them?
Attachments
freeorion4.JPG
freeorion4.JPG (58.18 KiB) Viewed 3474 times

Geoff the Medio

#10 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Does the program crash when saving the second time, or when loading the second save on a turn? Can you check whether saving / loading works without giving orders? Does it crash when loading saves made after giving orders, or saves made after loading a previous save, giving orders, then saving again?
ndjamena wrote:should I send someone the saved games so they can look at them?
What would be helpful is determining a minimal series of steps to reproduce the crash.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#11 Post by pd »

Send the save game to info at optisch-edel dot de. I'll see if I can maybe load it and will put it on my server.

ndjamena
Space Floater

#12 Post by ndjamena »

The error happens only when attempting to load a second save.

I'll do some more experiments.

ndjamena
Space Floater

#13 Post by ndjamena »

I've been thinking. While emailing the save games to info I noticed that the second save is much smaller than the first. Is it possible that I'm leaving the game before it has finished saving which stops the save partway through? The fact that they are all second saves could be a coincidence.

The Email I sent was rejected.

Geoff the Medio

#14 Post by Geoff the Medio »

ndjamena wrote:I've been thinking. While emailing the save games to info I noticed that the second save is much smaller than the first. Is it possible that I'm leaving the game before it has finished saving which stops the save partway through? The fact that they are all second saves could be a coincidence.
Yes, that's possible. The server does the saving, so it might be possible that it hasn't finished by the time you quit the client...

However I suspect that something's failing during the save. You might have a look at freeoriond.log or the AI log files created most recently after a failed save (one that produces a smaller than usual save file) to see if there are anything interesting looking error messages.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#15 Post by pd »

ndjamena wrote:The Email I sent was rejected.
What's the size of the save game? Did you compress it?