Building Icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Building Icons

#46 Post by pd »

when making these icons, bear in mind that a lot of the current buildings may end up not being included in the game as more content is added/removed.
If this is the case, we should put icon creation on hold. I don't see, why we should waste resources on this, if a lot of it won't be used.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#47 Post by Bigjoe5 »

pd wrote:
when making these icons, bear in mind that a lot of the current buildings may end up not being included in the game as more content is added/removed.
If this is the case, we should put icon creation on hold. I don't see, why we should waste resources on this, if a lot of it won't be used.
I'm not absolutely certain that this is the case, but this is the impression that I get from Geoff's posts. The same applies to techs as well, as most of the content is preliminary content for the sake of having content, so many of the techs and buildings will be reworked and some eliminated. This is by no means an indication that mostbuildings and techs will be removed or replaced, but if you feel that the risks outweigh the benefits, it would probably be wise for people who are focusing on building icons currently to work on, say, ship models instead.

On the other hand, if the people who are currently making building models don't have the interest/skills for modelling ships, and would not currently be contributing at all if we weren't accepting building icon contributions, there are no resources being wasted here, since the resources would not be used at all otherwise, and we are bound to use some of the icons that are being made.

Everyone involved with this project realizes that if they make a content submission, there is no guarantee that it will be eventually used. We are primarily here to exercise our artistic and creative talent in a low-pressure learning environment. The fact that it may end up supporting this project is an added bonus. Unless a total remake of the buildings list is planned, I think it's reasonable to continue encouraging submissions for building icons.

Edit: Planetary ring looks better, but the green outline on the ring itself is a bit overpowering, IMO. Perhaps some other colours could be used to bring out details in the ring, or the outline could just be toned down a bit, if that would clash too much.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#48 Post by pd »

I realize that game content is far from finished and will go through major adjustments. But I think those changes are mostly related to changing numbers. The abstract concepts, which those icons represent, are going to stay in game I hope. Otherwise, what appeal is there for new people? I guess I'm just bothered by the phrase "a lot of buildings may not ...". I mean, there should be some effort to keep buildings in game, if people have put in precious time to create icons for them.

Personally, I do consider creating those icons a low priority. Maybe the Graphics Work page should reflect this. Other things, like the information overlays deserve some attention. Also the production and tech screen UI's could be improved. Those things have direct consequences for how the game is played.

Redcap
Graphics

#49 Post by Redcap »

Edit: pd posted the same time as me, and rendered what I was to say pointless. :)

GlasShadow
Space Floater

#50 Post by GlasShadow »

have no idea what this is, but it looked cool, lol

bioterror

might add a base to it, but the effect rocks

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#51 Post by Bigjoe5 »

That first one looks like it might be used as a stargate. That metal frame looks a bit... fragile, though.

Bioterror looks great, but unfortunately it's one of those interrim buildings that will probably be removed. It's most likely that spies will be used for bioterror, instead of that building. Right now, it exists so that there will be some way of projecting bioterror before spies are implemented.

MrV
Space Floater

#52 Post by MrV »

With a lot of great contributions so far, I take it we'll be using 3D-models for buildings throughout? If so, I just need to know from the Blender-versed people if there's any point in me making models and tossing in, without textures or lights? I've had to learn to use Blender for simple models lately, and I do have some ideas for buildings, but texturing is still way beyond me.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#53 Post by pd »

MrV wrote:With a lot of great contributions so far, I take it we'll be using 3D-models for buildings throughout?
No. What matters is creating good icons. How people go about creating them, I don't care. My personal preference is to not use 3D, because you can easily get caught up in the wrong things and neglect logo(icon) design issues. I also tend towards a symbolic approach whenever possible. However, it's important not to get too abstract either. IMO for those icons, it's best to not use elements that are obviously build (by man).
... any point in me making models and tossing in, without textures or lights?
Probably not very useful.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#54 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Have any of these more recent icons been committed? Genome Bank (red base) in particular looks very good in-game, and I can't really see that particular building being removed...

Depending on how espionage works, it might be feasible to have different icons for different mission types, so the player can tell at a glance what his spies are doing on a given planet. If that were to be the case, it would be a good idea to hang on to that bioterror icon as well. Of course that might not be useful/feasible, so we'll have to wait and see...

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#55 Post by pd »

Bigjoe5 wrote:Have any of these more recent icons been committed? Genome Bank (red base) in particular looks very good in-game, and I can't really see that particular building being removed...
I haven't committed anything, because I didn't think think they're quite there yet. I've reworked Genome Bank,though and have committed this one just a couple minutes ago.

notes:
* in the original icon, the focus seemed to be on the base, not on the helix
* the green halo has been removed mostly, improving readability
* tweaked some colors, perspective and silhouette

I believe the approach of using a base together with a symbolic representation on top could work very well for all kinds of buildings.

GlasShadow
Space Floater

#56 Post by GlasShadow »

kool like what u've done to it i mainly put the glow on some of these because im playing with some of the effects and video post stuff right now.

ive been working on a space ship ill post in a few days but ive been busy with a big flash project this week at college.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#57 Post by pd »

Could you check your pm's, please?

GlasShadow
Space Floater

#58 Post by GlasShadow »

just an idea i had for the interstellar lighthouse

The Silent One
Graphics

#59 Post by The Silent One »

Good start and nice work on the beam, but it has too much detail. The borders of the lighthouse need to be clearer at small size.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#60 Post by Bigjoe5 »

If anything, the outside should be solid and the innermost are could be more ethereal. Perhaps it could look like there are beams coming from the outside rim and being focused by some sort of lens in the middle to form the huge beam?