0.4 UI thread

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Dilvish
AI Lead and Programmer Emeritus

Re: 0.4 UI thread

#61 Post by Dilvish »

The Silent One wrote:When I upload the icons I will also replace the "ancient_ruins" icon of the greetings message with the free orion logo if there's no objections.
Makes sense to me as well.

Now that you've reminded me about the ancient ruins icon, a request :D Currently we use the same icon for both the untouched ancient ruins and those that have been excavated. I think it would be pretty cool to have an All-Seeing Eye / Eye of Providence (perhaps in blue?) at the top of the pyramid once it's been excavated.
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

The Silent One
Graphics

#62 Post by The Silent One »

Sure
Dilvish wrote:I think it would be pretty cool to have an All-Seeing Eye / Eye of Providence (perhaps in blue?) at the top of the pyramid once it's been excavated.
Sure, I'll see what I can do.
Edit: Pull request for icons is up.
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#63 Post by MatGB »

Playing with these, very nice, takes a bit to get used to the new planet captured icon but definitely good to have all 'planet' effects look similar and have an actual planet in. I'm playing at 24 pix for the sitreps which might make a difference.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

The Silent One
Graphics

#64 Post by The Silent One »

Dilvish wrote:I think it would be pretty cool to have an All-Seeing Eye / Eye of Providence (perhaps in blue?) at the top of the pyramid once it's been excavated.
Here it is. (Blue didn't work well.)
Attachments
ancient_ruins_excavated_24.png
ancient_ruins_excavated_24.png (1.82 KiB) Viewed 11822 times
ancient_ruins_excavated_64.png
ancient_ruins_excavated_64.png (9.1 KiB) Viewed 11822 times
ancient_ruins_excavated_128.png
ancient_ruins_excavated_128.png (28.29 KiB) Viewed 11822 times
If I provided any images, code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0.

Dilvish

#65 Post by Dilvish »

The Silent One wrote:Here it is. (Blue didn't work well.)
Thanks a bunch for putting something together. I do like that better than just continuing to use the same icon for both, but I'd like to explore just a bit more change to it if we could. For my preferences the eye seems a bit over-dominant here. I'm sure you were just trying to deal with recognizability with the smaller icon sizes, but my impression is that it the eye would still be plenty recognizable even if it were just half (or perhaps 2/3) the present size (and then moved slightly higher). Would it be much hassle to try that out?
If I provided any code, scripts or other content here, it's released under GPL 2.0 and CC-BY-SA 3.0

The Silent One
Graphics

#66 Post by The Silent One »

Dilvish wrote: I'm sure you were just trying to deal with recognizability with the smaller icon sizes, but my impression is that it the eye would still be plenty recognizable even if it were just half (or perhaps 2/3) the present size (and then moved slightly higher).
New version with a smaller eye below. I'm not sure about the rays, maybe I should just remove them from the 24x24 icon.
[Edit]I tested the icon in the game, and I'm pleased with how it looks with rays. (Only the large icons are used atm.)
Attachments
ancient_ruins_excavated_b_24.png
ancient_ruins_excavated_b_24.png (1.66 KiB) Viewed 11817 times
ancient_ruins_excavated_b_64.png
ancient_ruins_excavated_b_64.png (8.33 KiB) Viewed 11817 times
ancient_ruins_excavated_b_128.png
ancient_ruins_excavated_b_128.png (27.37 KiB) Viewed 11817 times

Dilvish

#67 Post by Dilvish »

The Silent One wrote:I tested the icon in the game, and I'm pleased with how it looks with rays. (Only the large icons are used atm.)
I like how these look also, thanks.

Anyone else care to opine?

Sloth
Content Scripter

#68 Post by Sloth »

Dilvish wrote:Anyone else care to opine?
I also like the smaller eye version better. Nicely done, The Silent One. Mmh, that rhymes.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

AndrewW
Juggernaut

#69 Post by AndrewW »

And here I was thinking of an eye floating above the top of the pyramid...

But agree the smaller eye looks better.

The Silent One
Graphics

#70 Post by The Silent One »

Glad you like it, anything else that needs to be done?
Otherwise I'll switch to doing a tech icon now and then.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#71 Post by MatGB »

Space Elevator, and one of either Intersteller Lighthouse and Scanning Facility, they both use the same thing, and the elevator uses the generic.

There are some techs currently using the defaults that could almost certainly simply be given the icon for what they unlock, I've never gotten around to finding time to look through it all properly, there's also some unused stuff that could be recycled for newer content.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Sloth
Content Scripter

#72 Post by Sloth »

The Silent One wrote:Glad you like it, anything else that needs to be done?
The Krill Spawner ship part also needs an icon and some of the space monsters really need an update.
All released under the GNU GPL 2.0 and Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 licences.

Dilvish

#73 Post by Dilvish »

I've committed the excavated ancient ruins icons; please submit the base art file to the assets repository.

The Silent One
Graphics

#74 Post by The Silent One »

Thanks for commiting the icon. I'll commit it to the assets repo soon.

Bigjoe5
Designer and Programmer

#75 Post by Bigjoe5 »

The Silent One wrote:To accomodate (not only :wink: ) your brain cells, I would suggest an option in config.xml that allows to switch between generic and the specific icons. And frankly, I do agree with your point that the tech icons are not easily distinguishable from other items of the sitrep panel; however, the reason for that is that the tech icons do not have a uniform look anymore, but are mixed with ship parts which look completely different from the original icons, and more like the other sitrep icons.
I'm definitely dubious about having an option for something like that... We have really a lot of options already, and the typical user never changes any options. I think coming to an agreement about what is most useful for the player will be better than just copping out and making an option for it.
Warning: Antarans in dimensional portal are closer than they appear.