Colonizing problem?

Problems and solutions for installing or running FreeOrion, including discussion of bugs if needed before posting a bug report on GitHub. For problems building from source, post in Compile.

Moderator: Oberlus

tilus
Space Krill

Colonizing problem?

#1 Post by tilus »

Hi all. I was attempting to colonize multiple planets with my starting colony ship and had no success. The planets I tried were neither gas planets or asteroid belts. I also tried selecting the colony ship by itself instead of selecting the fleet but to no avail... :(

Is there something I am doing wrong? When I select the colony ship the available planet to be colonized no longer says "select colony ship" underneath its description.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: Colonizing problem?

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

From the screenshot, it appears that the planet you're trying to colonize is Barren, and the species of the colony ship is Scylior. For Scylior, Barren planets are hostile, and are generally not colonizable at the start of the game.

FreakNigh
Space Floater

#3 Post by FreakNigh »

Maybe just a little note that says "That ship can not colonize this planet" after you click the ship or "Outposts only" etc.

Zireael
Space Dragon

#4 Post by Zireael »

FreakNigh wrote:Maybe just a little note that says "That ship can not colonize this planet" after you click the ship or "Outposts only" etc.
Seconded.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#5 Post by Bigjoe5 »

FreakNigh wrote:Maybe just a little note that says "That ship can not colonize this planet" after you click the ship or "Outposts only" etc.
It's not "outposts only" The only difference (currently) between colony ships and outpost ships is the amount of population that colonizes the planet. I agree the UI probably needs to be clearer, though.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Dart00_Tech
Space Kraken

#6 Post by Dart00_Tech »

Or maybe showing a "Compatible Species" list or tab on the planet?