BackgroundMusic

Samples of sound/music, ideas or suggestions related to the development of audio assets for FreeOrion.
MrMusicalLion
Space Krill

BackgroundMusic

#1 Post by MrMusicalLion »

This is a piece which I made a while back. It's called 'Rebirth'.

See what you make of it, it is free to download and use.

I might make some music specifically for FO if I feel like it, sometime. It'd be nice to have some very atmospheric loops to go with it.

http://www.newgrounds.com/audio/listen/428094

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Re: BackgroundMusic

#2 Post by Geoff the Medio »

FreeOrion requires a license compatible with the CC-BY-SA 3.0, while that page says the licence is CC-BY-NC-SA 3.0, which is not compatible.

MrMusicalLion
Space Krill

#3 Post by MrMusicalLion »

Is FreeOrion a commercial project?
Because otherwise it shouldn't matter.

'Noncommercial:
You may not use this work for commercial purposes unless you make specific arrangements with the artist.'

Anyways there seems to be no way for me to change the license because that is what that site sets as default. If there is a way I'll send a message from that account granting permission for it to be used.

Geoff the Medio

#4 Post by Geoff the Medio »

There are various arguments I don't remember about why NC and ND clauses are bad, but in practice, all FreeOrion creative content is released under the same license. We're not going to have some content files under one license and some under another.

It's not necessary to make a download page that lists the license for you automatically; if you post the files to this forum and state that you're releasing them under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license, that's sufficient.

MrMusicalLion
Space Krill

#5 Post by MrMusicalLion »

Ah okay. Makes sense to me, if it helps avoid complications.

Here's a .ogg of 'Rebirth', which I'm releasing under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/a7kvb8t8s6xn3vd/Rebirth.ogg

Hopefully that will be sufficient.

Note:I'm also curious, is there going to be a way to play different music at different parts of the game? Right now, from what I can see, you can load one track and that one track plays throughout the entire game.

Geoff the Medio

#6 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MrMusicalLion wrote:...is there going to be a way to play different music at different parts of the game?
At the least, there is expected to be separate battle musics, whenever a functional battle interface is working. More than one map-screen background track would also be good, and perhaps a different title screen theme from the map screen track. It's also been suggested to have themes for each species.

MrMusicalLion
Space Krill

#7 Post by MrMusicalLion »

Hmm. How interesting. I like the idea of species specific music.. that would be a nice touch.

I'll post any further tracks here, if I get around to it.

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

MrMusicalLion wrote:Here's a .ogg of 'Rebirth', which I'm releasing under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.
Reminds me the Bramble Blast music from DKC2. I feel like it'd sound a good deal better if you could replace the string instrument(s) with something else... mellower maybe? Midi strings instruments never come out well, IMO... The high pitch beeping from 1:05 to 1:40 and again after 1:45 is annoying. Some nice sounds; around 0:42 to to 1:05 is particularly nice, IMO.

MrMusicalLion
Space Krill

#9 Post by MrMusicalLion »

If I can dig up the project file from my old hard drive, I'll tinker around with it a bit. I agree Midi instruments don't tend to come out too well but for this piece the strings were intended to sound that way to evoke a more artificial ambiance.

Lol I could probably whack a tonne of reverb on the whole thing and it'd come out mellower. I'll see what I can come up with. Thanks for the feedback.

guiguibaah
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by guiguibaah »

Just out of curiosity, what sampler are you using? I'd love to get back into the field of composing music, but Gigastudio compatibility was dropped when Win 7 came out - and my old XP machine that I used for Gigastudio blew its power supply (still trying to repair it).

Great to see how far the project is coming along - it really has that professional feel to it!
There are three kinds of people in this world - those who can count, and those who can't.