Maximum window size

Programmers discuss here anything related to FreeOrion programming. Primarily for the developers to discuss.

Moderator: Committer

mel_o
Space Floater

Maximum window size

#1 Post by mel_o »

Currently, the maximum window size (as specified by the validators for "app-width" and friends in HumanClientApp.cpp@L100) is 2560 x 1600. I've used this as the maximum UI window size in a recent branch for the sake of consistency and adrian_broher brought up concerns about this being too small for large monitors and multi-screen displays. I'm not familiar with the latest high-res displays so I thought I'd bring the question here: what should the maximum be? I imagine we could just set it absurdly high in the validator because SDL supplies us with the list of supported resolutions, although that would only limit the fullscreen size and not the windowed size.
Unless stated otherwise, code and scripts provided by me are released under GNU GPL 2.0 (or later) and other content is released under CC BY-SA 3.0.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

Re: Maximum window size

#2 Post by MatGB »

Not my field, but if there is to be a max then
Technically, "Ultra High Definition" is actually a derivation of the 4K digital cinema standard. However while your local multiplex shows images in native 4096 x 2160 4K resolution, the new Ultra HD consumer format has a slightly lower resolution of 3840 X 2160
I don't know what 4K monitors are likely to display at, I'm guessing there'll be some capable of the higher values, so I'd go for that.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

pheldens
Pupating Mass

Re: Maximum window size

#3 Post by pheldens »

DisplayPort: 3840 x 2160 (60Hz, 16:9 aspect ratio)
sexy monitor plug http://www.eizoglobal.com/products/flex ... 237/#tab02