Installer for 0.1

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

Yoghurt
Programmer

Installer for 0.1

#1 Post by Yoghurt »

Maybe we should distribute FreeOrion for Windows with an installer from the start.

I would recommend NSIS (nsis.sourceforge.net) and also volunteer to create the installer.

Any objections?

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#2 Post by Tyreth »

An installer sounds good. Are there any cross platform ones? Might be useful to consider a linux installer while we are at it. I've heard of at least one, but I can't remember. Perhaps its the Loki Installer:
http://www.lokigames.com/development/setup.php3

Obviously, 0.1 is more proof of life than an actual fun game, but having an installer working from the start will no doubt help us. Just need to warn them on the installer that this is very alpha software ;)

Yoghurt
Programmer

#3 Post by Yoghurt »

For Linux I would recommend we use the "native" way, that is, rpm and debian packages.
Unfortunately, I'm unexperienced with rpms, creating a deb isn't a problem though...

But maybe we can go with the Loki installer or anything like that for 0.1

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by Tyreth »

Well, normal packaging methods goes without saying, but there's somewhat of a small movement for games to use a graphical installer. Savage and Enemy Territory are two of many games that use such an installer. Not really important though.

Yoghurt
Programmer

#5 Post by Yoghurt »

Tyreth wrote:Well, normal packaging methods goes without saying, but there's somewhat of a small movement for games to use a graphical installer. Savage and Enemy Territory are two of many games that use such an installer. Not really important though.
Yes, I personally dislike the installed for ET very much. It's hard to keep track of what you have installed where and how to uninstall it cleanly, this way.
But we might distribute debs/rpms as well as graphical installers for Linux, shouldn't be too hard.

Anyway, I will start to create a NSIS script

luckless666
Pupating Mass

#6 Post by luckless666 »

Tyreth wrote:Well, normal packaging methods goes without saying, but there's somewhat of a small movement for games to use a graphical installer. Savage and Enemy Territory are two of many games that use such an installer. Not really important though.
Its getting more and more popular, but for version 0.1, I dont think its really that important
Chris Walker
| c.walker (at) mgt.hull.ac.uk |

WorldForge.org

Xardas
Space Kraken

#7 Post by Xardas »

I agree with that.
I dont have any idea how much work you have to spend to program an ordinary graphcial install maker.
I think the programmers should concentrat on the project itselfs.
Maybe u can use a software like the installmaker from clicksoft
http://www.clickteam.com/English/install_creator.htm

I used to try it in and found it very comfortabel and easy.
But this is years ago.

Maybe you have a look and when you decide to do it with this or a similiar programm, the result is satisfactory and the effort tiny.

To create an own installer should have less priority.
Maybe u also use the options of the patchmaker.

It is just a suggestion

Yoghurt
Programmer

#8 Post by Yoghurt »

Xardas wrote:Maybe u can use a software like the installmaker from clicksoft
http://www.clickteam.com/English/install_creator.htm
NSIS is also an install maker, and a very good one.
Creating the script wasn't so hard, I'm finetuning it and will upload it to CVS soon