Symbiosis Race Group suggestion

Species suggestions, story ideas and contributions.
Soumaxeridis
Space Krill

Symbiosis Race Group suggestion

#1 Post by Soumaxeridis »

I was thinking of a new race group that is based on two organisms that are unimportant while being apart, but when they live together (symbiosis) they become intelligent.

I'm not really much of a thinker to sit and make complete races, but I'm sure many of you guys that like the idea can do it ;)

For example, a virus that affects only a specific species, and when it does, it contaminates the brain and it makes it work at 100% of it's capacity. This way it becomes intelligent. Without it it's just an animal.

Other combinations are possible too.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#2 Post by Zanzibar »

We sorta already have a symbiotic race... the Eaxaw!! Without the males, they can't produce ships and stuff... without the females, they can't do any research...

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by Impaler »

A true symbiosis is between 2 geniticaly different creatures that are completly different species seperated by millions of years of evolution, such as between a Fish and a Crab or an Aligator and a Bird.

I was thinking of a Symbiotic race some time ago but desided to split them up, The Nairb are one half and the other may not ever be fully developed. Perhaps I will start on a second one later. I am thinking along the lines that one creature is the "brain" and the other the "Body" they cooperate because of their mutual interdependace and they share different senses much like Man and Dog.

Man and Dog and an excelent exampple of Symbiotic relationship. They complement each other excelently. Both have incredible Endurace (Men and Dogs can run down any animal on Earth), they have complementary sensee (the dogs smell and hear great, the humans have the best all around color vision of any creature on Earth). Dogs have high top speed and Humans have huge Brains and manipulative hands. Both are creature naturaly live in Packs and are highly social thus alowing them to bond well. I am thinking of something along these lines but ofcorse with Aline Creatures and the dependency has become almost total after a considerable evolution.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#4 Post by Zanzibar »

This is almost the interaction between male and female Eaxaw.

Colonel E
Space Krill

#5 Post by Colonel E »

One idea for this is to have an intellegent plant species, each individual controlling a hive of bee-like insectoids through chemical means. The insectoids do all the work but only the plant really knows what's going on.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#6 Post by utilae »

Impaler wrote: Men and Dogs can run down any animal on Earth
Isn't the Cheetah the fastest land mammal, faster then a human and a dog anyway. And can a man or a dog outrun the fastest bird or the fastest fish. :)

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#7 Post by Tyreth »

Outrun a fish? :shock: Swimming would be hard enough.

There are a fair few animals faster than humans, iirc.

Nightfish
FreeOrion Designer / Space Monster

#8 Post by Nightfish »

The Cheetahwhile fast, has only little endurance. He doesn't really need the endurance if he can reach and kill you in a few seconds, does he? Doesn't really help you if you could have run for another 6 hours if the cheetah ate you after 10 seconds of the race...

In terms of speed humans are slower than a lot of animals and in terms of endurance they are worse than a lot of animals, too.

EntropyAvatar
Space Kraken

#9 Post by EntropyAvatar »

Nightfish wrote:In terms of speed humans are slower than a lot of animals and in terms of endurance they are worse than a lot of animals, too.
It is true though that a fit human can run a lot of animals into the ground. You can hunt most grazing animals by just chasing them until they fall over from exhaustion.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by Krikkitone »

actually grazing animals have fairly good endurance... although some carnivores like dogs are better, I think that man is only better when he is on horseback.

Impaler
Creative Contributor

#11 Post by Impaler »

No Man has incredibly high endurace, as Entropy Avatar correctly states a human (a fit one) can simply out endurace any land animal on Earth with a few minor exceptions like Horses. Trust me I know what I am talking about. Fish and Birds obvisuly don't count Utilae :roll: (but the fact we CAN swim incredibly well for a land animal is yet another amazing adaptations we take for granted).

Many people are led to belive that Humans only remarkable atributes are are brains and Hands and that in ALL other ways we are inferior to the physical capabilites of wild animals, this is FAR from true as Humans have a number of extreamly advanced physical adaptations that are equily impressive. Take Sweat Glands for example, they provide excelent cooling which supports our Endurace and preventing the Brain from overheating. The Downside is ofcorse that we loss moisture faster then other animals.
Fear is the Mind Killer - Frank Herbert -Dune

trioted
Space Krill

#12 Post by trioted »

this race is composed of many species of rings.
each ring has a function(foot, eyes, nose, arms, pioson glands, etc...)
the rings are stacked up on top of each other.
any ring may leave the stack at any time.
they are capable of setting up and controling, comlicated biochemical reactions to produce new chemicals which can be used in further reactions.

this race gets a minus to combat ( cordination dificulties) and a major plus to biotech research.

the rings have limited inteligence on there own, it is only when a stak is about 10-15 rings that it equals the iq of a human.

legal note this race is the work of some famous scifi writer( dont know the name he tends to write on book stories)

Ablaze
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by Ablaze »

That is from The uplift saga by David Brin. One of my favorute series, and the only series on my list of favorites that isn't hard sci-fi.
Time flies like the wind, fruit flies like bananas.

trioted
Space Krill

#14 Post by trioted »

thanks i loved those books just couldnt remember what they were called