Translation trouble.

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

Captain Rage
Space Krill

Translation trouble.

#1 Post by Captain Rage »

After doing some editing to the text I noticed that the names and descriptions of quite alot of buildings had been messed up. Just like this one:

The thing is, I haven't even started to translate those parts of the text, so I don't know why they got messy.

Anything in particular that I should have in mind while translating? Sadly, my methods so far are very unprofessional, I just open the stringtable file in OpenOffice and save it when I'm done, so maybe the formatting gets to suffer.
Trying to translate FreeOrion into Swedish.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Translation trouble.

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

That particular error is due to a typo. It should be IMPERIAL not IMERIAL.

This might have been in v0.3.9, though should be fixed in SVN, so make sure you're based your translation on the latest file in SVN.

Are there any other errors besides that one building?

You don't need anything fancy like OpenOffice to edit the stringtable file. It's just plain text.

Captain Rage
Space Krill

#3 Post by Captain Rage »

I tried to change IMERIAL to IMPERIAL, but this error persists even then.
Yes, it's the same thing for about half of all buildings, though the other half looks as it should.

That's another question, when the SVN stringtable gets updated, does it mean that I have to manually cut and paste all text from my current file to match? That would be tedious. :P

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Can you try to find the first entry in the stringtable that is showing errors? There might be a missing newline or other formatting error that's been introduced somehow...

Automating the process was the motivation for the FOOT system that's linked from the wiki translations template, although he seems to have abandoned it...

There should be some general-purpose software to make updating easier, such as programs that let you look at two files side-by-side and highlight differences. You can also look at the changes between versions of the english stringtable, and make those same changes to your own version. This will generally be much less text than the whole file.

Captain Rage
Space Krill

#5 Post by Captain Rage »

I tried that now, but to find a what line break is causing the problem is like looking for a needle in a haystack, atleast when you're not used to working in a word processor.
Oh, well, I'll just continue for now and maybe I'll figure it out.
And if you do know a text editor or word processor more suited for this task than OpenOffice Writer, don't keep it a secret.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by pd »

A simple search seems to produce some useful results. You'll have to see for yourself, what is available for free and what suits this task best.

Captain Rage
Space Krill

#7 Post by Captain Rage »

Okay, looks like it wasn't me who caused the error with building names. I used the latest SVN stringtable when I started translating, and now I tried to use the original SVN stringtable which gives the same errors. The conclusion would be that the latest SVN stringtable is not 100% compatible with the FreeOrion version that I'm using.

Thank you for the search tip, it led me to WinMerge which seems mighty fine for this sort of things.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#8 Post by pd »

Your welcome, good luck with this huge translation task. I had to laugh when I've read "enorm karg". It makes sense in german too :)

kroddn
Static Linker

#9 Post by kroddn »

There's no real concept for translaters to maintain the langfiles. I wrote a thread with a feature-request to help maintain langfiles, there is work to be done:

viewtopic.php?f=9&t=2115