Programmer looking to help!

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

mugsy69
Krill Swarm

Programmer looking to help!

#1 Post by mugsy69 »

I have been programming using C++, Java, and Assembly Language for around 1 year now. I have a bachelor's degree in Mathematics and am currently working towards an Associate in computer programming. The reason I am getting a degree in programming is because I want to program and design computer games. It has been a lifelong dream for me. However, neither my professors nor anyone I know has game programming experience and therefore cannot point me in the right direction. This is the perfect opportunity for me! I want to help program Free Orion and in helping you I would be helping myself. I need some experience and am itching to get involved in programming a game - I don't know if I could program another checkbook balancing program again!! :shock: So to make a short story long :D I would like someone here to help me get started and in return Free Orion will reap the benefits of my hard work and creativity. I am eager to learn and to create.

Jon
[email protected]

P.S.
I am a musician too and would be glad to help in the music department as well, though I am truly interested in the programming aspect.

mugsy69
Krill Swarm

Well...

#2 Post by mugsy69 »

If nobody is willing or simply doesn't have the time to help me get involved, then can somebody at least point me to some files so that I can try to break down the code and see how it is done? Perhaps I can figure it out on my own. Or am I just missing the big picture here?

Thanks,
Jon

tzlaine
Programming Lead Emeritus

#3 Post by tzlaine »

Sorry I didn't respond earlier. I saw your original message, and had every intention of responding, but I got so busy that I forgot to do so.

If you want to contribute, you'll need a Sourceforge username and password, and you'll need to send me just the username.

In the meantime, if you just want to take a look at and build the code, go to the project's Sourceforge page (sourceforge.net/projects/freeorion). Also, from that Sourceforge page, there is a link to the project web site, that has design docs, coding standards, etc.

You should also check out the GG sources and docs (sourceforge.net/projects/gigi).

Documentation for both projects can be built using Doxygen; most of the documentation is pretty good.

If you want to work on a specific area, or have any specific questions, just let me know. Welcome to the project.

mugsy69
Krill Swarm

Fantastic!

#4 Post by mugsy69 »

I knew the picture of the beer would get someone's attention! :D

I'll get to work immediately!!!!!