Intergalactic Planetary Missiles

For what's not in 'Top Priority Game Design'. Post your ideas, visions, suggestions for the game, rules, modifications, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

Karoushi
Space Squid

Intergalactic Planetary Missiles

#1 Post by Karoushi »

Intergalactic Planetary Missiles:

Unlike normal Planetary missiles, these can travel system to system and attack specific targets within an enemy system.

Good for launching before a fleet invasion.
Countermeasures are effective though, such as shields or even possibly anti-missile lasers, as an example.

Missile silos would build them, possibly require a combination of research and production?

Intended for late game advanced tech, could be a tech/strategy/weapon assigned to the turtle AI aggression mode. Tech up, if defenses allow survival until late game ~ launch missiles!

They could use the star lanes, or even (if possible in the code) go directly to their targets outside of any star lanes.

They could also use fuel as a balancing measure, so that they could only travel so far (but incrementally further with more advanced tech).

Comments, Ideas?
Last edited by Karoushi on Sat Feb 16, 2013 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.

Adrian
Space Floater

Re: Intergalactic Planetary Missiles

#2 Post by Adrian »

I can't say much about how they would fit into the game mechanic, though I don't see an inherent problem with the idea. I would make them both expensive and powerful, i.e. rare but worth it when used properly.

Karoushi
Space Squid

#3 Post by Karoushi »

Adrian wrote:I can't say much about how they would fit into the game mechanic, though I don't see an inherent problem with the idea. I would make them both expensive and powerful, i.e. rare but worth it when used properly.
Exactly, that is what I meant by "intended for late game- advanced tech" so basically they would come into play only in the later phases of the game when the majority, or even all, of the tech tree has been researched.

Basically, it would fit into the game mechanics by giving the turtlers out there (which is how I usually play RTS) a viable game strategy in the late game phase, if they survive that long with their defenses.

Used on their own, however, would require an infrastructure that only turtlers could probably accumulate as having large fleets would limit how many missiles you could make.

I am thinking that one missile could take out only the orbital shields, more missiles would have to come after that to damage anything on the planet itself ~ so it is fairly balanced ~ The missiles could also be fairly slow, or even could be destroyed en route if found.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#4 Post by Bigjoe5 »

What strategic role do these missiles play that couldn't be filled by ships?

Also, with regards to giving Turtle empires a path to victory, I would suggest that a more influence-based path to victory would be appropriate.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

Karoushi
Space Squid

#5 Post by Karoushi »

Bigjoe5 wrote:What strategic role do these missiles play that couldn't be filled by ships?

Also, with regards to giving Turtle empires a path to victory, I would suggest that a more influence-based path to victory would be appropriate.
If you've read the entire thread then you'd understand that they can serve a role, more so then just the ones I suggest.

My primary example is they could be used to eradicate orbital shields before a large fleet invasion.

A secondary example is a turtle empire could specifically focus on missile production, instead of using fleets; And send waves of missiles that could do serious damage to their enemies (since a turtle empire shouldn't really have many fleets, primarily scouts and planetary defensive squads).

They could indeed, use influence and missiles together ~ Coheres a nearby weak colony that receives very little support or gets its supply lines interrupted frequently and take it over, build a missile silo on it and start launching missiles from one of their own colonies.

Infiltrate and attack.

rnl
Space Floater

#6 Post by rnl »

Also by sending missiles instead of ships you don't waste lives and you pop wont care about a lost missile as much. Getting the cost right is a important factor thur.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#7 Post by AndrewW »

rnl wrote:Also by sending missiles instead of ships you don't waste lives and you pop wont care about a lost missile as much. Getting the cost right is a important factor thur.
On the other hand the citizens of the empire being targetted by these missiles aren't going to be very happy about it...

Karoushi
Space Squid

#8 Post by Karoushi »

AndrewW wrote:
rnl wrote:Also by sending missiles instead of ships you don't waste lives and you pop wont care about a lost missile as much. Getting the cost right is a important factor thur.
On the other hand the citizens of the empire being targetted by these missiles aren't going to be very happy about it...
Yes, you both make a good point about how they could be used to influence other empires happiness.

I imagine they could also be used by small turtle empires against the large, expansive empires with weak front-line colonies that have no shields.

em3
Vacuum Dragon

#9 Post by em3 »

That is a valid point.
That gave me an idea of decreasing a species allegiance towards an empire for each ship crewed by the species and owned by the empire that is lost (this could probably be countered by having allegiance boosts for winning battles).
https://github.com/mmoderau
[...] for Man has earned his right to hold this planet against all comers, by virtue of occasionally producing someone totally batshit insane. - Randall Munroe, title text to xkcd #556

unjashfan
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by unjashfan »

That gave me an idea of decreasing a species allegiance towards an empire for each ship crewed by the species and owned by the empire that is lost
I wonder if this can relate to the happiness mechanic.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#11 Post by Bigjoe5 »

unjashfan wrote:
That gave me an idea of decreasing a species allegiance towards an empire for each ship crewed by the species and owned by the empire that is lost
I wonder if this can relate to the happiness mechanic.
That's heading down the road of this thread, which I still think anyone wanting to discuss FO's happiness/allegiance system should be chipping away at.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.