Influence

Talk about strategy games like MoO series, Civilization, Europa Universalis, etc.

Moderator: Oberlus

luckless666
Pupating Mass

Influence

#1 Post by luckless666 »

Just wanted to know what strategy games were the original influence on FO. Yes i know 4X games, but i mean things like Civ, EU, etc.
Chris Walker
| c.walker (at) mgt.hull.ac.uk |

WorldForge.org

Daveybaby
Small Juggernaut

#2 Post by Daveybaby »

I'm pretty sure Moo3 was the original influence....

... but not in a good way ;-)

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#3 Post by Aquitaine »

I'm not sure what you mean by 'original.'

We started this project in March of last year when Tyreth suggested it on the MOO3 boards. At first we just wanted to 'do MOO3 right' and we spent a lot of time brainstorming. A couple popular themes came up; MOO2 was a bigger influence than MOO3, but EU2 came up quite a lot as well.

Officially speaking, those would be thw two I'd pick. Personally, the Total War series is factor for me.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

Tyreth
FreeOrion Lead Emeritus

#4 Post by Tyreth »

We considered remaking MOO3 right. We also considered remaking MOO2 for modern computers, with some changes. Then we decided we could make our own, new game. With a moddable engine it is our hope that most anything will be possible.

For me, MOO2 and SMAC are big influences, but having played EU2 and HoI I've added them to the list.

luckless666
Pupating Mass

#5 Post by luckless666 »

cheers for the replies. I'm gonna hunt down both EU2 and HoI on ebay or somewhere to try them out as they get mentioned on the forums a lot. Paradox Entertainment obviously did well with these games. Cheers again for the info
Chris Walker

WorldForge.org

Bastian-Bux
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by Bastian-Bux »

If you are on it, try Victoria as well. It doesn't directly goes well with our KISS rule, but it might be the last precious jewel of complex Paradox games. :(

Aquitaine
Lead Designer Emeritus

#7 Post by Aquitaine »

For me, the beauty of Paradox games is not really the original game, but what the community has done with it -- and this is why I believe in a project like ours.

Of all the paradox games, my favorite thing right now is EU2 + AGC/EEP. Kudos to the developers for still patching the thing 2 years later, but the real content of the game came from those two (now-combined) community efforts.
Surprise and Terror! I am greeted by the smooth and hostile face of our old enemy, the Hootmans! No... the Huge-glands, no, I remember, the Hunams!

luckless666
Pupating Mass

#8 Post by luckless666 »

...last precious jewel of complex Paradox games.
Im not really knowledgable about paradox as ive only just started following, but i tkat it from your remark they are experiencing difficulties (of the financial nature?). No doubt the development team would form another company, and continue to develop like products. Happens a lot.
Chris Walker

WorldForge.org

Bastian-Bux
Creative Contributor

#9 Post by Bastian-Bux »

Well, the Paradox games are mostly for intelligent (snobbish) hardcore gamers like me. :D

So after Victoria was sold rather badly, Johan (lead programmer) announced that they will change their focus to more main stream games, to be able to pay their wages.

Though this might be in our own interesst (as Paradox is one of the few corps that realy cares about its customers) to keep Paradox alife, it also sadens me deeply.

Thats the reason for my comment.

luckless666
Pupating Mass

#10 Post by luckless666 »

ah... i understand now. thats the problem on focusing on niche markets, your catering for the minority! Gets to the point where you need to either charge more for the product (unpopular for everyone) or change tact and cater for more mainstream people (popular for the developers, as they could get a nice big fat bonus, unpopular for the original hardcore fans.) The way it is and most probably always will be.

Sigh :(
Chris Walker

WorldForge.org