Request: Planetary Background Scenes

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#16 Post by Zanzibar »

Nice ;) Now... can you do night scenes? ;) Also, if you'd be cool and froody to include your source code for the render... maybe someone else that has the programs that you used could improve on it?? (it's why I believe in using pov-ray... it's freeware, and easily obtainable). :) Cheers!

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#17 Post by Extremepumpkin »

WHo you talking to me? If so

Yes i can make night scenes

and

Yes i can provide the source files, not much good without bryce, I'll see what conversion options it has.
Only after 14 hours of work, will you realize you can do it in 2.

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#18 Post by Extremepumpkin »

Well, i can export the meshes of the various objects, as for the sky, thats native format only.

Making a night version of the previous planet, will be in my next post.

Ciao.

EP.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#19 Post by utilae »

@ExP

Thats pretty damn cool.

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#20 Post by Extremepumpkin »

Thanks. If you want me to make the other ones lemme know what kinds you need, times of days, size/number of sattilites (moons) and I'll do my best to make em all.

The night image is taking longer then expected. its got a very detailed atmosphere and is only 41% complete Rendering.. I'm off for the evening in 20ish minutes. I'll post it then if its done.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#21 Post by Zanzibar »

Fear... it takes less then 30 seconds to render my night scenes in pov-ray... :o (and I probably could add some fog for more atmosphere... still take about the same time to render...). I'd just like to see how someone moves the spheres/moons in that last night scene I did behind the cloud layer...

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#22 Post by Extremepumpkin »

Here's the night version of my first scene. I'm rendering these at 1024x768 then scailing them down. (yes I still have the huge monster BMPs)

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#23 Post by Zanzibar »

Not bad!! Nice moon shot... think you could do 2 or more moons?? Maybe even a moon with a ring... now that would be sweet!! Also... where are the stars?? You should have stars at night... ;)

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#24 Post by Extremepumpkin »

eh, not if the atmoshphere is thick enough, but if you want stars you'll get em.

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#25 Post by Zanzibar »

ok, just tryin' to offer some constructive criticism to help make the art for this game the best it can be!! Just keep in mind, we are lookin' for "alien" designs here... :)

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#26 Post by Extremepumpkin »

I just was reading, You assume, because you can render faster it is better?

It just doesnt make sence to me, I use Maya and SoftImage at work, not because they're fast, but because they're good. hell, I'd be out of a job if Maya was as fast as Pov-ray... They'd hire some Highschool kid part time, and dump me faster then anything.

Oh, for the record, my personal copy of SoftImage is "on its way" so i should have it soon. anyone for FMVs?

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#27 Post by Zanzibar »

Faster ain't necessarily better... but hey... I don't have much patience to see how my final image looks... if I could render in real-time and manipulate objects in a scene just by point and click, that would be my best dream!! :)

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#28 Post by Extremepumpkin »

Anywho, here's a night scene with stars, touched up with PS7, moon was provided via another thread and um, its simple, because im in a hurry and didnt do that great a job fixing up/rendering.

Ciao

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#29 Post by Zanzibar »

I think the first night shot was definitely better. Ahh well... I'll see what I can pull out my tail end tomorrow and submit a few more night scenes with POV-ray if anyone's interested in messin' around with it ;)

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#30 Post by Extremepumpkin »

i'd like to mention, that my copy of Vue D'espirit 4 Professional has been ordered and hasnt been shipped yet, it makes Bryce and PovRay look well.. cruddy in comparison. When it does arrive, I'll do a demonstration of the same scene in the different renderers.

Also. Vue can export in all popular formats.

So, stay tuned!