MOO1 in Comparison

For topics that do not fit in another sub-forum.

Moderator: Oberlus

FreakNigh
Space Floater

MOO1 in Comparison

#1 Post by FreakNigh »

I just played a few games of Master of Orion 1 and I noticed that it is a full great game still. The only real issue with it was the resolution, simple controls / gui, and poor graphics. However the gameplay was still perfect. Having only 1 planet per star, no ship groupings, simple space combat, simple ground combat, no outposts, simple tech tree... Also it does not have star paths and I noticed they really add nothing except for a need of an algorithm to run through paths, otherwise whats the real gain / lose / difference?

I'm really not comparing it against freeorion, but against MOO2 and MOO3. I do prefer the planet focus idea over their micro'ing of percentage going to each area.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

Re: MOO1 in Comparison

#2 Post by eleazar »

I agree that in a lot of ways MoO1 is the better, purer game. MoO2 and 3 both add some cool new things to the series, but they also add annoying, confusing, and/or pointless things.

I do hate the planet sliders in MoO1 and finding that precise pixel that maximizes production without producing waste.

Also while MoO1's art is low-res and cartoony, i consider it (especially the portrayal of the different species) to be higher quality art. Having more colors, pixels and/or 3D animations, doesn't make up for dull, lifeless art.

Starlanes are IMHO one of the few things from MoO3 worth emulating. It makes position matter a lot more, and give the galaxy strategic bottle-necks.

FreakNigh
Space Floater

#3 Post by FreakNigh »

I definitely agree with bottle necks, but is it currently working that way? are passing ships forced to stop at every spot along a path?

Man I'm addicted to MOO1 atm though lol. But it's easy, max pop, max factory, then make a dedicated research and ship builder planet and expand and conquer... use BC reserves to help new planets build factories super fast and use pop transports to instantly get their pop to full.

I agree that MOO1 graphics are classic and therefor good, however for real there are some patches that are terrible (like if you view the map screen and look at the background purple smoke of the galaxy).

I suppose I was pondering the idea of a real time remake of just MOO1 and maybe only the simpler elements of the game... Use it as a project to learn how to cross platform code to PC/android/ios all with one codebase. but the graphics actually aren't worth it.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by eleazar »

FreakNigh wrote:I definitely agree with bottle necks, but is it currently working that way? are passing ships forced to stop at every spot along a path?
Good point, it doesn't work currently. I filed a report.