Request: Planetary Background Scenes

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

Request: Planetary Background Scenes

#1 Post by Zanzibar »

Here are a few bare-bones "concept" scenes I have rendered for your review/modification using POV-ray. Also included are the source files, so you can modify them appropriately (and output them in png format and the proper resolution/size).

POV source code

POV source code

Used random rotation for the height field that generates the terrain, so the ground appears different for the different scenes. Again, feel free to modify and tweak for your needs.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#2 Post by Zanzibar »

POV-ray source code

This is a height field with some trees and grass. Don't ask me to render it with water or a galaxy right now, as it already takes forever to render even on my AMD Athlon 1700+ (well, maybe if I made test_render true... but that's not as good looking)... Just givin' you guys some more stuff to play with in POV-ray ;)

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#3 Post by Zanzibar »

POV Source code

POV Source code

Re-render of first picture with terrain from 3rd picture. 2nd pic is a re-render using the night sky from the 2nd pic.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#4 Post by Zanzibar »

POV source code

Re-render of night scene with 2 moons. Of course, some of the spiffy planetery maps or what not could be applied to the moons for an even "cooler" look... however, I don't have access to them. And yes, I know... the moons are in front of the clouds :(... if someone could fix that, that would totally rock ;) Also, making the moons appear in different phases would rule... but I think that's beyond my abilities...

Moriarty
Dyson Forest
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

#5 Post by Moriarty »

Nice. But generally (and i'm just being picky here :) ), star-light isn't bright enough to be reflected from water.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#6 Post by Zanzibar »

Well, if the stars are as close and as bright as the ones in the picture... it would be reflected in the water!! Remember, this is an alien world... ;)
Anyhow... I think I've pretty much reached the limit of what I'm capable of doing with POV-ray. If someone else wants to take over for me, that would rock. Don't be afraid to play around with what I have done. Also, for other environment types... you just change the color of the sky, or the ground liquid, or possibly the texture over the terrain. Add some plants, or even delete the terrain all together (for an ocean world)... there are quite a lot of resources that you can use on the main pov-ray website. Oh, also to get the star/galaxy background to render you will need Chris Colfax's galaxy include file, found here.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#7 Post by Zanzibar »

POV source code

A re-render of the day scene with a green sky and red lava... see what did I tell you?? Anything is possible... Could probably use some of the 3.5 media and atmospheric effects to make the lava steam... (I don't know how to do that...)

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#8 Post by utilae »

This stuff is way cool!!! :D

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#9 Post by Zanzibar »

utilae wrote:This stuff is way cool!!! :D
Have you tried playing around with my source code yet?? it's even cooler when you do!! ;)

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#10 Post by Zanzibar »

here is a website for digital asteroid models for pov-ray that might also be able to be used as moons... (or maybe you need some cool pre-rendered asteroids... also wouldn't be too tough to make a spinning 3d pre-rendered animation...).

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#11 Post by Zanzibar »

I think this thread needs a sticky... could the forum moderator please sticky this?? thanx!! :)

That Guy
Dyson Forest

#12 Post by That Guy »

I can make things like that in 3d studio, all I need to do is applt a noise modifier, and find nice textures. I already have a great looking Mars planet scene, with a great night sky.

If you guy want, I could make a sample.
"The one perfect impossibility is perfection."

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#13 Post by utilae »

Yeah, why not.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#14 Post by Zanzibar »

That works... the more scenes we have, the more variety we get to have in the final release!! :)

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#15 Post by Extremepumpkin »

Here's my example (Done in Bryce, touched up in PS7):
Image[/img]
Only after 14 hours of work, will you realize you can do it in 2.