Building Icons

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: Building Icons

#61 Post by pd »

I think a laser shooting straight up is not ideal for the lighthouse. IMO the focus should be on the very top of the icon, like in a real light house. Maybe some light spreading out to the left and/or right? Also, if you continue with this approach (base and something on top), could you try to match the perspective/angle of Genome Bank and Miniature Sun?

Josh
Graphics

#62 Post by Josh »

Well it's not a literal lighthouse...

However, to me at least, that does look less like a lighthouse and more like something else. Mind you this is very enigmatic idea being fronted here, so don't get discouraged if you don't get interstellar lighthouse nailed perfectly on the first try.

You might want to think of it more as a detection grid though than a literal lighthouse, if that helps.

thawn
Space Krill

#63 Post by thawn »

That lighthouse could be used for some form of planetary defense (once that's implemented in the game).

Looks like a beam ground battery to me :wink:

This also illustrates, that no one should be discouraged by the fact that some buildings might be scratched. I am sure that there will be a place to reuse most icons eventually.

quosa
Space Krill

#64 Post by quosa »

Hallo Friends,

i thought about that megalith-building, and painted this concept; any ideas, is it usefull?
Brainstorming: old, large, simple form, stone, one or more, f.e. aranged in a circle,

Greetings - Quosa

Redcap
Graphics

#65 Post by Redcap »

Trying to get an astroid mining icon and need feedback so I can go the right direction. This is what I have so far...
Attachments
astroid3.png
astroid3.png (8.27 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
astroid2.png
astroid2.png (8.34 KiB) Viewed 4762 times
astroidmining.png
astroidmining.png (206.47 KiB) Viewed 4762 times

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#66 Post by pd »

Nice work. I really like that you're exaggerating the proportions. That's exactly what needs to be done for icons. I also like that there are no actual structures. I've changed some colors and done some minor painting on top of your icon.

Since this is 3D, could you provide some other perspectives? There are some odd right angles in this one. I'm also not too sure about the clustering at the top left, but another angle might look better.
Attachments
astroidmining.png
astroidmining.png (8.91 KiB) Viewed 4756 times
astroidminingbig.png
astroidminingbig.png (196.28 KiB) Viewed 4756 times

Josh
Graphics

#67 Post by Josh »

Well, to me, it looks like a lump of ore that somebody pulled out of the ground with their hand. If you were to tell me this was a building, I would have a hard time believing you.

I can tell you what I might do, and then you can work from there:

I'd definitely add some futuristic looking machinery or buildings on the surface.
I'd seriously consider not having the crystals.
I'd very likely add a big mining shaft so that everybody can clearly see that mining goes on here.
I might add a space freighter in the lower left or right corner.
However, there might not be enough space for all that in such a tiny icon...

Hope it helps redcap.

Oh, and for the megalith thing, It's not a megalith in the traditional sense. Think less stonehenge and more taipei 101.

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#68 Post by pd »

Josh wrote: If you were to tell me this was a building, I would have a hard time believing you.
It's not supposed to be a building. The focus here is more on what we are mining for - the minerals.
I'd definitely add some futuristic looking machinery or buildings on the surface.
That's extremely hard to pull of in a 64x64px icon, which is why I like Redcaps approach.

Nice to see you back, Josh.

Josh
Graphics

#69 Post by Josh »

Oh, I'm always here in spirit pd :P

I like to keep up with the progress of FO every now and again.

Redcap
Graphics

#70 Post by Redcap »

Towards pd: I love how you can take what I thought looked okay and make it look awesome! Those crystals just look wonderful painted.

Regarding the wierd 90 degree angles, I changed the perspective to 5 different layouts, but there are still a lot of wierd angles popping up all over the place. If you see one you like, sweet; if not I can make another when I have more time.

I left the colors the same as the original because of time, but won't feel offended if you beautify any of them like you did with the one above.

Towards Josh: I tried to put technology with it before and I just couldn't make it look symbolic enough at lower resolutions.

And it is good seeing you around, always like hearing oppinions from professionals, it is one of the primary reasons I still try to contribute here and there. Can't get better unless you learn from the best ;)

Images were to big so here is a link to get them.
http://www.unpracticalmath.com/Images/a ... ctives.zip

Redcap
Graphics

#71 Post by Redcap »

I was just playing around and got a pretty decent imperial palace.

Here are the samples at the three different sizes and then the transparent sample.

Can't see it to well but the main structure is based off of Chinese Palaces and the pillars off of a book, "Mystborn" where the king lived in a castle with a thousand spires. (Kind of looks like Disney's Castle :)
Attachments
sample3.png
sample3.png (3.11 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
sample2.png
sample2.png (6.11 KiB) Viewed 4494 times
SAMPLE.png
SAMPLE.png (8.03 KiB) Viewed 4494 times

Redcap
Graphics

#72 Post by Redcap »

Didn't attach the actual image ? Well here it is...
Attachments
ImperialPalace.png
ImperialPalace.png (8.58 KiB) Viewed 4494 times

Cmd. Marko
Space Floater

#73 Post by Cmd. Marko »

Hey there. I've been lurking around here for some time and I must say great progress so far. The building section of this forum caught my eye the most because I'm a architecture student and I've used your list as a base whenever I had the craving to model high-tech, futuristic stuff [buildings]. I don't know if I can become a full time contributor because of my schedule so I'll resume myself in popping in to share my view of a certain item on the buildings list. I worked in SketchUp [with Podium as a renderer] and Photoshop for the final touch-ups. Below is what I came up with for the Imperial Palace [...or Administrative Palace].
Ap - 14.png
Ap - 14.png (3.38 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
Ap - 48.png
Ap - 48.png (8.03 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
Ap - 64.png
Ap - 64.png (11.25 KiB) Viewed 4456 times
@Redcap: Great looking model. Needs more towers ... for that imperial-epic visual.

LE: If anything is used for Free Orion I release my contribution under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 license.

Cmd. Marko
Space Floater

#74 Post by Cmd. Marko »

Hmm... adding a symbol within the design of a building... too scrumptious of a subject to ignore. That's why the next model features the PsiCorpsHQ, which has the Greek letter for "psi" embedded within the design.
PsiHQ - 64.png
PsiHQ - 64.png (10.03 KiB) Viewed 4414 times
PsiHQ - 64 - transparent.png
PsiHQ - 64 - transparent.png (10.2 KiB) Viewed 4414 times
PsiHQ - 48.png
PsiHQ - 48.png (12.58 KiB) Viewed 4414 times

pd
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#75 Post by pd »

Could you provide perspectives similar to those icons?

ImageImage
I'm looking for a lower angle, with the horizon lying somewere in between the structure. This will help with implying the scale. It can still be 3/4.

Also, could you provide higher resolutions(at least double) and without the glow added in?