Missing Mad Scientists

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Scara
Space Kraken

Missing Mad Scientists

#1 Post by Scara »

Hello again!

I have played several games again the last days always using the fresh git rep. and noticed you updated the descriptions! Thanks!
I mentioned before that I had games where the Precursors don't show up and I was disappointed about it. As you said there was some ramdomness with it.
Now I had no Precursors for three whole games and two of them where on difficulty manical. That was a bit frustrating cause it lacked difficulty at the end. There was no use for the new produced ships. I didn't get so far building sun ships, cause everything is invaded no Precursors in sight and I don't spend time in waiting till Singularity of Transcendence finishes, so I quit earlier even if I have no issue with the game speed anymore...
So I rather let me supprise where they show up, than if they show up at all. When I created the next game I had a look if the Precursors where there with the Supermouse and found them, this time I knew they where in but I spoiled it by having a look at the galaxy...
Is it possible to integrate a switch in the new game menu, where you can toggle the presence of the Mad scientists independently from the difficulty setting?
Maybe you can vary the time they come in, keeping up some randomness.
Easy ~Turn220 +/-10
Typical ~Turn200 +/-10
Manical ~Turn180 +/-10

If you don't want to spoil the suprise you can call the switch for example "Add extra spice" or something similar catchy ;-). Although I guess everybody who played MOO before, knows sort of what's about to happen during the game.

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: Missing Mad Scientists

#2 Post by Dilvish »

if you want to verify that the experimentors are present without peeking at the galaxy, you can open up the server log freeoriond.log and search for "Spawn SM_EXP_OUTPOST at" -- if that is in there then you have experimentors.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#3 Post by MatGB »

Scara wrote: Is it possible to integrate a switch in the new game menu, where you can toggle the presence of the Mad scientists independently from the difficulty setting?
Maybe you can vary the time they come in, keeping up some randomness.
Easy ~Turn220 +/-10
Typical ~Turn200 +/-10
Manical ~Turn180 +/-10
This has been discussed as something many of us want to have happen, but it's way beyond my coding ability, Vezzra's hoping to integrate them into galaxy setup settings at some point but they're not guaranteed.

One thing to bear in mind: they can't appear at all if you've set monsters to none, and need space to setup in, so lower starlane numbers nad more systems per player make them more likely.

You can also, if you want, change the Experiment Zero spawn chance to have more than one of them, that's, um, interesting ;-)
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Scara
Space Kraken

#4 Post by Scara »

MatGB wrote:You can also, if you want, change the Experiment Zero spawn chance to have more than one of them, that's, um, interesting ;-)
LOL, I must do this!

Scara
Space Kraken

#5 Post by Scara »

Dilvish wrote:if you want to verify that the experimentors are present without peeking at the galaxy, you can open up the server log freeoriond.log and search for "Spawn SM_EXP_OUTPOST at" -- if that is in there then you have experimentors.
Great thanx, I'll check that the next game!