Bombs

Creation, discussion, and balancing of game content such as techs, buildings, ship parts.

Moderators: Oberlus, Committer

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

Bombs

#1 Post by Bigjoe5 »

I think we could use some bomb parts. I was trying to play a turtle-style strategy where I would separate my empire from the rest of the galaxy with just a few well guarded choke-points, then just send ships out to destroy the rest of the galaxy, but right now the only option I have for that is Nova Bombs, because even bio-weapons don't actually destroy colonies - just reduce them to outpost status.

I think it would be very helpful to have some bombardment parts that actually destroy colonies when the population is reduced to 0. I can put together some scripts for that if nobody has any issues with it.

On a semi-related note, I think we should change the Nova Bomb mechanics to not require that ridiculous building. I modded my local scripts to make it so that you just had to order your ship to bombard some planet in the system to activate the Nova Bomb, and it makes it much less obnoxious. If we added UI for ordering Systems bombarded, that would be perfect.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Bombs

#2 Post by MatGB »

Agree completely, not sure I want it for 0.4.5 tho (costing it's going to be a challenge), but it makes perfect sense to remove the building from nova bombs, that was IIRC meant as a stop gap and hasn't been changed since Geoff introduced Bombardment as a mechanic.

Definitely want more variety of weapons and strategies.

One thing with the nova bomb, I think the Cosmic Dragons use it or similar to destroy systems, need to make sure they don't break (but I think you created them in the first place, right?). Whatever's done though, adding a sitrep to nova bombs has been on my list for ages, so putting them in for any new galaxy visible effect is a good plan.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#3 Post by Sloth »

Bigjoe5 wrote:I think it would be very helpful to have some bombardment parts that actually destroy colonies when the population is reduced to 0. I can put together some scripts for that if nobody has any issues with it.
Sounds very promising.
MatGB wrote:Agree completely, not sure I want it for 0.4.5 tho (costing it's going to be a challenge)
There's also the issue that the AI may need an update.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#4 Post by Vezzra »

Bigjoe5 wrote:On a semi-related note, I think we should change the Nova Bomb mechanics to not require that ridiculous building. I modded my local scripts to make it so that you just had to order your ship to bombard some planet in the system to activate the Nova Bomb, and it makes it much less obnoxious. If we added UI for ordering Systems bombarded, that would be perfect.
Definitely seconded!

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#5 Post by Bigjoe5 »

Some UI mock-ups. I used the little bar that shows up when you own planets in a system as a location for the bombard button. Any thoughts?
Attachments
Bombard System Unowned.png
Bombard System Unowned.png (86.15 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
Bombard System.png
Bombard System.png (89.96 KiB) Viewed 2667 times
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

Looks fine, does it work on systems that have nothing in?
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

Bigjoe5 wrote:Any thoughts?
Looks ok, should serve the purpose. As Mat already pointed out: what if you don't own any planets in the system, or there aren't any planets in the system at all?

Sloth
Content Scripter

#8 Post by Sloth »

This is only for the Nova Bomb right?

I think it should be made clear that the system is bombed and not the first planet. Maybe write Bombard System on the button.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.