Icons Requests

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

Icons Requests

#1 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I've recently replaced text buttons at the top-right of the galaxy map with icons. The textures for these icons are presently poor or poorly hacked by me into neutral, mouseover, and pressed versions:
icons at top right
icons at top right
bad_icons.png (6.84 KiB) Viewed 13085 times
Moderator, Objects, Sitrep, Research, Production, Design, Pedia, Menu

It would be good for an artistically capable person to remake these and any other button icons to be better looking:

https://sourceforge.net/p/freeorion/cod ... s/buttons/

Edit: changed SVN url to new sourceforge repository location...

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Icons Requests

#2 Post by Dilvish »

Could I ask for clarification of the impression meant to be given by (at least these versions of) the ModeratorAction, Object, and Design buttons?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

wheals
Space Squid

#3 Post by wheals »

Dilvish wrote:Could I ask for clarification of the impression meant to be given by (at least these versions of) the ModeratorAction, Object, and Design buttons?
My guess the moderator action is supposed to look like a crown, since the moderator has absolute power. The design symbol has the symbol for the "Ships" category in the background; I'm not sure why that's the symbol, but it's been like that for as long as I've been here. I have no clue what the objects list button is supposed to be, but it's always been like that. That icon is used in the objects list itself.

Now I want to know where those symbols came from...
All my code and content provided herein or on GitHub is released under the GPL 2.0 and/or CC-BY-SA 3.0, as appropriate.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by yandonman »

I would suggest for the design icon, we go with a ship image that is half a ship and half a blue wire frame of the ship (indicating a design diagram of the ship). You see car advertisements use this approach, to various degrees.
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.

Geoff the Medio

#5 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Dilvish wrote:...ModeratorAction, Object, and Design...
ModeratorAction is taken from the icon used to indicate moderators on the players list. It appears to be a crown.

Object is a random shape I made for objects in the objects list for which there was no other icon available (such as planets before I made a bunch of icons for each planet type from their textures). It doesn't represent anything.

Design is the ships tech category icon with a wrench superimposed over it that's hard to see because the shapes blur together. The wrench represents building / designing stuff, and the ships icon was used because you're designing ships.

The ships icon itself is a rocket shape with two vaguely military-esque wing shapes surrounding it, likely evoking the birds often seen on US or UK (and other?) air force logos. It is also similar in shape to the economic sinkhole tech logo, which I randomly picked at one point to use as a ships category logo and someone decided had a reasonable decent shape on which to base the actual current ships category logo.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#6 Post by AndrewW »

Ok, not great but what about something like a blueprint for ship design?
Design.png
Design.png (1.02 KiB) Viewed 13044 times

Dilvish

#7 Post by Dilvish »

AndrewW wrote:Ok, not great but what about something like a blueprint for ship design?
That's what I was thinking also. The ship outline could maybe look a little more like one of our ships, or a plane, but the color scheme and basic idea I like a lot.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Geoff the Medio

#8 Post by Geoff the Medio »

AndrewW wrote:...what about something like a blueprint for ship design?
Possibly, but a more distinct silhouette than the example given is probably necessary.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#9 Post by AndrewW »

Just meant as a concept, not a final icon. But seeing as how I seem to have gotten elected...
Design-02.png
Design-02.png (1.56 KiB) Viewed 13032 times
Design-03.png
Design-03.png (3.05 KiB) Viewed 13032 times

Dilvish

#10 Post by Dilvish »

I like the design, but I'd drop the lettering; no reason to label a specific hull, and I doubt it would be legible anyways.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#11 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:I like the design, but I'd drop the lettering; no reason to label a specific hull, and I doubt it would be legible anyways.
Well, usually text at the bottom of a blueprint. Designer, scale, design and such. Didn't try and do all of that since it wouldn't be readable that's why I just stuck the one bit of text in.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#12 Post by AndrewW »

Easy enough to remove though. Note starts out life as a vector image so can scale to whatever size is needed.
Design-04.png
Design-04.png (10.99 KiB) Viewed 13026 times

Dilvish

#13 Post by Dilvish »

And is the straightedge an extra layer that's easy to leave out? In the original somewhat smaller version that had it I hadn't even recognized what it was, & just focused on the version without. When shrunk down to smaller size for the button, I suspect it would look like a coffee stain smudge on the blueprint :lol:

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#14 Post by AndrewW »

Dilvish wrote:And is the straightedge an extra layer that's easy to leave out? In the original somewhat smaller version that had it I hadn't even recognized what it was, & just focused on the version without. When shrunk down to smaller size for the button, I suspect it would look like a coffee stain smudge on the blueprint :lol:
These are all on the same layer, but vector images the T-Square is a separate object. Along with the triangle (not even visible in the smaller size) and the compass (at least not recognizable at the smaller size).

I can do layers as well, but in this case don't see any need to.

Easy enough to adjust whatever, remove objects for example.

yandonman
Creative Contributor

#15 Post by yandonman »

My feedback would be to do something like the top left of this image, where the ship is half-design, half real.
car-design.jpg
car-design.jpg (88.99 KiB) Viewed 13004 times
Code released under GPL 2.0. Content released under GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0.