compilation on mac

Questions, problems and discussion about compiling FreeOrion.

Moderator: Oberlus

planetbaker
Space Floater

compilation on mac

#1 Post by planetbaker »

Compiling the SDK version from 7 March works fine on my OSX (with a lot of deprecation warnings wrt boost, but that's not a big issue).

After that I run svn up and I get errors about undefined templates - which is probably some kind issue related to boost (I use 1.40).

Any advise as of how to solve this or what way to go / try?

EDIT: seems that r3552 introduced the first error (and thus all others follow from it)
Attachments
freeorion_compilefailure.txt
compile log
(20.45 KiB) Downloaded 208 times
Unless stated explicitly and differently, any patches or artwork I should post in this forum are licensed under GPL v2 or - at your discretion - any later version of the GPL.

.Id
Space Squid

Re: compilation on mac

#2 Post by .Id »

Can you please try the latest SDK (April 30) ? It includes boost 1.42.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/freeor ... z/download

planetbaker
Space Floater

#3 Post by planetbaker »

Thanks, that version does the trick.

There are a number of linker warnings though, not sure how important they are:
Ld build/Debug/FreeOrion normal i386
cd /Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode
setenv MACOSX_DEPLOYMENT_TARGET 10.4
/Developer/usr/bin/g++-4.0 -arch i386 -isysroot /Developer/SDKs/MacOSX10.4u.sdk -L/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/build/Debug -L/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/lib -L/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/local/lib -L/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/local/lib/graphviz -L"/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/local/lib" -L"/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/local/lib/bullet" -L"/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/lib" -L/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/local/lib -L/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/local/lib -F/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/build/Debug -F/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/Frameworks -F"/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/Frameworks" -filelist /Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/build/FreeOrion.build/Debug/FreeOrionClient.build/Objects-normal/i386/FreeOrion.LinkFileList -mmacosx-version-min=10.4 -lgvc_builtins -framework IOKit -framework Carbon -lboost_filesystem-xgcc40-mt -lboost_python-xgcc40-mt -lboost_serialization-xgcc40-mt -lboost_signals-xgcc40-mt -lboost_system-xgcc40-mt -lboost_thread-xgcc40-mt -lOIS -framework Ogre -lBulletCollision -lBulletDynamics -lLinearMath -lgvplugin_dot_layout -lcdt -lgraph -lpathplan -lFREEALUT -lClientCommon -lIL -lCommon -lGG -lSDLmain -framework OpenAL -framework OpenGL -lILU -llog4cpp -framework SDL -framework Ogg -framework vorbis -ljpeg -lpng -lboost_regex-xgcc40-mt -framework Cocoa -framework AppKit -framework CoreData -framework Foundation -o /Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/build/Debug/FreeOrion

ld: warning: directory '/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/local/lib/graphviz' following -L not found
ld: warning: directory '"/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/local/lib"' following -L not found
ld: warning: directory '"/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/local/lib/bullet"' following -L not found
ld: warning: directory '"/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/lib"' following -L not found
ld: warning: directory '"/Users/ingo/freeorion/sdk-april2010/FreeOrion/Xcode/dep/Frameworks"' following -F not found
Unless stated explicitly and differently, any patches or artwork I should post in this forum are licensed under GPL v2 or - at your discretion - any later version of the GPL.

planetbaker
Space Floater

#4 Post by planetbaker »

More troublesome than warnings is this crash I get:

Program received signal: “EXC_BAD_ACCESS”.
sharedlibrary apply-load-rules all
warning: Could not find object file "/Developer/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin9/4.0.1/libgcc.a(_eprintf.o)" - no debug information available for "/var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5488~2/src/gcc/libgcc2.c".

EDIT TO ADD:
Seems to be reproducable:
- Quickstart a new game
- Send ships one by one to adjacent two systems
- click on "research" in the main menu up right

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

planetbaker wrote:Seems to be reproducable:
- Quickstart a new game
Is the sending ships step necessary to produce the crash?

.Id
Space Squid

#6 Post by .Id »

planetbaker wrote:More troublesome than warnings is this crash I get:

Program received signal: “EXC_BAD_ACCESS”.
sharedlibrary apply-load-rules all
warning: Could not find object file "/Developer/usr/lib/gcc/i686-apple-darwin9/4.0.1/libgcc.a(_eprintf.o)" - no debug information available for "/var/tmp/gcc/gcc-5488~2/src/gcc/libgcc2.c".

EDIT TO ADD:
Seems to be reproducable:
- Quickstart a new game
I'm not able to reproduce this on my system.

Have you tried first deleting your old FreeOrion data in ~/Library/Application\ Support/FreeOrion/ ?

Failing that, are you able to get a stack trace or reproduce it with the prebuilt binary and send a crash report?

planetbaker
Space Floater

#7 Post by planetbaker »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Is the sending ships step necessary to produce the crash?
Just opening the research view on a virgin game is not sufficient; having the ship view open seems to be sufficient, sending any ships is no pre-requisite.
.Id wrote: Have you tried first deleting your old FreeOrion data in ~/Library/Application\ Support/FreeOrion/ ?

Failing that, are you able to get a stack trace or reproduce it with the prebuilt binary and send a crash report?
The same issue persists after I deleted everything in ~/Library/Application\ Support/FreeOrion/ (except the savegames). Attached the crash log from my self-compiled version. Downloading the pre-compiled one.

EDIT to add: the same issue persists with the downloaded version: just click on the ships around the homeworld then click on research and bye bye. Attached the backtrace from that crash, too (crash_314_3.txt)

Here completely off-topic: might it be an idea to de-couple code and graphics in order to minimize download sizes?
Attachments
crash_314_3.txt
backtrace from downloaded 3.14 version
(33.72 KiB) Downloaded 215 times
crash_314_2.txt
crash log
(34.77 KiB) Downloaded 224 times

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Both of your attached files appear to be backtraces, and neither is freeorion.log or freeoriond.log

The crash appears to be happening several functions deep into libGL. Could you make sure your video drivers are fully updated?

What happens if you start a game, open the fleets window by clicking on a fleet icon, close the fleets window by right clicking away from a star, and then opening research? What about the production or design screens?

We used to have separate downloads for data and binaries, but it was and would be more hassle that it's worth. Granted, I'm not on metered internet and it doesn't taken four hours to download, but developers are going to be expected to be able to handle a few hundred MB downloads from time to time...

kroddn
Static Linker

#9 Post by kroddn »

I can reproduce that crash on my linux system using the current sf.net release.

planetbaker
Space Floater

#10 Post by planetbaker »

It seems to happen also in other places. I accidentially dragged a bit on the fleet... and got the attached backtrace and log.

Having closed the ship view it's works to open the research / tech tree view
Attachments
crash_314_4a.txt
system's crash log
(47.55 KiB) Downloaded 219 times
freeorion.log
game log
(11.27 KiB) Downloaded 207 times

planetbaker
Space Floater

#11 Post by planetbaker »

good news:

I compiled the latest svn version (svn r3576) and tested it against the bug reported here. It appears that it is solved. Thanks a buch :-)

kroddn
Static Linker

#12 Post by kroddn »

Same for me on my ATI Notebook.