Recalibrating Population & Production

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Re: Recalibrating Population & Production

#121 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Geoff the Medio wrote:That said, an "auto boost X resource output" button on the main map toolbar could be added. This would work like auto colonize / invade, and would automatically pick a planet to switch to X focus for the player. Would likely solve many of the complaints and requests for planet management tools, would be useful for players (like you?) who change focus to bump up a research output indiscriminately, and shouldn't be too hard to implement.
Since when do we have/want auto-colonize/invade?
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#122 Post by Geoff the Medio »

By "auto" I meant "one click". For the resource outputs, it would be click-to-increment by one planet when the player doesn't care which planet or exactly how much.

eleazar
Design & Graphics Lead Emeritus

#123 Post by eleazar »

At the moment, i'm inclined to kick the can, and just put in "reasonable" values for production boosters without worrying what they add up to. Probably higher than 100, but much less than 1000.

Then i can stop holding up the release, and we can worry about it later.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#124 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:
Vezzra wrote:
Geoff the Medio wrote:...I re-suggest considering using bonuses that aren't population dependent, or that are population dependent but capped at a max value...
As in: increases industry by one tenth of the planets population, but not more than 10 (for example)?
Yes, though probably slightly rephrased. Not sure how best to say it to make clear that the increase is at most 10, rather than the final value of the meter is at most 10.
Interesting idea, but I wonder if implementing this concept might defeat the tech tree providing the pop boosts to a certain degree. What's the point in researching further pop boosting techs once additional pop doesn't result in a boost to the resource meters?

Then we can as well reduce max pop numbers, one of the options eleazar suggested:
eleazar wrote:Return max population significantly below 100
Less complicated.

eleazar

#125 Post by eleazar »

revision 5698

"Adjusting research boosters to approximately reasonable levels. Not playtested. Descriptions should all be accurate."

All boosters are now additive, not multiplied, and the bonuses are generally smaller, and increase in magnitude less as you progress through the tree. To add variety, a couple things don't require research focus to take effect.

qsswin
Pupating Mass

#126 Post by qsswin »

It looks like you removed the bonus for research on depleted ancient ruins...

Sloth
Content Scripter

#127 Post by Sloth »

eleazar wrote:To add variety, a couple things don't require research focus to take effect.
Distributed Thought Computing is really, really powerful now. Giving the normal Research Focus bonus to all your planets could be overpowered.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

eleazar

#128 Post by eleazar »

qsswin wrote:It looks like you removed the bonus for research on depleted ancient ruins...
Sloth wrote:Distributed Thought Computing is really, really powerful now. Giving the normal Research Focus bonus to all your planets could be overpowered.
revision 5699.
"fixed depeleted ruins giving no tech boost, and halved distributed thought's research bonus."

eleazar

#129 Post by eleazar »

revision 5700.
"Tweaking production boosters, and matching descriptions to function."

It was way easier once i stopped trying to achieve multiple mutually exclusive goals. That can be resumed after the next release.

Production values haven't changed much since i ripped out infrastructure, happily, most of the values were more or less reasonable.

The current status is far from ideal, and there are a lot of things i'd like to change, but none of them are simple Subject to playthroughs and bug-finding, i think this is good enough to look at releasing.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#130 Post by Sloth »

eleazar wrote: Production values haven't changed much since i ripped out infrastructure, happily, most of the values were more or less reasonable.
Yes, the only thing that bugged me was the insane Cultural Archives bonus, but you fixed that. Thumbs up!
eleazar wrote:The current status is far from ideal, and there are a lot of things i'd like to change, but none of them are simple Subject to playthroughs and bug-finding, i think this is good enough to look at releasing.
I think most PP and RP costs are too low in general (and could be doubled or something), but maybe that can wait until after the release of 0.4.2.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

eleazar

#131 Post by eleazar »

Sloth wrote:
eleazar wrote:The current status is far from ideal, and there are a lot of things i'd like to change, but none of them are simple Subject to playthroughs and bug-finding, i think this is good enough to look at releasing.
I think most PP and RP costs are too low in general (and could be doubled or something), but maybe that can wait until after the release of 0.4.2.
Without species or special bonuses, industry by my calculations can go up to about +550 for 100 population planets. That's ~50 times what your homeworld produces at the beginning of the game, so i don't think they are too low in total-- the opposite in fact. There are probably too many empire-wide production bonuses (10), and the large number of bonuses with the effect described per population unit makes them seem small.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#132 Post by Geoff the Medio »

eleazar wrote:...i think this is good enough to look at releasing.
Vezzra's expected Monday builds can be RC1 then... So everyone get in your patches before then, and eleazar please review any leftover patches from Sloth or unjashfan and commit the ones you want.
Sloth wrote:I think most PP and RP costs are too low in general (and could be doubled or something), but maybe that can wait until after the release of 0.4.2.
eleazar wrote:...i don't think [industry bonuses] are too low in total-- the opposite in fact. There are probably too many empire-wide production bonuses (10).
Sloth was talking about costs, not bonuses. I think you agree with him?

eleazar

#133 Post by eleazar »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Sloth was talking about costs, not bonuses. I think you agree with him?
Sorry, reading failure. I don't know, recent changes decreased research production. I haven't playtested recent changes yet. I would not be surprised if it was true.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#134 Post by Vezzra »

Geoff the Medio wrote:Vezzra's expected Monday builds can be RC1 then... So everyone get in your patches before then, and eleazar please review any leftover patches from Sloth or unjashfan and commit the ones you want.
Ok, I'll prepare to release my Monday builds as RC1. I'll change the version strings accordingly to 0.4.2, create the 0.4.2 release folder on SF and upload the RC1 releases there. The deadline for patches and commits is Monday 19:00 CET (UTC+1), unless some reasons come up to postpone the release (to squeeze in an important patch etc.). In this case just send me a PM (either eleazar or you) and tell me if I should just delay it until Tuesday, or if I should cancel the RC1 release and make normal test releases instead (in case you want to postpone RC1 long enough that it makes sense to produce another test release in the meantime).

We should also ask Nagilum to produce the RC releases for Linux.

Everyone ok with this "course of action"? :D

eleazar

#135 Post by eleazar »

Sounds good to me.