Plugin_CgProgramManager needed?

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

kroddn
Static Linker

Plugin_CgProgramManager needed?

#1 Post by kroddn »

I just run FreeOrion on a linux box with nvidia gfx without having loaded this OGRE plugin. So, is it needed at all?

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

Re: Plugin_CgProgramManager needed?

#2 Post by tzlaine »

Yes, cg.so and Plugin_CgProgramManager.so are needed. The PagedGeometry code (added a couple of weeks ago) uses Cg.

kroddn
Static Linker

#3 Post by kroddn »

Would be interesting to know if modern ATI cards support Cg. Maybe those having "Vertex texture fetch: yes" do so?

OndrejR
Space Dragon

#4 Post by OndrejR »

kroddn wrote:Would be interesting to know if modern ATI cards support Cg. Maybe those having "Vertex texture fetch: yes" do so?
It isn't so simple. I don't know if modern ATI cards support Cg but for a while we presume that answer is yes in binary driver fglrx. ATI released documentation for almost all their cards and for rest of remaining they are planning to do. But after some time, they simply throw away support for this cards and only open source ATI drivers will be available. Therefore answer to this question should be for both drivers - open source and binary.

kroddn
Static Linker

#5 Post by kroddn »

One after another - first it should be clear IF modern ATI cards support Cg - if answer to this is no, then many people will not be able to use FreeOrion at all.

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#6 Post by tzlaine »

AFAICT, Cg is hardware-agnostic. Almost all of the Ogre demos use Cg, and it seems hard to imagine that they would use that if only NVidia cards could run the demos.

francys
Space Squid

#7 Post by francys »

tzlaine wrote:AFAICT, Cg is hardware-agnostic. Almost all of the Ogre demos use Cg, and it seems hard to imagine that they would use that if only NVidia cards could run the demos.
I agree. I have an ATI card, get the same segfault when running FO, and have successfully compiled Ogre with Cg and all Ogre demos work fine!

kroddn
Static Linker

#8 Post by kroddn »

Are you sure that ogre demos even make usage of this plugin?

OndrejR
Space Dragon

#9 Post by OndrejR »

Problem may be not in plugin, but in bad usage of it. But it is hard to say without modern ATI graphic card. We need someone with modern ATI graphic card(which supports vertex texture fetch) to test FreeOrion on Windows and Linux.

But problem with segfault was already before revision 2883 after which FO requires this plugin. Therefore discussion about segfault on ATI is going wrong way. We need to test revision 2882(or 2807=FO 0.3.12)

Code: Select all

svn update -r 2882
and try to find why it segfaults. But for this we need Ogre programmer with modern ATI graphic card. To test it we need FreeOrion release with revision before revision 2883 to minimize problems with Cg Toolkit.

kroddn
Static Linker

#10 Post by kroddn »

I'll compile a debug version of OGRE to debug the problem in detail. For now, I only know that it crashes when executing OgreGUI::Enter2DMode() in HumanClientApp::Enter2DMode() - the debugger was not able to debug into the ogre code.

OndrejR
Space Dragon

#11 Post by OndrejR »

Francys in his thread patches Ogre with some specific ATI patch which he linked.