Feedback 0.4.5 1st pre-release

Describe your experience with the latest version of FreeOrion to help us improve it.

Moderator: Oberlus

Forum rules
Always mention the exact version of FreeOrion you are testing.

When reporting an issue regarding the AI, if possible provide the relevant AI log file and a save game file that demonstrates the issue.
Ouaz
Dyson Forest

Feedback 0.4.5 1st pre-release

#1 Post by Ouaz »

Build 2015-07-27.4090454

1) Display bug in the Keyboard Shortcuts options:
kb_shortcut_bug.PNG
kb_shortcut_bug.PNG (12.03 KiB) Viewed 1551 times

2) When starting a new game with a clean config file (i.e. not modified by the user, as it is created when lauching FO for the first time), the overall display is weird (all in 4/3 style, even after maximizing the window):
sidepanel_middlescreen.PNG
sidepanel_middlescreen.PNG (230.6 KiB) Viewed 1551 times

Opening the Production Screen:
productionscreen_start.PNG
productionscreen_start.PNG (204.48 KiB) Viewed 1551 times

Each panel has to be resized manually (which is tedious) or the user has to activate "Reset windows properties to default" in the options (in this case, all panels are resized to fill the whole screen, as it was automatically done in the previous version just by maximizing the main FO window, without sneaking in the options).

3) The game now remembering each window/panel position/size is a great addition. I just wish it is possible to reset properties easily and quickly with an hotkey.
I release every updated file under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

Re: Feedback 0.4.5 1st pre-release

#2 Post by AndrewW »

This started a bit earlier then that revision. With the window position saving, it now saves the default setup when it first starts up, instead of where they would normally be if you say, change the resolution higher or something.

Perhaps when you go in and change the resolution setting it could determine layout based on that instead of the 'saved' positions?

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#3 Post by Vezzra »

Ouaz wrote:When starting a new game with a clean config file (i.e. not modified by the user, as it is created when lauching FO for the first time), the overall display is weird (all in 4/3 style, even after maximizing the window)
Basically what Andrew already stated.

What you see is a consequence of the remembering window positions feature mel implemented. The problem now is that the default sizes/positions of all these windows are determined and saved when FO launches (and the config file has been deleted, otherwise it of course pulls the sizes/positions from there), before you can resize the app or go fullscreen. Requiring you to reset windows properties to default in the options dialog.
or the user has to activate "Reset windows properties to default" in the options (in this case, all panels are resized to fill the whole screen, as it was automatically done in the previous version just by maximizing the main FO window, without sneaking in the options).
On OSX that never worked this way. You always had to quit and restart after you resized the app or went into fullscreen. Now you you have to restart and go to the options dialog to do the reset. But you've to do that only once, after that it remembers the layout now, and that's really a huge improvement, well worth that inconvenience.
The game now remembering each window/panel position/size is a great addition. I just wish it is possible to reset properties easily and quickly with an hotkey.
Actually, mel has already implemented something to address this issue and made the patch available as PR, she just hasn't been able to do it in time for the release branch. The problem is, this isn't some simple and small fix, it's quite a huge patch, not something you normally consider cherry picking into a release branch.

However, considering it took less than a day for the first complaints about that issue to turn up, I seriously propose for us to consider doing that in this case (that is, cherry picking that thing into the release branch). Geoff, Dilvish?

Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

#4 Post by Dilvish »

Vezzra wrote:However, considering it took less than a day for the first complaints about that issue to turn up, I seriously propose for us to consider doing that in this case (that is, cherry picking that thing into the release branch). Geoff, Dilvish?
I don't really have any objections, and in fact, it does seem to make sense to fix it if mel-o is pretty confident that her fix doesn't have too many loose threads for us to catch quickly. And it sounds like Marcel is hoping we take a while to get things together so he has more time to work on de.txt :D
I can't volunteer to do any review on it though.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

mel_o
Space Floater

#5 Post by mel_o »

Ah, I was about to put up another PR changing that toggle to a button for the release version (because I didn't have the more thorough solution finished in time).

I've never noticed the UI windows automatically resizing themselves when the app size changed and it's in fact one of the features implemented in my existing PR. The system side panel overlapping with the toolbar in the first screenshot is interesting, though - did that happen just by switching to fullscreen mode after starting with a clean config (no <windows> section)?

A hotkey for resetting window positions would be a neat idea, thanks for bringing that up.

As far as my existing PR is concerned, I haven't managed to break it and it works as (I) expected although I'm going to go re-test it now after saying that and testing & comments from others is obviously needed.
Unless stated otherwise, code and scripts provided by me are released under GNU GPL 2.0 (or later) and other content is released under CC BY-SA 3.0.

pheldens
Pupating Mass

#6 Post by pheldens »

with what git version does this correspond? 4090454 doesnt exist

git head has worked fine for me so all green for me

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#7 Post by Vezzra »

pheldens wrote:with what git version does this correspond? 4090454 doesnt exist
Of course it does... it's on the release-0.4.5 branch though, not on master.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

mel_o wrote:testing & comments from others is obviously needed.
I'll try to get around to it ASAP.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#9 Post by Ouaz »

mel_o wrote:The system side panel overlapping with the toolbar in the first screenshot is interesting, though - did that happen just by switching to fullscreen mode after starting with a clean config (no <windows> section)?
Not exactly.

1- Launch FO with no config file existing.
2- FO is displayed in windowed mode 1024x768
3- Maximize the window to use the user's desktop resolution (without going in full screen mode) produces the side panel overlapping (screenshot in OP)
4- Switch to full screen mode (ALT+ENTER) fixes the overlapping (but the sidepanel position stays like in 1024x768, i.e. it doesn't go in the right side of the screen and stays in the middle, and in Production screen, everything is sized/positionned like in 1024x768)

As Vezzra said, it's not a big deal compared to the improvement (a reset windows properties fixes everything), but for a newcomer (who doesn't know that there is an option to do so), it can be quite confusing.

Note: I didn't encounter this display behavior in the previous build, because I usually always use my previous config file (with my personnal settings), that I merge with the new config file created by FO at first launch, in order to not have to set everething manually again (hotkeys, app size, etc).
Last edited by Ouaz on Tue Jul 28, 2015 7:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#10 Post by Ouaz »

Me again. :p

- When activating "Show Queue Production Location" in the options:
production-queue-overlapping.PNG
production-queue-overlapping.PNG (12.04 KiB) Viewed 1455 times
In the previous test builds, the production queue panel was resizable in order to prevent the text overlapping, but this panel can't be resized anymore (no handle in the lower right corner).

Dilvish

#11 Post by Dilvish »

Ouaz wrote:In the previous test builds, the production queue panel was resizable in order to prevent the text overlapping, but this panel can't be resized anymore (no handle in the lower right corner).
Was that resiz-ability for the ProductionQueue listbox something very recent that I missed? You sure it's not just that you had adjusted UI.queue-width via the options panel or in config.xml?

There are some code comments that Geoff is in the middle of making changes to get us to the point where these would be resizable, perhaps you had read something about that.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#12 Post by Ouaz »

Dilvish wrote:Was that resiz-ability for the ProductionQueue listbox something very recent that I missed? You sure it's not just that you had adjusted UI.queue-width via the options panel or in config.xml?

There are some code comments that Geoff is in the middle of making changes to get us to the point where these would be resizable, perhaps you had read something about that.
Well, I 'm almost sure (let's say 90%) that this panel was resizable a few builds ago, because in french, there's text overlapping with all the productible items names when the production location is showed. And I remember I was able to resize the panel to prevent the overlapping, so I never complained about this. ;)

EDIT: yeah, that's it, the Available Production Points and the Production Queue were in the same panel in the previous builds, and the whole panel was resizable. Now, the Production Points are in single panel (resizable), above the Production Queue (not resizable now).

Dilvish

#13 Post by Dilvish »

Ouaz wrote:Well, I 'm almost sure (let's say 90%) that this panel was resizable a few builds ago, because in french, there's text overlapping with all the productible items names when the production location is showed. And I remember I was able to resize the panel to prevent the overlapping, so I never complained about this. ;)
EDIT: yeah, that's it, the Available Production Points and the Production Queue were in the same panel in the previous builds, and the whole panel was resizable. Now, the Production Points are in single panel (resizable), above the Production Queue (not resizable now).
I should probably really let Geoff respond on this, since he's been the one doing the work. But from personal memory and from double checking the code history, I'm pretty sure you're just mis-remembering how you resized it before -- via options, not via a resize-drag-handle. The recent split added drag- resizability to the top part, yes, but it hadn't been there at all prior to that.

Ouaz
Dyson Forest

#14 Post by Ouaz »

Dilvish wrote:
Ouaz wrote:But from personal memory and from double checking the code history, I'm pretty sure you're just mis-remembering how you resized it before -- via options, not via a resize-drag-handle. The recent split added drag- resizability to the top part, yes, but it hadn't been there at all prior to that.
Well, we should wait agent Geoff Mulder then. 8)

I never modified the panel width via the options for a simple reason: it requires a restart of FO, which is not very convenient (and given the specified value, it prevents the overlapping in french or not -we have looong words, like in deutsch :p )

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#15 Post by Geoff the Medio »

I could also be wrong, but I don't remember queue ever being resizable just by dragging...

It did change size depending on the main window size at startup.