Is a portable version of FreeOrion in the works?

Discussion about the project in general, organization, website, or any other details that aren't directly about the game.
roystonlodge
Space Krill

Is a portable version of FreeOrion in the works?

#1 Post by roystonlodge »

I just came across this site and am pretty happy!

Are you guys working on creating a portable version of FreeOrion that can be stored on a USB key or on a computer where the user does not have administrator privileges?

I've been playing a copy of Master of Orion I via DOSBOX that I keep on a USB key. The benefits are that I can play the game regardless of what computer I'm using, and I can also continue the same saved games regardless of whether I'm on a Windows, Linux, or OS X computer. It's pretty sweet, but Master of Orion 1 is getting long-in-the-tooth and FreeOrion would be a great leap forward.

If you guys could put a portable version of the game on your to-do list, that would be GREAT! You could also consider using the format available over at http://www.portableapps.com, though it's not really necessary.

Thanks in advance!

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Is a portable version of FreeOrion in the works?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

At least on Windows, FreeOrion should probably already be runnable from portable media. As far as I know, the installer doesn't edit any registry keys or do anything besides put the game data and executables in the specified directory, and make a few start menu and desktop shortcuts.

The only hiccup I anticipate is that user config settings from within the program would be stored on the PC, not on the portable media. This would mean that you'd have to re-set your in-game font size and galaxy setup preferences on each new PC, but this wouldn't prevent the game from running and providing access the the in-game options menu.

If the portable media is writable, save files could be written to it and loaded from it using the existing in-game dialogs.

roystonlodge
Space Krill

#3 Post by roystonlodge »

Thanks!

I'll try installing it on a USB key.

I definitely can't install it on a Windows PC where I don't have administrator privileges, so a standalone .exe or a portableapp.com installer would still be a great idea for the future.

(If I can get it to run from a USB key, maybe I'll get off my ass and try to create a portableapp installer myself. Probably not. I'm very lazy. ;-)

Also, is there a way to play the same saved games from both a Windows install and a Linux install? Are the saved-game files cross-compatible?

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

roystonlodge wrote:I definitely can't install it on a Windows PC where I don't have administrator privileges, so a standalone .exe or a portableapp.com installer would still be a great idea for the future.
FreeOrion has hundreds of data files that go with the three .exe files (human client, server, AI client) so "a standalone .exe" isn't feasible.
Also, is there a way to play the same saved games from both a Windows install and a Linux install? Are the saved-game files cross-compatible?
As far as I know they should be. People post saves illustrating bugs regularly from either OS.

kroddn
Static Linker

#5 Post by kroddn »

roystonlodge wrote:I'll try installing it on a USB key.

I definitely can't install it on a Windows PC where I don't have administrator privileges, so a standalone .exe or a portableapp.com installer would still be a great idea for the future.
Why aren't you able to install it without admin privs? Did you test that? It that's the point, the installer should be reviewed, as I don't see any need to install FreeOrion as an admin on windows.

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

kroddn wrote:Why aren't you able to install it without admin privs? Did you test that? It that's the point, the installer should be reviewed, as I don't see any need to install FreeOrion as an admin on windows.
Writing in Program Files or modifying the start menu probably require admin rights.

Mark
Space Krill

#7 Post by Mark »

I'm glad I found this thread.

Maybe the important info should be stickied---students, for example, may like run their own software in a school computer lab.

I assume for Linux-derivative systems I simply need to have the appropriate package installed on my USB stick.

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Mark wrote:I'm glad I found this thread.

Maybe the important info should be stickied---students, for example, may like run their own software in a school computer lab.
It might be good to add some relevant information to the Wiki about this. Feel free to create a new page about it, or add something to an existing page, or make a temporary work page to create content if you want to add to a page that's currently edit protected.