Can't build ships or research tech after multiple turns

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

agorski
Krill Swarm

Can't build ships or research tech after multiple turns

#1 Post by agorski »

I'm running the latest version on Mac OS 10.5.7.

On systems with shipyards and orbital docks, after a number of turns of play, it becomes impossible to add new ships to the queue.

Possibly related, sometimes it also becomes impossible to enqueue new research. Sometimes, changing the view options, like hiding completed techs clears this one up.

Both problems are fixed immediately by saving, exiting, and relaunching the game.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Can't build ships or research tech after multiple turns

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

The production problem is probably this: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2757

For research, can you explain a bit more? How are you trying to enqueue techs and in what way does it fail? What sequence of clicks or screens is required to have this happen, or what needs to be on the queue or otherwise happening for the problem to occur?

agorski
Krill Swarm

#3 Post by agorski »

Geoff the Medio wrote:The production problem is probably this: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=2757
Yes, that sounds like the same problem.
Geoff the Medio wrote: For research, can you explain a bit more? How are you trying to enqueue techs and in what way does it fail? What sequence of clicks or screens is required to have this happen, or what needs to be on the queue or otherwise happening for the problem to occur?
Usually, when the sitrep tells me I've successfully researched a tech, I click on it in the sitrep and go to the Research screen. Then I click on the researched tech to see what new techs are available to be researched. I select one, confirm that I have all the prerequisites, and then double click on it. Nothing happens, the Queued balloon doesn't appear on the tech and it doesn't get added to the queue. Can't remember, but it probably doesn't make the sound when double-clicking, either. Taking new turns, switching to other screens, etc. doesn't fix it. No new techs can be queued until a restart.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

agorski wrote:Usually, when the sitrep tells me I've successfully researched a tech, I click on it in the sitrep and go to the Research screen. Then I click on the researched tech to see what new techs are available to be researched. I select one, confirm that I have all the prerequisites, and then double click on it. Nothing happens, the Queued balloon doesn't appear on the tech and it doesn't get added to the queue. Can't remember, but it probably doesn't make the sound when double-clicking, either. Taking new turns, switching to other screens, etc. doesn't fix it. No new techs can be queued until a restart.
Does this always happen after clicking a sitrep link, or just sometimes?

Might it be related to what the tech filters were the last time you were on the research screen? For example, maybe if you research and click a link for a growth category tech but you had the growth category hidden previously? Or applications / theories / refinements?

Or maybe it's related to having the research screen open on a previous turn when clicked the turn button?

See if you can figure out the specific situation that causes this... I haven't seen it myself and don't recall any similar problems being reported.

agorski
Krill Swarm

#5 Post by agorski »

Does this always happen after clicking a sitrep link, or just sometimes?
Sometimes. After playing for a number of turns.
Might it be related to what the tech filters were the last time you were on the research screen? For example, maybe if you research and click a link for a growth category tech but you had the growth category hidden previously? Or applications / theories / refinements?
I never hide any category. Only 'completed' and 'unresearchable'.
Or maybe it's related to having the research screen open on a previous turn when clicked the turn button?
I do sometimes. I'll try to remember what I did before it breaks.

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

agorski wrote:I never hide any category. Only 'completed' and 'unresearchable'.
The same suggestion / question applies to any of the tech filters. Clicking a link to a tech hidden by the filters could be causing a problem. Please check.

kroddn
Static Linker

#7 Post by kroddn »

Could it be the same problem as described in that other thread?

Means: if you activate a undiscovered star and then open the research screen, the enqueueing is not possible any more?

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

kroddn wrote:Could it be the same problem as described in that other thread?

Means: if you activate a undiscovered star and then open the research screen, the enqueueing is not possible any more?
Unlikely. Research doesn't have anything in it that depends on the selected system and as far as I know there's nothing on the research screen that would disable enqueuing techs for sidepanel-dependent reasons.