Standard Ship Hulls

Development of artwork, requests, suggestions, samples, or if you have artwork to offer. Primarily for the artists.
Captain M
Krill Swarm

Standard Ship Hulls

#1 Post by Captain M »

Hello. I made some graphics for the large and medium standard hulls...
If you intend to use them and need a rendering from another angle or the 3-D model, let me know.
Attachments
Large hull rear
Large hull rear
largehull-b3.png (262.51 KiB) Viewed 18274 times
Large hull side
Large hull side
largehull-b2.png (463.51 KiB) Viewed 18274 times
Large hull front
Large hull front
largehull-b1.png (701.06 KiB) Viewed 18274 times
Last edited by Captain M on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
All code and graphics posted here are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Captain M
Krill Swarm

Re: Standard Ship Hulls

#2 Post by Captain M »

Here the medium hull. I'm working the small hull, but it is not textured yet.
Attachments
Medium hull rear
Medium hull rear
mediumhull-b3.png (472.2 KiB) Viewed 18272 times
Medium hull side
Medium hull side
mediumhull-b2.png (391.58 KiB) Viewed 18272 times
Medium hull front
Medium hull front
mediumhull-b1.png (977.04 KiB) Viewed 18272 times
Last edited by Captain M on Mon Dec 07, 2015 12:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
All code and graphics posted here are licensed under the Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.

Geoff the Medio
Programming, Design, Admin

#3 Post by Geoff the Medio »

Could you add a signature or edit your posts to say you release the images under the CC-BY-SA 3.0 license?

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#4 Post by MatGB »

I like, but I actually quite like the existing art, it's fairly well done and detailed.

Having said that, I am working on a few other hull ideas and there's always use for good art. What do others think, replace existing or create new? (we need, amongst other things, a few hulls in the battlecruiser size, 7-10 external slots each)

I don't do art, I'm actually terrible at it, but there is a resources repo to store stuff like original files, blender stuff, etc, linked from the main Github page, which is where those that do this stuff like to keep 3d models &c.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#5 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:I like, but I actually quite like the existing art, it's fairly well done and detailed.
Actually, the graphic currently used for the basic hull line was originally intended for the "Warden" (some special precursor guardian ship), and has only been used for the basic hull line as a placeholder IIRC. After all, it's just one model used for all three basic hull sizes, just resized and colored a bit differently.
What do others think, replace existing or create new?
The models provided here by Captain M IMO fit "basic" hulls better, so I'd suggest to use them for the basic hull line, and rededicate the current graphic to it's original use.
there is a resources repo to store stuff like original files, blender stuff, etc, linked from the main Github page, which is where those that do this stuff like to keep 3d models &c.
Speaking of which, Captain M, can you provide the source files of the models? Preferred format would be Blender, but anything Blender (or another comparable open source software) can import should be fine too. The source file should contain/embed all resources (texture files etc.) if possible, so we don't have to deal with several separate files per asset (another option is to provide the source file and associated resources packaged as a zip archive). Also, an additional readme file containing metadata about the asset authors, license, used editor and other relevant notes for other artists should be provided, preferably in markdown format (see here for a template README.md file you can use).

If you know how to use git and github, you can provide the source file and README.md by means of a pull request to the FO assets repo. Brief instructions on how to use that repo see here. Otherwise you can attach them to a post here, or provide a link where we can download those files.

For your entry in the credits file, we will use your forum nick "Captain M" (unless you want us to use another nick). If you want us to also include a real name, please provide it.

If you have any further questions, feel free to ask :)

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#6 Post by MatGB »

Oh, OK, before my time. A LONG time before my time, fairly sure they were in use when I first played. The Warden now has its own art and it ought to be consistent with the other guards, however having small/medium/large 'generic' hulls for new ships and similar would probably be useful, as long as the current art isn't deleted I don't mind either way.
Mat Bowles

Any code or patches in anything posted here is released under the CC and GPL licences in use for the FO project.

Captain M
Krill Swarm

#7 Post by Captain M »

I used Blender to make these and the textures are also contained in the Blender file, so no problem to provide them in one package.
Thanks for the explanation about the repository, I used git before, but not github, but i think I can figure it out. I'll come back to it soon when I have some time.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#8 Post by Vezzra »

Captain M wrote:If you intend to use them and need a rendering from another angle or the 3-D model, let me know.
As Mat gave his OK and there have been no further objections, I'd say we're going to use them. Several things:

* We actually do use other angles/image sizes in-game: a 256x256 image, angle front-left-above as icon graphic in the fleet window etc., and a 2000x1000 image, angle exactly right side for the design screen. As a reference see the image files in the /default/data/art/icons/ship_hulls (that's the one for the 256x256 icons) and default/data/art/hull_design (that's the one for the design screen graphics) folders. The latter often do not present a view exactly/strictly from the right side as they should, good examples for how it should be are: generic_hull.png, small_asteroid_hull.png, quantum_energy_hull.png. A particularly bad example of how it should not be done is energy_frigate_hull.png.

* For the filenames please use the naming scheme basic-[small|medium|large]-hull.png (for the design screen graphic) and basic-[small|medium|large]-hull_small.png (for the icon). I've already renamed the asset files you provided for the assets repo accordingly, see there.

* I've seen that you've used a slightly different nick on github ("Captain-HM") and also provided a real name in the README.md files. In the credits file, which nick shall we use, your forum nick or your github nick? And shall we include the real name you provided, or do you prefer to show up only under your nick?

I guess that's all for the moment. Already curious what you will come up with for the small hull... :D

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#9 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:Oh, OK, before my time. A LONG time before my time, fairly sure they were in use when I first played.
Oh yes, definitely. Those graphics have been in use for the basic hulls a long time before I joined in 2011...
The Warden now has its own art and it ought to be consistent with the other guards
It does? I didn't know we even had The Warden already in game... isn't that the uber powerful guardian ship for some kind of "Orion planet" or somesuch? I guess what you're thinking of are the sentry/sentinel space monsters, these are not what I meant.
as long as the current art isn't deleted I don't mind either way.
I definitely don't want to delete the current art, it's a superb graphic which would be a shame to throw away. Just lets use it for something else (for which it fits better).

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#10 Post by MatGB »

Vezzra wrote:
The Warden now has its own art and it ought to be consistent with the other guards
It does? I didn't know we even had The Warden already in game... isn't that the uber powerful guardian ship for some kind of "Orion planet" or somesuch? I guess what you're thinking of are the sentry/sentinel space monsters, these are not what I meant.
Nope, Honeycomb special was designed by Sloth specifically with the Warden in mind for use, icon (not very good) warden.png but it is at least similar to the other two guard hulls, if they get redone I'd like them to stay similar to each other (but I care not if they're completely revamped)
as long as the current art isn't deleted I don't mind either way.
I definitely don't want to delete the current art, it's a superb graphic which would be a shame to throw away. Just lets use it for something else (for which it fits better).
If nothing else, a bit of spare art lets me play around with/add new hulls and have them with a 'placeholder' art until someone comes along to fix it.

(and I like the way the Energy Frigate is angled even if it is technically 'wrong', it looks dead cool in the design window)
Mat Bowles

Captain M
Krill Swarm

#11 Post by Captain M »

I put up a pull request to include the ship graphics as described.
The side view for generic hull is actually looking down on the hull at about 30 degree, only noticed after looking at the 3D model.
I used that angle as well, since the hulls look rather boring exactly from the side.
Large hull seems to use "generic_hull*" graphics at the moment, so the code has to be changed to make it use "basic-large-hull*" somewhere, I guess...

For the credits please use real name and "Captain M" - github allows no space in usernames and apparently there is already another user "captain-m", but he never posted anything, so no danger of interference.

Vezzra
Release Manager, Design

#12 Post by Vezzra »

MatGB wrote:(and I like the way the Energy Frigate is angled even if it is technically 'wrong', it looks dead cool in the design window)
Well, angled views look better with probably all hulls, but the point of the design screen is to have a view that actually makes some sense when spreading the ship part slots across it. With angled views the placement of the slots is kind of ackward IMO.

MatGB
Creative Contributor

#13 Post by MatGB »

True, but it's equally so in some of the straight view ones, especially in the newer organic line art, getting slot positions into vaguely sensible locations for some of those hulls was a real pain. So much so I almost suggested we move all external slots, where possible, to not obscure the art. Still, I've done that for the new art, and done the slot positions, and fixed my typo and copy paste error. I need more coffee.
Mat Bowles

Captain M
Krill Swarm

#14 Post by Captain M »

Completed the small basic hull:
Attachments
Small hull icon
Small hull icon
basic-small-hull_small.png (23.08 KiB) Viewed 11920 times
Small hull side view
Small hull side view
basic-small-hull.png (207.98 KiB) Viewed 11920 times