Been playing a bit of MoO2 lately...

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Been playing a bit of MoO2 lately...

#1 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Recently, I've been finding that with more advanced strategies and battle tactics, defeating 7 opponents on impossible level has become a walk in the park! So I've been trying it with a bit of a twist, i.e. a crappy race:

-1/2 food production
-1 industrial production
-1 research production
poor homeworld

I had several close tries, but I eventually managed to do it. It involved crossing a wormhole and completely taking over the Bulrathi within the first 50 turns, then turning around and wiping out the Alkari, after which I pretty much put most of my efforts into research until I got Plasma Cannon and then just swept through the rest of the galaxy. After researching evolutionary mutation, my score bonus rose to 340% and when I beat the game, I got a nice symmetrical score of 12121 points (OVER 9000!!!!!).

Anyone else do anything interesting with MoO2 lately, or get any good high scores?
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

utilae
Cosmic Dragon

Re: Been playing a bit of MoO2 lately...

#2 Post by utilae »

I one an Impossible game using only one star system (had 5 planets) for the whole game until late game where I started taking there worlds one by one, growing my own empire.

My race was Lithivore, Telepathic. I used Stargates, and Maulers (as eventually their plantary shields made them invincible without these). I'd attack and colonise a planet with my titan army of 5 and a colony ship. I could then get to any colony to defend it thanks to stargates. I'm amazed I beat the game this way =)

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#3 Post by Bigjoe5 »

What I like to do when they have high level shields is teleport in with subspace teleporter and bomb them using transporters (since I still can't get close enough without them). If this is used in conjunction with Time Warp Facilitator, you can retreat on the same turn.

Yeeha
Pupating Mass

#4 Post by Yeeha »

just played a game as repulsive feudal warmonger and i got contact right away with psilon through wormhole and i thought i am being clever and built 3 spyes right away and hoped to steal tech ai had 10% defense from dictatorship and i had no racial bonus to stealing and i thought 10% worse odds than average how bad can it be. I couldnt steal anything. Just to see what are the odds i kept on producing spies and kept loosing them. Does anyone know how spying works? It seems to me that its only effective if theres 30% difference between spying skill, spyes quantity is almost irrelevant.

Krikkitone
Creative Contributor

#5 Post by Krikkitone »

Well a General intersting strategy is going Repulsive Uncreative... it makes you alter your strategy more.

A really fun race I like doing is one with

All Negative picks (except Poor HW)
ALL positive picks that are allowed (ie the ones that don't conflict with a negative pick... except Lucky)

It Requires coorion, but the race is balanced in terms of points used and very interesting...

It doesn't work unless you get at least some good Industry tech, but
1. You get MASSIVE populations (Sub, Tol, Aquatic).. an Swamp and tundra abundant worlds are largely self supporting
2. You rely on 'auto research' (except for your Artifact HW) as well as combat stealing..sies if you are lucky enough to get spies

General Strategies,
use omniscience to find a Rich/Ultra-Rich world to pump population
chase after one of the low level economic booster techs (Factories, etc.)
use an empty Cruiser Hull to use Transdimensional speed, Omniscience and Telepathy to steal some good slave workers.

Use your people to "fill in" anywhere.

Yeeha
Pupating Mass

#6 Post by Yeeha »

I just got super moo2 map generation with impossible difficulty. Its not only because player has VERY good beginning but its very strategical map, almost like human made the map. Once i realised how special this map was i took autosave and saved it at turn 1. Feel free to try this map out if you like as devious spammer gnolam. :)
Edit: This save was done with unofficial patch 1.40.24
Attachments
SAVE9.GAM.zip
most amazing moo2 map generation ever...
(8.53 KiB) Downloaded 483 times

EmP
Space Floater

#7 Post by EmP »

Been playing lately too :) Two days ago, managed to win impossible by allying and outvoting. I had power to bomb everyone but this required fewer clicks :)

Yeeha
Pupating Mass

#8 Post by Yeeha »

I cant belive it, so good start but still that klackon got so powerful so fast, removed the dragon and wiped me out. Its good that i saved game at turn 1, i want to retry :). Maybe i should try to make road of outposts to klackon this time to weaken them before its too late.
Krikkitone wrote:Well a General intersting strategy is going Repulsive Uncreative... it makes you alter your strategy more.

A really fun race I like doing is one with

All Negative picks (except Poor HW)
ALL positive picks that are allowed (ie the ones that don't conflict with a negative pick... except Lucky)
Lately i found quite fun to play with -0.5 bc and repulsive without countering it with fantastic traders or subterran. Money heroes and gem or gold mines mean so much then. Although i would never dare to try impossible difficulty that way... :D

allislove
Space Krill

#9 Post by allislove »

I'm new here... been trying to get moo2 to work on my computers for a while... ubuntu one would not work with wine (some weird error makes it hard to play)... and my netbook would crash with the windows version... so I had to download a Dos-Dosbox version in order to get the game to run. However, I noticed something weird...

Where are my titans? I cant seem to build them. I have done a creative complete research playthrough and even then I cant build titans. They are never in my build options. Am I doing something wrong, or is this some weird bug? Just curious... I couldnt seem to find out anything online anywhere.

Anyways, that bug led me to this game... I look forward to playing it... with you? Anyways, let me know if you have any suggestions (hope I am not just retarded).... thanks.

All is Love

EmP
Space Floater

#10 Post by EmP »

allislove wrote:I'm new here... been trying to get moo2 to work on my computers for a while... ubuntu one would not work with wine (some weird error makes it hard to play)... and my netbook would crash with the windows version... so I had to download a Dos-Dosbox version in order to get the game to run. However, I noticed something weird...

Where are my titans? I cant seem to build them. I have done a creative complete research playthrough and even then I cant build titans. They are never in my build options. Am I doing something wrong, or is this some weird bug? Just curious... I couldnt seem to find out anything online anywhere.

Anyways, that bug led me to this game... I look forward to playing it... with you? Anyways, let me know if you have any suggestions (hope I am not just retarded).... thanks.

All is Love
What version of MoO 2 is in question? Have you tried alt+EINSTEIN cheat? It all sounds like damaged files, did you installed it from original CD or downloaded it?

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#11 Post by Bigjoe5 »

allislove wrote:Where are my titans?
If you design a titan, it should appear in your build queue. If you don't design a titan, then nothing related to titans will appear in your build queue. Have you been designing titans or just researching the tech? Do you have the same problem with Doom Stars? Is tactical combat on or off?

Yeeha
Pupating Mass

#12 Post by Yeeha »

I got another very interesting galaxy generation as uncreative cyborgs. Game at beginning seemed like slow and dull corner game as uncreative didnt give research buildings but actually uncreative gave everything player truly needs. Since homeworld and nearby world has ancient artifacts and player has one very good system this game can reach end researches without defeating enemyes first.
However trading research lab might make game too easy, get it through conquest or espionase :). If anyone is interested here is save at first turn.
Attachments
SAVE8.GAM.zip
(8.33 KiB) Downloaded 403 times