Request: Planetary Background Scenes

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#46 Post by Zanzibar »

POV-Ray source code

Got the moons properly positioned behind the clouds. Moved the lights so the moons shadowed better. Added some ground fog. Changed the water to look more lava-like. I still would like some steam coming off the "lava". If anyone knows how to do that in pov-ray... feel free to play around ;) I'm intentionally leaving these scenes blank in case we later decide to do buildings moo2-style. This way, the buildings can be "layered" over if needed... or well, whatever is required ;)

Odi
Space Floater

#47 Post by Odi »

@ Mateo1041:
hey, terragen is really nice... and with the upcoming add's (multi-layer for clouds&water)... :) Ok, like Mateo I can contribute all kind of images (in a few months even more complex-ones with waterfalls, rivers, real 3d-objects) :)

zaba zaba zud zud

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#48 Post by tzlaine »

Those are fantastic! Keep 'em coming!

miu
Graphics Lead Emeritus

nice

#49 Post by miu »

Yeah, good work, Terragen roks. I've used it to do groundmaps in 3dsmax, you can export heightmap as bmp with plugin and then using it as displacement map. Only thing it cant do are the organical stuff, plants, trees etc. And it's very easy to use :)

And welcome to FreeOrion and Graphics Team from my side =)
Difference between a man and a gentleman is that a man does what he wants, a gentleman does what he should. - Albert Camus

Odi
Space Floater

#50 Post by Odi »

thx, but it is'nt that hard to render such nice images, thanks to terragen ;) Well, yes, real 3d-objects are still far away... but they are/will working/work on those things:

October/November 2003
- Begin to add features from Terragen Mac (realtime 3D preview, mainly) to the Windows version. Details: http://www.planetside.co.uk/terragen/fu ... #3dpreview [multi-layer, multi-layer... *drools*]

August 2003 to middle of 2004
- General object and vegetation rendering via 3D models, 2D cards/billboards (autogenerated if necessary), and particles. Detail
- Plant/object population (distribution) tools based loosely on existing surface map system, but with built in texture map support (distribution maps) and control over individual object placement. Detail
- Rocks, stones, pebbles and fields of same. Detail
zaba zaba zud zud

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#51 Post by iamrobk »

I personally don't find the first one appealing, but the second 2 are best summed up like this: :shock:

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#52 Post by Tyreth »

Yep, I think the second one is great too.

Extremepumpkin
Space Kraken

#53 Post by Extremepumpkin »

Whoot. Vue 4 Pro is now on the way! (sent via USPS because I'm a cheap bastard)
Only after 14 hours of work, will you realize you can do it in 2.

Mateo1041
Space Krill

#54 Post by Mateo1041 »

I like the second one, although I think it almost has too much contrast. The one thing that always stood out for me in MOO2 is the variety in each landscape.

And yes, realtime 3D preview looks really nice!

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

#55 Post by utilae »

They are both great. :lol:

Zanzibar
Psionic Snowflake

#56 Post by Zanzibar »

Wow... those terragen images are way cool!! You just need those night-time galaxy background scenes... and well... I think we have a winner!! ;)

Odi
Space Floater

#57 Post by Odi »

well, I hadn't much time recently, but I did at least a few images, although they are no match for the images made by Obiwan :roll: (terragen and my skills are way too limited :) )

zaba zaba zud zud

The Silent One
Graphics

#58 Post by The Silent One »

Very cool, you adopted the terraforming idea... though I think the second picture still needs the final touch (it's subaquatic, right?)

iamrobk
Space Dragon

#59 Post by iamrobk »

The more the better IMO. We can randomize images among planets, and hopefully (if we an get enough) we'll only have to use some ugames up to 3 times per galaxy (if you understand what I mean here).

Obiwan
Graphics Lead Emeritus

#60 Post by Obiwan »

Excellent stuff Odi , this is just what I hoped would happen. Something about terragen worlds thats very interesting.

iamrobk
Your thinking along the same lines as me. I suppose I should post this in brainstorming,but as you guys here are the ones it would effect......well here goes.

Imagine a galaxy where every planet is individual in apperance(as far as is possible)

1. you start a new game -medium galaxy
2. game engine counts 100 planets
3. game looks in the game directory 'Planets' and sees hmmm say - 14 folders
4. these folders contain the 8 or so images needed to represent the different stages of terraforming
5. game then assigns each of the 100 worlds a number 1 thru 14.
6. Go explore the galaxy.

Download or produce more Terraforming Sequence pictures and install them to the Planet folder in their own individually named directory.
The more you have the less likely youll run into it twice as iamrobk said.

Naming your picts like this might help the game keep track of whats assigned to what.

Barren-MyWorld
Ocean-MyWorld
Irradiated-MyWorld etc etc

all this is just suposition and a suggestion for mui, aquatine and the other devs to consider.
But if they go with it or something similar, well theres alot of planets out there so keep them Sequences coming. There'll be a need for quantity as well as quality.
And practice make perfect.

Means the game size would be kept down too, as it would need only a few default seqences to get you started. Make and share the rest.